Author Topic: How would the Warriors build their roster if......  (Read 1119 times)

How would the Warriors build their roster if......
« on: January 10, 2017, 02:25:07 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
I wasn't sure where to post this, I hope here works, but if KD left the Warriors this summer how would the Warriors build their roster?

A poster in a different thread posted something that made me thing about this. I know this is totally hypothetical, and it's like a 99.99999999% lock that it won't happen, but it got me thinking?

Is there anything they could do? They unloaded some great players to get KD, what options would they actually have if he did leave??

Re: How would the Warriors build their roster if......
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 02:27:21 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
They would have Curry, Thompson and Green which is a pretty awesome starting point. It wouldn't be ideal, but I think they would be fun and could fill out their bench with a few vets that want to play for a contender. Also, why is this so far fetched? If the Warriors don't win the championship this season I would say it is only about 50 50 that Durant stays. It would obviously be considered a failure on their part to add a former MVP and top level all star and do the same or worse than the previous season.

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 02:34:25 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Was it me? Lol

Durant to the Celtics 2017 lets do it.

But on a real note, as clay pointed out, it speaks to their talent that even after losing Durant they would still have 3 top 20 players. My guess is they would go after a Bogut -esque type player to fill that role.
#JKJB

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 02:36:11 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
They would have Curry, Thompson and Green which is a pretty awesome starting point. It wouldn't be ideal, but I think they would be fun and could fill out their bench with a few vets that want to play for a contender. Also, why is this so far fetched? If the Warriors don't win the championship this season I would say it is only about 50 50 that Durant stays. It would obviously be considered a failure on their part to add a former MVP and top level all star and do the same or worse than the previous season.

I just think for a guy who seems to be concerned about his image isn't going to change teams again.

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 02:42:46 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Durant is not leaving the Warriors this summer unless everyone in that locker room hates him.  But if he does leave, GS will have cap room and still has Curry, Thompson, and Green which were the Big 3 of a champion and the runner-up the last two seasons.  GS would be fine.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 03:03:44 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
I dunno. I feel like if Durant leaves - which probably will have meant they lost the Finals or worse - there might be trouble. I only say this because Draymond has the crazy factor and Steph can have a whiny side. The latter is an UFA this summer. He's eligible for BIG extension, but only Steph knows right now if that's what he'll take. If you're Golden State, you gotta offer him the super max upwards of $200M - because if you don't, he may well think, "Well if you don't think I'm worth the max, some other team *cough* Charlotte *cough* will." I doubt he leaves, but who knows.

Draymond is a total wildcard. He could either continue to improve and be completely irreplaceable for years, or he could implode into a groin-kicking, genital-pic-taking, champaigning-and-campaigning Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.. Who knows.

Klay is on the books until 2019. He's safe.

Still, this summer, Steph has to be their No. 1 option. We'll see how this season goes, but I gotta say, if they don't find someone who can defend the paint outside Draymond, it will be tough for them to make the Finals. Tougher than last year when they had Bogut. Who had nothing but bad things to say about the organization on his way out.

All of this is to say: Joe Lacob definitely p---ed off the basketball gods.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 03:34:58 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I just think for a guy who seems to be concerned about his image isn't going to change teams again.
yup

its image suicide for him to jump ship twice in two years.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 03:40:25 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

yup

lol it was image suicide to jump from the team that just beat you in the WCF coming back from 3-1. At this point he has no image other than people calling him out on that move. It won't impact his image one way or the other if he switches teams again. Shaq played for what 6 teams?
I don't think anybody is going to be super impressed if he decided to keep resigning with Golden State or care if he decided to sign somewhere else. 

Edit: As someone that lives in Oakland I can also tell you that he is not incredibly embraced by Warriors fans. Don't get me wrong they like him and have his jerseys, but it is not the same as Curry, Thompson or Dray that are Golden State guys and came up with the team.

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 03:43:15 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Curry, Thompson, Green.

Bird rights on Iggy, Livingston, Clark, McAdoo -- possible some of these may need to be renounced.  However, wouldn't shock me if Iggy + Livingston re-signed at the vet minimum.

Still have Looney, Jones, McCaw under contract.

Draft a couple more young guys.  Sign a few veteran minimum ringchasers.  Maybe use the MLE?

They'd be just fine.  Still a contender, just not an overwhelming favorite.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 03:43:59 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

yup

lol it was image suicide to jump from the team that just beat you in the WCF coming back from 3-1. At this point he has no image other than people calling him out on that move. It won't impact his image one way or the other if he switches teams again. Shaq played for what 6 teams?
I don't think anybody is going to be super impressed if he decided to keep resigning with Golden State or care if he decided to sign somewhere else. 

Edit: As someone that lives in Oakland I can also tell you that he is not incredibly embraced by Warriors fans. Don't get me wrong they like him and have his jerseys, but it is not the same as Curry, Thompson or Dray that are Golden State guys and came up with the team.
Yeah it was image suicide, but I dont think KD realized how much hate he was gonna recieve. If he does it again the hate will just double. I dont think he wants to go through that again.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 03:52:06 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

yup

Yeah it was image suicide, but I dont think KD realized how much hate he was gonna recieve. If he does it again the hate will just double. I dont think he wants to go through that again.

I think you are kind of missing my point. When you do it the first time there is legit outrage leaving a team you came up with and made a finals with that drafted you. He has no roots with Oakland and hasn't even been totally embraced yet here (some fans are not even sure they are better off with him than with Barnes, Bogut, Speights and Barbosa). People in Oakland will call him some names if he leaves for sure, but it is not going to rock the NBA landscape like his first switch. It really isn't any kind of big deal if he signs somewhere else. Probably not a lot of people on this forum that live in Oakland either that get as much access to local media, fans etc.

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 03:55:14 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Curry, Thompson, Green.

Bird rights on Iggy, Livingston, Clark, McAdoo -- possible some of these may need to be renounced.  However, wouldn't shock me if Iggy + Livingston re-signed at the vet minimum.

Still have Looney, Jones, McCaw under contract.

Draft a couple more young guys.  Sign a few veteran minimum ringchasers.  Maybe use the MLE?

They'd be just fine.  Still a contender, just not an overwhelming favorite.

I'm wondering when Iggy is cooked. He is about to turn 33 in a few weeks and his numbers are completely cratering across the board. He seemed to really have some advantages from his freakish athleticism that is starting to decline (down from 35% 3's the last few years to 31%, 2p shooting down and getting 5.5 points in 25 minutes)

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 04:01:29 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

yup

I think you are kind of missing my point. When you do it the first time there is legit outrage leaving a team you came up with and made a finals with that drafted you. He has no roots with Oakland and hasn't even been totally embraced yet here (some fans are not even sure they are better off with him than with Barnes, Bogut, Speights and Barbosa). People in Oakland will call him some names if he leaves for sure, but it is not going to rock the NBA landscape like his first switch. It really isn't any kind of big deal if he signs somewhere else. Probably not a lot of people on this forum that live in Oakland either that get as much access to local media, fans etc.
yeah Ill agree that it is less shocking if he leaves again and there isnt the same  feeling of him ripping the hearts out of his fans.

However, if he leaves twice from two real contenders in two years all the question marks in OKC will be filled in.

Did KD leave because management couldnt pony up the cash to pay for guys? --> now irrelevant
Was Russ a bad teammate who was overrated and couldnt play in the clutch?--> nope KDs fault
Did Russ and KD have a bad relationship that was largely Russ's fault?--> Russ competed KD was weak and afraid of the moment etc.

If he cant get it done and bails on the STACKED GSW now it is all his fault.
Why didnt GSW succeed? answer: because KD ruined team chemistry
all those questions about whether the blame for KD leaving sat with Thunder and Russ or KDs flaws are answered and the answer for all of them becomes KD.

If he stays with GSW for a decade and wins a few rings he will be welcomed as a GSW legend and those furious that he left OKC will become irrelevant. If he leaves twice the pressure for him to win multiplies exponentially and the number of questions he has to answer doubles.