Author Topic: Lauri Markkanen (Merged)  (Read 11299 times)

Re: Lauri Markkanen heating up
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 08:38:47 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
I thought she was one of Trump's appointees....or someone Obama pardoned.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2017, 08:42:16 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
sounds like an F1 driver

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2017, 09:51:18 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I thought she was one of Trump's appointees....or someone Obama pardoned.

Be a nice teammate for Kelly and Avery.   And if we get Courtney back...

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2017, 10:13:25 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 10:24:20 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Lauri Markkanen looks like a: Not as good Kelly. He looks slow. I guess his standing reach looks better but he doesn't look like the passer Kelly is. I'm not a fan. Looks like he'll be outside the top ten.

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2017, 07:03:27 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Lauri Markkanen looks like a: Not as good Kelly. He looks slow. I guess his standing reach looks better but he doesn't look like the passer Kelly is. I'm not a fan. Looks like he'll be outside the top ten.

slower than KO? LM is definitely a better shooter at the same age

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 07:47:06 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I like his shooting stroke, he is not the most athletic guy but he looked better than KO in college in terms of athletic movement.   Looks soft to me and a finesse player, I wonder how easily he will get that shot off in the pros.  I do not think he is a top five pick, though.

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 08:47:27 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
I called him as my binky at the start of the season when we thought the Nets might be better than projected!

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 08:48:41 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I like his shooting stroke, he is not the most athletic guy but he looked better than KO in college in terms of athletic movement.   Looks soft to me and a finesse player, I wonder how easily he will get that shot off in the pros.  I do not think he is a top five pick, though.

High and quick release for his size is pretty dangerous

As long as he can play versatile defense, I think he will go in the top 10

He does not have above avg quickness or explosiveness but can cover ground quickly due to long strides.  Good looking agility

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 08:56:58 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I like Lowry, I mean Laurie, but only if we acquire a pick at the end of the top 10. I wouldn't for a second pick him in the top 5, I don't care how good his workouts will be. He's no Dirk (or even Kevin Love).

Markannen Reconsidered - Top 5 no question
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2017, 01:00:31 AM »

Offline JAuch12

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 1
To preface, I am a big time Arizona fan who lives in Tucson.  I've watched every AZ game and have seen Markannen up close in person a handful of times.  The layman's evaluation of him is that he could be a richer man's Olynyk. A skilled 7-footer who can shoot who could come in and produce close to the level of Olynyk and hopefully grow from there. 

My impressions of him at the beginning of the year were that he was a skilled, stronger than I imagined, 7-footer who could move decently and had 3-point range.  I admit, I had some hesitancy initially given the way that he doesn't force anything.  While it was a good thing that he wasn't being stupid and taking ill-advised shots and turning the ball over, it was frustrating that he was regularly the best player on the court, but didn't act like it.   

Now, 8 games into the Pac-12 season, I am forced to adjust my expectations.  It is clear now that he is not just a 7-footer who can shoot the 3, but he is an incredible shooter period.  He is shooting 50% on 3's for the year, and is over 60% in Pac-12 play - as a 19 year-old freshman! He's definitely not soft or weak...he's actually already pretty ripped, and is averaging 7.5 rebounds per game.  He shows bball IQ and great passing ability.  He can also put the ball on the floor and has a decent mid-range game. He is averaging the same 17 and 7 as Olynyk did his last year in college, except that Olynyk was a redshirt junior and only shot 30% from 3 that year.  As cliche as it is to compare a skilled 7-footer who can shoot to Dirk, I don't think it's a stretch in this case at all. 

If you consider the Dirk comparison, there is nothing to say that as a 19 year-old he doesn't measure up skill-wise or shooting-wise, and he is at least on par with Dirk athletically.  He definitely seems like a great kid that is willing to put in the work. The only question I have is that confidence and alpha-dog instinct.  The confidence seems to be growing as the year goes on, and I can't see how someone that good doesn't eventually acquire some of that alpha-dog swagger. 

Given the way that the game is going these days, a 19 year-old, elite-shooting, strong, skilled 7-footer seems like about as much of a sure thing as you can get. I wouldn't put him above Fultz at this point, but he's gotta be in the argument after that. 

Makes me feel all the better about the Nets pick, even in the worst-case scenario. 

« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 01:19:52 AM by JAuch12 »

Re: Markannen Reconsidered - Top 5 no question
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2017, 01:11:32 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Yeah when your worst case scenario in the top 5 is dirk you're pretty good
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2017, 01:51:00 AM »

Offline JAuch12

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 1

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2017, 08:41:39 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
How is Ryan Anderson as a comparison?

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2017, 09:11:14 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I watched the UCLA game. He's already a big guy, and looks in excellent shape. He has the build to be a pretty sturdy guy in a few years. He had a nice feel for the game offensively, and his shot was beautiful-  the guy will be an elite shooter. What I didn't like was that he looked too slow laterally for the pro game and he didn't show any physicality. He didn't know how to clear space inside. The smaller UCLA bigs were more physical than he was. He didn't look like anything other than a mediocre rebounder.

He's going to be good, but probably not great.