Author Topic: Great Article on Why We Need to Keep Pick and Draft Fultz  (Read 3050 times)

Great Article on Why We Need to Keep Pick and Draft Fultz
« on: May 17, 2017, 05:46:27 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/5/17/15641058/markelle-fultz-boston-celtics-2017-nba-draft

Pretty much agree with this article.

While going after a free agent like Hayward would be cool, we may be better off sticking with our current roster.  IT and Avery could continue to start.  They would get their money, from us, in another year. During the duration of their next contract, Smart, Fultz and Rozier would get more and more playing time, and eventually two of them (Fultz and Rozier/Smart?) would take over the starting role, and IT and AB would become more bench guys.  As the young guys' contracts come up, we give them what the market dictates. Fultz should project to be a max guy easily based on current forecast. 

This idea could work well particularly if Zizic could eventually absorb Al Horford's minutes over the next several years, and Brown and Yabu handle the 3/4 slot.  In addition, we should be able to draft an additional quality 4/5 guy with the 2018 Nets pick.   I am of course glossing over some salary cap issues, but they are a lot easier to address when you are growing through the draft then through free agency.  I really wonder if we are making too much out of our cap space. Could be more trouble than it's worth to sign a free agent. Especially if not an elite guy like Durant.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 06:00:38 PM by footey »

Re: Great Article on Why We Need to Keep Pick and Draft Fultz
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 12:13:28 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
 I read this article , good read on how he will contribute

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 12:37:48 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/5/17/15641058/markelle-fultz-boston-celtics-2017-nba-draft

While going after a free agent like Hayward would be cool, we may be better off sticking with our current roster.  IT and Avery could continue to start.  They would get their money, from us, in another year. During the duration of their next contract, Smart, Fultz and Rozier would get more and more playing time, and eventually two of them (Fultz and Rozier/Smart?) would take over the starting role, and IT and AB would become more bench guys.  As the young guys' contracts come up, we give them what the market dictates. Fultz should project to be a max guy easily based on current forecast. 

This idea could work well particularly if Zizic could eventually absorb Al Horford's minutes over the next several years, and Brown and Yabu handle the 3/4 slot.  In addition, we should be able to draft an additional quality 4/5 guy with the 2018 Nets pick.   I am of course glossing over some salary cap issues, but they are a lot easier to address when you are growing through the draft then through free agency.  I really wonder if we are making too much out of our cap space. Could be more trouble than it's worth to sign a free agent. Especially if not an elite guy like Durant.
IMO Fultz does not need to be spoonfed. He should be able to come in day 1 and play on par with Lillard's rookie season. The only factor is how they play, not how old/experienced they are. Zizic's game is nothing like Horfords and Yabu may never even be an NBA player. I think you are overvaluing some players and super underestimating others

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 12:46:06 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

IMO Fultz does not need to be spoonfed. He should be able to come in day 1 and play on par with Lillard's rookie season. The only factor is how they play, not how old/experienced they are. Zizic's game is nothing like Horfords and Yabu may never even be an NBA player. I think you are overvaluing some players and super underestimating others

Yabusele couldn't any be worse than Zeller or Kelly, right?

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 01:24:16 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 01:31:08 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I can see Fultz eventually becoming a starter.  But smart and rozier would be massive downgrades.  And brown?  Who knows what he'll be.

Why does everyone want to be the sixers?  That doesn't work very often.  Hayward is a significant upgrade over anyone on the roster not names IT.  And I would take hayward over IT over the next five years.  So why not go after Hayward AND draft and keep fultz?

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 01:37:49 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I hadn't seen this about Fultz before:  http://nesn.com/2017/06/markelle-fultz-reportedly-had-bad-shooting-day-in-celtics-workout/

In fairness to Fultz, he was probably rusty after not having played in quite some time owing to whatever is wrong with his knee. 

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 01:46:09 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

The same season where Lillard played, and started, all 82 games, averaging 38.6 minutes per contest, attempting almost 16 shots per game, and averaged 19 ppg for the year? :o  Sorry, but I just can't see him getting anywhere near those minutes, let alone shot attempts, on this team next season, unless, of course, I've completely misunderstood your point, lol ;D.

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 05:58:11 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This article presumes he is a once in a generation player.   I see him more as a guy who put up a ton of stats on a bad team than the next LeBron or MJ.

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 07:09:57 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

The same season where Lillard played, and started, all 82 games, averaging 38.6 minutes per contest, attempting almost 16 shots per game, and averaged 19 ppg for the year? :o  Sorry, but I just can't see him getting anywhere near those minutes, let alone shot attempts, on this team next season, unless, of course, I've completely misunderstood your point, lol ;D.
Let's not forget Lillard was 22 his rookie season, not 19.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008