Poll

If we could keep Smart, Bradley, Jae and Brown, would you trade #1 pick?

Yes
33 (37.5%)
No
55 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Author Topic: 2017: Would you trade the #1 pick for Jimmy Butler ?  (Read 13343 times)

Re: 2017: Would you trade the #1 pick for Jimmy Butler ?
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2017, 08:15:52 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm tempted to ask this as a FanPost on Blog A Bull. (#1 pick + more good enough for Butler?)

But I fear they are just going to bash me and say Butler is untouchable OR he's worth WAY more than just a "measly #1 pick".  :laugh:

Ha the bloggers all hate us because Celtics fans spam trade ideas for him all over the place while also saying he's only a little better than Jae and Bradley.  Hopefully the front office has more sense.  You can post it to troll them I guess, but the discourse isn't going to be very great.

Well to be fair, you could sort of make the case last year, but Butler has really elevated his game this season and is putting up the stats to prove it.

I'm talking about Bradley-Butler, not Crowder. Butler >>> Crowder (and I love crowder a lot too)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 08:21:29 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2017, 08:23:03 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Jimmy Butler is a certified Grade A star, of course I would trade the #1 pick for him (although not much else besides filler and maybe one 'B' prospect).

"Premium Brand Ricky Davis"......dumbest statement ever.

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2017, 08:25:15 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
If I'm the Bulls FO, I'm thinking that to trade Butler, I would have to get:

- 2017 Brooklyn Pick (#1 pick)
- Avery Bradley
- 2019 Memphis/Clippers Pick
- Amir OR Zeller (salary filler)
- Another young player/prospect (NOT Smart, Brown or Rozier)

Would you guys do that? I would try to send Rozier and another non-Brooklyn Pick instead of Bradley, but I'm thinking the Bulls will understandably ask for this package for Butler if the pick is #1.

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2017, 08:26:58 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Sign Noel, draft Josh Jackson.

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2017, 08:35:21 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
YES!!!

This draft will be revealed as overrated as time goes on. Mark my words.

« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2017, 08:37:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Jimmy Butler is a certified Grade A star, of course I would trade the #1 pick for him (although not much else besides filler and maybe one 'B' prospect).

"Premium Brand Ricky Davis"......dumbest statement ever.
Grade B- at most.  Dude hasn't even made 2nd Team All-NBA.  He's a fine player.  No doubt.  Top 20-30.  They reportedly wanted Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder, #3 and #16 for him.  I wouldn't pay that.  Danny wouldn't either.  They apparently would want more than just the 2017 1st and I wouldn't pay that either.  We have a shot at a legit superstar with that pick.   Butler is 27 and his own ballclub apparently doesn't think he's a good enough player to build around.

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2017, 08:38:35 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Through 1 quarter, Butler has 1 point, 2 assists and 2 rebounds in 12 minutes.

Bulls down 31-20 to the Thunder.

« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2017, 08:45:28 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
This franchise has had multiple opportunities for franchise players via the draft and whiffed in 1997 (though Billups developed into a great player for other teams), 2007 (though we made the best of it), 2014 (though Smart looks like a quality role player) and 2016 (though Jaylen may still develop into something special).   We're due to actually land a special player.   Considering it would likely take more than just that pick to land Premium Brand Ricky Davis, I'm definitely in the "no" camp.   Keep the pick and let's hope for the best.

You realize you just made a convincing case for trading the pick and then decided you prefer the opposite, right?
I don't see Butler as a franchise player.   Obviously the Bulls don't either.  I'd rather keep the pick and try to land a franchise player than buying high and overpaying for an overrated guy who isn't going to move the needle enough.

Whether Butler is a franchise player isn't the question though. The question, as you (quite correctly) set it up, is whether you'd rather have Butler vs. Billups. Or Butler vs. Jeff Green. Or Butler vs. Smart. Or Butler vs. Jaylen Brown.

Because most of the time, that's who you're getting with a top 3 lottery slot.

I understand the motive to keep it because...what if?

But we have to recognize that "what if" turns into "franchise player" about 1 out of 10 times you have that top lottery slot. Maybe less often, depending on how you define the term.

« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2017, 08:53:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
This franchise has had multiple opportunities for franchise players via the draft and whiffed in 1997 (though Billups developed into a great player for other teams), 2007 (though we made the best of it), 2014 (though Smart looks like a quality role player) and 2016 (though Jaylen may still develop into something special).   We're due to actually land a special player.   Considering it would likely take more than just that pick to land Premium Brand Ricky Davis, I'm definitely in the "no" camp.   Keep the pick and let's hope for the best.

You realize you just made a convincing case for trading the pick and then decided you prefer the opposite, right?
I don't see Butler as a franchise player.   Obviously the Bulls don't either.  I'd rather keep the pick and try to land a franchise player than buying high and overpaying for an overrated guy who isn't going to move the needle enough.

Whether Butler is a franchise player isn't the question though. The question, as you (quite correctly) set it up, is whether you'd rather have Butler vs. Billups. Or Butler vs. Jeff Green. Or Butler vs. Smart. Or Butler vs. Jaylen Brown.

Because most of the time, that's who you're getting with a top 3 lottery slot.

I understand the motive to keep it because...what if?

But we have to recognize that "what if" turns into "franchise player" about 1 out of 10 times you have that top lottery slot. Maybe less often, depending on how you define the term.
You bring up a good point.   But here's my perspective on each of those drafts.

1997 - Was seen as Duncan or bust.  We busted, but actually made the most of it.
2007 - Oden or Durant or bust.  We busted, but made the most of it.
2014 - Was seen as having several elite-level players.  Top 3 were thought to be excellent.  At least 5 others were thought to have star potential.  We ended up with Smart (one of the players thought to have star potential at the time).  He's been a disappointment, but still possibly developing.
2016 - Was seen as Simmons, to a lesser extent Ingram, or bust.   We busted, but Jaylen might prove everyone wrong

2017 - From what I'm reading, this isn't a 1 player draft.  It sounds like even if we end up with a pick in the 5-8 range, it's going to be a better prospect than anyone that was available to us last year.   Multiple players with star potential. 

Not all drafts are created equally.  This one is apparently exceptional.   I'd rather keep the pick and hope for the best (with pretty solid odds we'll get a great prospect) than give up this pick and other major assets for a guy who we know isn't superstar caliber. 

So yes, I'd rather have Butler over Jeff Green, Billups, Smart or Jaylen... 

But it sounds like there are some outstanding prospects available in this draft.

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2017, 08:59:43 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

Wow...that would be amazing!

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2017, 09:09:38 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Yes. In a second.

+1, people on this board are underestimating Butler big time.

« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2017, 09:18:29 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Yes. In a second.

+1, people on this board are underestimating Butler big time.

Two Questions

1. Does he really thread the needle for this team like PG13 or Cousins would?

2. Is he worth the #1 pick, Bradley/Smart, a 2019 Grizz OR Clips FIRST, and MORE. Will that significantly improve the team especially if Smart or Bradley is shipped in the process? Or for all we know, they could also ask for the 2018 Nets Pick or one of Brown/Crowder.

And I LOVE Butler. He's one of my favorite players and I love watching him. Just don't think it's worth it. If nothing materializes, keep the pick and sign Millsap/Noel/Ibaka (one of the three).

I would overpay a bit for PG13 or Cousins, but not Butler.

« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2017, 09:22:06 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159

Yeah, that and Butler doesn't put us over the top. Might as well ride with the competitive veteran core we have here while filling up our pipeline for the future.

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2017, 09:23:57 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1765
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Is there a way to trade for Butler using the Nets pick AND sign a big like Noel or Ibaka?

Or would that limit our cap space this summer to sign anyone?

I mean, trading for Butler + signing Ibaka/Noel/Millsap would be very nice.

I don't have the #s in front of me and I know there are others more qualified to answer this question, but if we traded Bradley and the #1, we could get close, assuming one of those three would be willing to take quite a bit less than their respective maxes (big assumption, but still solid contracts). This would also entail losing KO, Mickey, Jackson, Young, and probably not bringing over Yab/Zizic. Re-signing Amir, Zeller, or JJ would also be out of the question unless one was willing to sign for the room exception or vet minimum.

It's not a bad idea to get a surefire all-star when you can, but #1 and Bradley is probably a bit of an overpay and there is no guarantee that we will get a bargain big man to sign with us in the offseason. If we could just do the #1, I probably reluctantly do it, but then we would need to trade for a big man.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 10:15:39 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2017, 09:34:14 PM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91

Jackson is straight trash. His future is at best a 4th option on offense. Unless he develops a jump shot.