Author Topic: Celtics (23-14) at Raptors (24-13) Game #38 1/10/17  (Read 49621 times)

Re: Celtics (23-14) at Raptors (24-13) Game #38 1/10/17
« Reply #615 on: January 10, 2017, 10:31:12 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
LibertyBallers is handing out free "Hinkie points" for referrals this week, I believe.  If any one is interesting, my screen name is "LarBrdFan"
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #616 on: January 10, 2017, 10:33:29 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
And more IT hero ball! I LOVE IT!  >:(
You can't have it both ways. Crowder sucked tonight. Smart's offense dried up. G money is an iso player also. What else can IT do there?

IT absolutely can't go to the hoop and upfake. It is a guaranteed block. If he is going to the hoop, he needs to go full speed.

The crappy outside shots, well, I am not sure what to say.

Worst lost of the season...easy.
Over reacting much?

Toronto proved they are the more battle tested team. They showed up when it mattered. Cs just have to learn from this.

You don't think so? I understand that the loss to the Pelicans was technically a worse loss and there were others where we lost by more points, but this one was very disappointing. We had an opportunity to make a real statement on the road against our biggest competition in getting to the ECF and we had a meltdown of epic proportions. 

I get that Bradley would have solved a number of problems, but this loss sucked.

« Reply #617 on: January 10, 2017, 10:33:37 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Very disappointing play down the stretch. This should have been a win.

I still think we're the better team.

We may be a better overall team, but it seems the difference is DeRozan, and it's large enough for them to win in a series.

Too bad we don't have a 6'4" bulldozing elite defensive wing to put on him. Oh wait...

If you look on the 1st/2nd page, I said I'd like to see them put Smart on DeRozan, even if it meant starting Jaylen on Powell.  Totally agree.

Yeah, that wasn't directed at you. It was meant as a slight for Stevens for inexplicably taking him off of Derozan in the 3rd.

« Reply #618 on: January 10, 2017, 10:34:06 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
I thought Al Horford was supposed to be an all star but he doesn't play like one

No he does not.

I like Horford plenty. he fits right in on this team and is a very good player - but he is a long way from being a superstar and forget about any mention as a franchise player. In the 70's, he would have come off the bench to spell Silas. In the 80's he would be our 4th post player behind Parrish, McHale, Max. The 2000's group would have him as a 6th man giving Garnett a rest .................. and we are paying him $25M a year !!!!!!!!!
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #619 on: January 10, 2017, 10:34:52 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
We need Butler or Boogie at the deadline

Crowder and the Nets picks get it done, this team as is is nothing but another 1st round exit
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #620 on: January 10, 2017, 10:37:01 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
You can't have it both ways. Crowder sucked tonight. Smart's offense dried up. G money is an iso player also. What else can IT do there?

IT absolutely can't go to the hoop and upfake. It is a guaranteed block. If he is going to the hoop, he needs to go full speed.

Over reacting much?

Toronto proved they are the more battle tested team. They showed up when it mattered. Cs just have to learn from this.

You don't think so? I understand that the loss to the Pelicans was technically a worse loss and there were others where we lost by more points, but this one was very disappointing. We had an opportunity to make a real statement on the road against our biggest competition in getting to the ECF and we had a meltdown of epic proportions. 

I get that Bradley would have solved a number of problems, but this loss sucked.
The Raptors took the Cavs to 6 games last year. They are good. We would be lucky to get a game off the Cavs.

we are making progress. We played the raptors tough and got their best.

« Reply #621 on: January 10, 2017, 10:40:35 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Over reacting much?

The Raptors took the Cavs to 6 games last year. They are good. We would be lucky to get a game off the Cavs.

Without AB at that. Sure there are issues esp rebounding, but you cant just look at the negative side alone.

« Reply #622 on: January 10, 2017, 10:44:03 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!

Over reacting much?

Without AB at that. Sure there are issues esp rebounding, but you cant just look at the negative side alone.

With or without AB Toronto has the clear size advantage on the perimeter. Not really going to change.

« Reply #623 on: January 11, 2017, 12:39:06 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

Over reacting much?

With or without AB Toronto has the clear size advantage on the perimeter. Not really going to change.

Avery is 6'2  :o

Didn't see the game, but seems like we played OK, bit cold from 3 (that had to happen eventually) and over the last 5 minutes, and DeRozan is unstoppable when hot.

I won't argue that we lack the personnel to beat that team regularly though. We have no defensive cover for DeRozan except maybe Jaylen after a year or two.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #624 on: January 11, 2017, 01:25:52 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Why don't NBA coaches doubleteam players more when they're going off?  They see one guy essentially beating them by himself and they rarely ever decide to just double them every time they cross halfcourt and force someone else to make a shot.

Mike

Because 9/10 on a pick and roll it will be lob because the big can't get over fast enough to fully trap the ballhandler.

No, I mean double him before the pick comes.  Force him to give the ball up and, if necessary, give somebody else an open 18 foot jump shot.

I mean, a well coached team will move the ball and take advantage of the imbalance in your defense created by double teaming and great defense is as much about spacing as great offense.  What I'm talking about are those situations where you aren't playing great defense, the other team has momentum and literally one guy is making shot after shot after shot.

Teams double the guy is the post all the time.  I don't understand why the strategy is almost never used on the perimeter, if only to try and disrupt the other team's rhythm.

Mike

« Reply #625 on: January 11, 2017, 04:19:34 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Kelly Olynyk--Once again Soft as Diarrhea.
Is Zeller still sick-?...or just on the trading block--cause we could have used a big body tonight.

Sick of these WEAK "Big" "men"
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #626 on: January 11, 2017, 11:22:55 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Just watched the game on league pass. Toronto is just the better team right now and with the win, have seemingly solidified their spot as the 2nd best team in the East. I thought it would be a big game and to quote sheed, both teams played hard. Boards played a huge role (17 OREB for the raps) and will continue to be huge until we can somehow board better.
- LilRip