Author Topic: 2017 NBA Draft: Does this class have a franchise player?  (Read 7050 times)

2017 NBA Draft: Does this class have a franchise player?
« on: January 08, 2017, 06:26:09 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
There has been a lot of hype for this 2017 draft class, and it looks like we will have a top 3 pick. My question is, is there a franchise player in this draft, like Lebron, Anthony Davis, Tim Duncan, type? I see a lot of point guards projected at the top, but when is the last time we had a top tier franchise player as a point guard in this league? Is there someone in this draft worth building a championship team around, or is it instead a deep top tier with many very good players but no franchise players?

Re: 2017 NBA Draft: Does this class have a franchise player?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 06:32:51 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 210
There has been a lot of hype for this 2017 draft class, and it looks like we will have a top 3 pick. My question is, is there a franchise player in this draft, like Lebron, Anthony Davis, Tim Duncan, type? I see a lot of point guards projected at the top, but when is the last time we had a top tier franchise player as a point guard in this league? Is there someone in this draft worth building a championship team around, or is it instead a deep top tier with many very good players but no franchise players?
Not since Steph Curry.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 06:35:26 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Not since Steph Curry.

Well, is there anyone of his level in this draft? Are Fultz or Ball that type of player?

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 06:41:36 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Not since Steph Curry.

Westbrook, Harden, CP.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 06:45:42 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I am an unabashed Harry Giles proponent. Jeff Goodman said that Giles was, other than Anthony Davis, the best prospect he had ever seen.

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 06:47:47 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 210
Not since Steph Curry.

Well, is there anyone of his level in this draft? Are Fultz or Ball that type of player?
Odds are no but those are the odds every year and it happens on occasion.  Personally I think that Fultz could be that type of player.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 06:51:38 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Not since Steph Curry.

Nobody knew Steph Curry was that level player when he was drafted.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 07:02:23 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
There is no obvious standout if you take Danny at his word that this draft is deeper at the top with little separation currently. I don't see that any transcendent talent myself, but it's early.

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 07:18:46 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
I am an unabashed Harry Giles proponent. Jeff Goodman said that Giles was, other than Anthony Davis, the best prospect he had ever seen.

Really? I hadn't heard that before, that sounds promising!

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 07:23:38 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
There is no obvious standout if you take Danny at his word that this draft is deeper at the top with little separation currently. I don't see that any transcendent talent myself, but it's early.

Yeah, I saw that quote from Ainge recently that they have all of their guys looking at this at the moment, and there is really no separation between the top 4-5 guys. That either means there are 4-5 potential franchise players up there, or none.

This is going to be the defining moment of Ainge's rebuild, and possibly his career. If he trades the pick for a star, it better be someone who helps bring in banner 18 and maybe more. If he uses the pick, it puts us in a bind if it's a PG, with Smart here, and IT's free agency coming up and Horford getting older.

This is the big moment for Ainge, it will be very interesting to see what direction he takes soon.

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 07:29:03 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Looks a bit like Bosh with that #1 jersey and rangy 6-11 body. Only with the lower body strength of Tristan Thompson. Impressive combination of physical tools.

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 07:33:35 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Not since Steph Curry.
[/quote

Nobody knew Steph Curry was that level player when he was drafted.

Or Harden or Westbrook, or Giannis.  Right now I'd say there isn't an obvious franchise player, but lots of potential at the top.  Odds are one or two of these guys emerges at some point, but that may not be until well after the draft.  Tough job these GM's have.

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 07:41:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm sure there's a perennial all-star in the draft.  A top-15 player who will put up big numbers and will be clearly the best player on his team.

I don't think there's a Duncan / Lebron type (and would disagree that Davis is in that category). Those are once in a generation players.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 07:51:24 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
There are a lot of players with star potential but no one looks like a franchise player.  Maybe Giles could be but he's going to have to show a whole lot more improvement.  If you combine this draft with last year's draft, Simmons would go #1. 

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 05:26:10 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
There are a lot of players with star potential but no one looks like a franchise player.  Maybe Giles could be but he's going to have to show a whole lot more improvement.  If you combine this draft with last year's draft, Simmons would go #1.
Early, I think Giles has a shot. He has been hurt. But We surely do need an option so we don't have to draft a PG if they are the best players available in top 4.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek