Author Topic: Found the Celtics future PF. Josh Jackson.  (Read 17414 times)

Re: Found the Celtics future PF. Josh Jackson.
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2017, 07:01:12 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
6'8 power forward?  He better be able to play SF.  Because 6'8 is undersized for PF in today's NBA.  We don't need to be spending a top 5 pick on an undersized player.

You need to be looking at prototypical or freakish size/length with that high of a pick as Brooklyn's projects.

Draymond green is 6'7.  Lebron is 6'8 and plays the 4 some of the time.   Those teams seem to be doing okay.

And Tristant Thompson is 6'8

but these guys are exceptions and not the norm

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2017, 07:30:18 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
He's super versatile.
He's more of an SF for me because of his average wingspan.
Reminds me of kawahi Leonard for some reason.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2017, 08:38:51 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
He's a 3, but I agree that he's a future Celtic. He's AWESOME

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2017, 08:50:32 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
6'8 power forward?  He better be able to play SF.  Because 6'8 is undersized for PF in today's NBA.  We don't need to be spending a top 5 pick on an undersized player.

You need to be looking at prototypical or freakish size/length with that high of a pick as Brooklyn's projects.

Draymond green is 6'7.  Lebron is 6'8 and plays the 4 some of the time.   Those teams seem to be doing okay.

And Tristant Thompson is 6'8

but these guys are exceptions and not the norm
They all outweigh Jackson by at least 30lbs.  Josh Jackson has the size and build of Wiggins.   

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2017, 08:54:17 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Draft Jackson and sign Noel.

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2017, 09:09:14 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

And what about Jaylen Brown?

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2017, 09:27:17 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Long term, I think Jackson/Tatum and Brown could start as interchangable 3/4.

By the time the C's are ready for that, they will need to have found a great rebounding center. Horford, Jackson and Brown doesn't provide near enough rebounding, but man would they be a problem in every other facet.

In the Jackson/Brown pairing I would expect Brown to guard the 4. Brown is 220 as a 20 year old rookie, he could easily be 230-240 when his body fills out. That is plenty of heft to guard opposing 4's.

The NBA is moving towards every player having the ability to play on the perimeter, you don't really have to worry about bigger 4's destroying smaller 4's in the post because that is not the way the league is being played.

Once Jackson and Tatum fill out, both should be able to play the 3 and the 4. Height and girth at the 4 has become secondary to shooting and defensive versatility. It's not like Jackson or Brown would be counted upon to be the primary rim protector/rebounder at the 4.

People get waaaaaay too hung up on positional archetypes. The modern NBA is all about defensive versatility, and less about each position having a specific role.

The Celtics run a lot of their offense through their 4/5, their 2 is their best rebounder and every position on the court is a threat from 3. Why do people hold onto their preconceived notion of what each position is supposed to do rather than pay attention to how the game is currently being played.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 09:39:29 AM by Evantime34 »
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2017, 10:35:33 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

What a haul!!

Sign me up!

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2017, 10:42:35 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

By the time the C's are ready for that, they will need to have found a great rebounding center. Horford, Jackson and Brown doesn't provide near enough rebounding, but man would they be a problem in every other facet.

In the Jackson/Brown pairing I would expect Brown to guard the 4. Brown is 220 as a 20 year old rookie, he could easily be 230-240 when his body fills out. That is plenty of heft to guard opposing 4's.

The NBA is moving towards every player having the ability to play on the perimeter, you don't really have to worry about bigger 4's destroying smaller 4's in the post because that is not the way the league is being played.

Once Jackson and Tatum fill out, both should be able to play the 3 and the 4. Height and girth at the 4 has become secondary to shooting and defensive versatility. It's not like Jackson or Brown would be counted upon to be the primary rim protector/rebounder at the 4.

People get waaaaaay too hung up on positional archetypes. The modern NBA is all about defensive versatility, and less about each position having a specific role.

The Celtics run a lot of their offense through their 4/5, their 2 is their best rebounder and every position on the court is a threat from 3. Why do people hold onto their preconceived notion of what each position is supposed to do rather than pay attention to how the game is currently being played.

Good question. 

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2017, 12:18:31 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Truly Outstanding Post Evantime. Bravo. TP. +1 and more.

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2017, 01:26:12 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

What a haul!!

Sign me up!

IT, Bradley, Crowder, Horford, and Noel as starters.
Rozier, Smart, Brown, and Jackson coming off the bench.

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2017, 06:10:17 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598

This. Everyone is getting excited with undersized SGs, but people forget how versatility is important in today's NBA game. You have guys like Lebron, Kawhi, Draymond, KD, Iggy and Giannis who can play almost, if not all the 5 positions in both side of the floor. If you have a elite versatile SFs, you take them over elite scoring PGs, unless they are taller than 6'5".
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 06:21:54 AM by mr. dee »

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2017, 08:05:01 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
And I am not worried about his age... >:(

The kid can play.

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2017, 09:21:26 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
He's super versatile.
He's more of an SF for me because of his average wingspan.
Reminds me of kawahi Leonard for some reason.

What is his wingspan? Is it under 7 feet?

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2017, 09:25:03 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
That's fine. if you put him on the Jared Sullinger diet.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens