Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 366840 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #1080 on: November 14, 2017, 04:37:41 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Sixers keep playing this well, my Lebron James to Philly scenario next summer won't seem so crazy.

Interesting. In that scenario James stays in the East, which is an added benefit.

However, it seems obvious they would need one more veteran piece/scorer/shooter. Portland's backcourt of Lillard and McCullom are possible targets if they underwhelm again this year.

Fultz becomes trade bait at that point. Ideally, they also resign Reddick to a team-friendly deal.

If the sixers started McCullom-Covington-James-Simmons-Embiid next year, that would be a tough team to beat. Backups would be Reddick-Holmes-Saric-McConnell-TLC-Korkmaz-Anderson.

I assume you're talking about NBA2K with salary set to "off".

After Embiid's contract kicks in, they will have 41 million in space to sign James (and potentially Reddick). They then trade Bayless, Fultz, and probably Anderson for McCullom.

Its doable with as many small contracts and rookie contracts they have on their team.
you can't just make up some fake trade scenario that would never happen. Mccollum is probably the best 2 in the game. Why would Portland get rid of him for the biggest draft bust and filler? Just to help lebron?

Its not like I want it to happen. The Blazers are the next team that is likely to make a big trade. They continue to underwhelm. Their backcourt is attrocious on defense. McCullom and Lillard are largely redundant.

They'd be getting back a major asset in Fultz, Bayless, and probably future draft picks. That's a good haul.
mccollum is a top 30 player. Fultz isn’t even top 300. Why would Portland do it?

« Reply #1081 on: November 14, 2017, 04:50:37 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Embiid would hate playing with LeBron and Simmons would be minimized too. I think those two players in particular would be very bad fits with an aging LBJ.

Klay Thompson makes a lot more sense for them (and sense for himself). It is the opposite of Lebron going there and could actually happen.
Thompson would be a much better fit stylistically and from a timeline perspective.
true, but he isn't available and won't be a free agent when they will have cap space to sign him, which makes acquiring him far more difficult.

I mean can't all the crazy ideas people are throwing around for them getting Lebron just be applied to Thompson? They wouldn't really need Covington with Klay and could get rid of him to get cap space (Covs deal is supposed to be announced tomorrow). Klay would have a chance to shine a bit more on offense separate of Curry and Durant.
Summer of 19 is a ways off.  They may have cap space by getting rid of Covington or they may not depending on this summer.  If they don't land any free agents in 18, I actually think Thompson will be their main target in 19 and they might very well get him (as I don't think GS is keeping both Klay and Dray long term and Dray seems like the more important player for them to keep - of course maybe Durant decides to "try it alone" and leave that summer allowing Klay to stay).

If the Warriors feel like they will lose him in free agency for nothing why wouldn't they take a prospect like Fultz over the summer and trade him to Philly?
Because they will likely be the two time defending NBA Champions and going for a 3rd and trading Klay makes that much more difficult.  Because trading Klay for a prospect, might turn off Durant and Green causing them to leave and thus destroying a dynasty.  Because Philly might not want to give up real assets for an expiring contract, especially when they could theoretically land him for nothing the following summer.  I'm sure there are other reasons that GS trading Klay next summer is a bad idea.

Building a dynasty involves making the proactive move to keep it going rather than a reactive move. We have seen this with the Patriots many times. Say they trade Klay for Covington and a prospect, are they still not the overwhelming title favorites? Do they not extend their dynasty window? The Warriors front office seems very proactive and smart and I would expect them to make a move before losing Klay for nothing.

« Reply #1082 on: November 14, 2017, 05:16:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Klay to Philly next year ain't happening. GSW is going to ride the Durant-Klay-Curry-Draymond core until they can't. Then if Klay wants to go to a contending or near contending team for the max during free agency, the Warriors can sign and trade him.

« Reply #1083 on: November 15, 2017, 08:36:43 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Klay to Philly next year ain't happening. GSW is going to ride the Durant-Klay-Curry-Draymond core until they can't. Then if Klay wants to go to a contending or near contending team for the max during free agency, the Warriors can sign and trade him.
except there is no benefit to Klay to a sign and trade if he could just sign with the team acquiring him anyway (like say the Sixers if they stand pat this summer).  And they can't sign and trade him to everyone anyway (only teams below the tax).  Clay is right in that if GS isn't going to re-sign Klay, they should trade them, I just don't think they will unless Klay asks out and I'm really not all that sure that they won't re-sign Klay (and then just trade him the following summer when they need to re-up Draymond). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1084 on: November 15, 2017, 08:51:54 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Philly will not be trading Covington. He's basically the best 3 point shooter in the league so far this season. He will get his money and it'll be big money.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #1085 on: November 15, 2017, 09:23:50 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Philly will not be trading Covington. He's basically the best 3 point shooter in the league so far this season. He will get his money and it'll be big money.
Today is the day Covington can be renegotiated and extended.  Rumors have been that a deal  is already in place but I'd think his hot start might have caused some adjustments to the deal. 

« Reply #1086 on: November 15, 2017, 09:24:32 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Delete.  Double post. 

« Reply #1087 on: November 15, 2017, 07:37:12 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Today is the day Covington can be renegotiated and extended.  Rumors have been that a deal  is already in place but I'd think his hot start might have caused some adjustments to the deal.

He got signed for a well done deal by them. I am not thinking of a time the Celtics gave a player massive in season raise recently, although I am sure we have done it. After next year the contract becomes very reasonable. Good job by the 76ers on this one.

« Reply #1088 on: November 15, 2017, 07:47:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

He got signed for a well done deal by them. I am not thinking of a time the Celtics gave a player massive in season raise recently, although I am sure we have done it. After next year the contract becomes very reasonable. Good job by the 76ers on this one.
you can only do it if you have cap space
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1089 on: November 15, 2017, 08:05:06 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

you can only do it if you have cap space
Hinkie and Colangelo have managed their cap space well unlike several other GMs.  Covington is the true process success story from both a team and player perspective.  He was an undrafted player and one of the 20+ d-leaguers the Sixers cycled through in their 1st tank season.  He was signed to a 4 year Hinkie special contract which made this renegotiation and extension very desirable from his perspective and the team gets good out year value. 

« Reply #1090 on: November 15, 2017, 10:54:59 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Sixers look awesome in 1st quarter vs Lakers. Men vs boys.

« Reply #1091 on: November 16, 2017, 12:55:42 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Embiid

46/15/7/7 tonight

Take it back to the 2014 draft:
Danny Ainge said in a radio interview that the team would, in fact, have taken Embiid had he been on the board when their pick came up.

“Yes, we would have,” Ainge said on The Sports Hub’s “Toucher & Rich,” via MassLive. “He was not red-flagged, meaning ‘Stay away at all costs.’ He was rated a little bit less than (he would have been) with (his injury) risk, but he was a guy that we were looking at, had he fallen.”
Modify message
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 01:01:03 AM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #1092 on: November 16, 2017, 02:19:25 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Some where Hinkie is smiling. Basketball gods need to leave Embiid alone and let him complete his future hall of fame career.

« Reply #1093 on: November 16, 2017, 02:49:12 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I'm all in for hiring Hinkie as a FO member.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #1094 on: November 16, 2017, 05:00:26 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
As always, their team lives and dies by Joel Embiid. 

It'd be a tragedy if he can't stay healthy.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?