Author Topic: Patriots Playoffs 2016 Season  (Read 27520 times)

Patriots Playoffs 2016 Season
« on: January 07, 2017, 05:56:55 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Hope it's OK to create a new topic for Patriots playoff talk apart from the NFL 2016 season thread.  We've had dedicated Patriots threads in the past and I feel like the NFL thread is targeted to fans of all teams. 

Wondering who you hope the Pats will play next week.   The Texans-Raiders game contains the likely opponent, but if the Dolphins somehow knock off the Steelers tomorrow, it will be Miami in Foxboro next week. 

Texans, Raiders and Dolphins all are flawed, especially with the Carr injury.  No elite quarterback there, though Tanehill has been a thorn for the Pats in the past (not sure if he'll be healthy).  Watching the Houston-Oakland game --  both have weapons, but the QB situation is rough for both teams.   JJ Watt probably back for Houston next week. 

As an aside, not considering who would be the best match-up next week, I would love to see the Steelers go down.   

I realize the Pats will be highly favored no matter who they play, but every NFL team makes me nervous to some extent.   Who do you want the Pats to play?

Re: Patriots Playoffs 2016 Season
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 06:00:21 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Ideally the Patriots play Miami, and then the winner of this HOU/OAK game miraculously beats KC next week so that New England have an EASY road to the Super Bowl.

That being said I doubt MIA beats Pittsburgh. I think I'd rather face Houston, because we seem to have their number and if you can contain Hopkins (like they have the past few times they've faced Houston), then Osweiler will STRUGGLE. Houston's defense is really shaky as well, but they are benefitting by playing an Oakland team with Cook instead of Carr and McGloin.

Anyways Oakland is struggling big time so I think Houston will come to Foxboro next week.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 06:06:37 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I just didn't want to see the Steelers before the AFC championship so I am happy no matter what. There will be two opportunities for them to be knocked off before then so am hoping for the best. The Pats are massively favored, otherwise, and if they can just go out and execute as they have all season (besides the stupid Seahawks goal-line situation), then we should be good to go.

Not trying to be overconfident, though - still having a tough time with those two Giants SB losses as well as the 21-pt blown 2nd half lead to Payton game which gave him his first undeserved SB win (last year's was super-annoying since Osweiler essentially led that team during the season).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 06:29:56 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 06:21:35 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Hope it's OK to create a new topic for Patriots playoff talk apart from the NFL 2016 season thread.  We've had dedicated Patriots threads in the past and I feel like the NFL thread is targeted to fans of all teams.

Considering that there are about 173 Sixers threads (on a Celtics blog), this thread should be acceptable. ;D

I know that any team can beat any other on any given day, and the Patriots have had a couple of playoff klunkers during the Brady-Belichick era (bound to happen with so many playoff appearances), but I think the Chiefs and the Steelers are the only AFC teams that could reasonably be expected to give the Pats a struggle at this point.

OAK's chances have been obliterated due to injuries, and the HOU offense is pretty terrible. MIA has played better of late, but is clearly inferior to NE. I see KC as the main hurdle, primarily because of its D, but PIT has just enough pieces to maybe be a challenge.

So, whom do I want facing the Pats? I guess I don't have a preference. NE's D has started to click, the Brady/Bennett combo appears to be getting comfortable, and the Patriots have been adding weapons—signing Floyd, getting Lewis back from injury a few weeks ago, and now Amendola is back. I think they're loaded for bear.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 06:39:13 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
Other than Richard, Oakland has been completely hapless.    It may be Houston's defense, but I don't think so.  Oakland is just done.  So I want to play them next week!

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 06:59:27 PM »

• Satch Sanders
Other than Richard, Oakland has been completely hapless.    It may be Houston's defense, but I don't think so.  Oakland is just done.  So I want to play them next week!

I really do think Oakland is cooked. In my opinion, Carr's injury ended their hopes of even making the Super Bowl, and McGloin's injury just about ended their hopes of even winning a playoff game, which is too bad, because they had a great season. They may be able to beat Houston, because Houston's offense is that bad, but that's the most they can hope for.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 05:30:45 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
So it's Houston next week.   Hope KC can put a wrench in Pittsburgh's Superbowl hopes.  I'd rather see KC in the AFC championship game if the Pats get past the Texans.

Giant's defense currently stagnating Green Bay's offense.   I'd hate to see NYG in another Superbowl.  That match-up would render either the most satisfying or most  disastrous outcome. I'd rather see the Pats not have to risk the latter.  But.... that's thinking too far ahead -- just hoping they get by Houston for now.

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 05:58:11 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
Giants really dominated the 1st half, but now down 7-6.  Jordy Nelson injury will be huge if he's unable to return

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 06:14:32 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Giants really dominated the 1st half, but now down 7-6.  Jordy Nelson injury will be huge if he's unable to return

Crazy play to end the half!

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 06:18:06 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Wow...make that 14-6
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 06:20:41 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

Packers with a huge beeak on the previous play - dropped pass that would have run the clock out if caught.  I doubt it was dropped on purpose.  Hail Mary works and Giants complete the best half they could hope for down 14-6.

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 07:34:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Rodgers looks unstoppable right now.  Have a feeling the Packers are going to another Super Bowl.

Matchup with the Texans looks pretty good for the Pats.  Hopefully the Chiefs take out the Steelers.  I want no part of them in the championship game, even at home.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 07:41:32 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Any 49ers fans out there, watching Green Bay, wondering "what could have been" if the 49ers had picked Rodgers instead of Smith?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 07:43:45 PM »

• Satch Sanders

Packers with a huge beeak on the previous play - dropped pass that would have run the clock out if caught.  I doubt it was dropped on purpose.  Hail Mary works and Giants complete the best half they could hope for down 14-6.

I'm not kidding, but right before that pass was made, I thought, "The Packers seem to have more success with Hail Marys than any other team," and they did it again.

As much as I'd love to see the Pats finally beat the Giants in a Super Bowl, I ain't sad to see them eliminated.

Rodgers looks unstoppable right now.  Have a feeling the Packers are going to another Super Bowl.

Matchup with the Texans looks pretty good for the Pats.  Hopefully the Chiefs take out the Steelers.  I want no part of them in the championship game, even at home.

I think the Texans are the easiest matchup for New England, though I hope the Patriots don't take them lightly. Osweiler is terrible (I think his performance against Oakland was a fluke), and New England is firing on all cylinders right now.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 07:44:57 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
As a lifelong Patriots fan, I have no love lost for the Giants (even though I've lived in NYC for the past 8 years). And I am thoroughly enjoying this beat down.
Celtics fan for life.