Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 366948 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #1020 on: June 05, 2017, 11:48:38 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I don't really see a guy like holiday or Lowry signing a huge deal with Philly until embiid shows he can get through normal minutes for more than a 1/3 of a season and see how Simmons look in the pros. Remember Lebron was a lot younger than Lowry and didn't want the cavs to wait around for Wiggins. Established vets never sign on for the excitement of young players and their potential. It is literally the opposite.
They'll go where they are offered the most money like most free agents do.  Lebron wanted Wiggins traded for Love to get a 3rd star to compete for championships.  Can't see Toronto getting past the Cavs.  They're more likely to get bounced in the 1st round.  Sixers are probably a step from NOP for Holiday.

They will both get max offers multiple places most likely
you think Holiday gets a max offer?

At least Evan Turner money. Ha. There are teams in need. Once CP and Lowry stay where they are, teams will do "something."  That usually means overpaying the wrong guy.

And that wrong guy:  Jrue Holiday.

« Reply #1021 on: June 06, 2017, 01:46:38 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I don't really see a guy like holiday or Lowry signing a huge deal with Philly until embiid shows he can get through normal minutes for more than a 1/3 of a season and see how Simmons look in the pros. Remember Lebron was a lot younger than Lowry and didn't want the cavs to wait around for Wiggins. Established vets never sign on for the excitement of young players and their potential. It is literally the opposite.
They'll go where they are offered the most money like most free agents do.  Lebron wanted Wiggins traded for Love to get a 3rd star to compete for championships.  Can't see Toronto getting past the Cavs.  They're more likely to get bounced in the 1st round.  Sixers are probably a step from NOP for Holiday.

At least Evan Turner money. Ha. There are teams in need. Once CP and Lowry stay where they are, teams will do "something."  That usually means overpaying the wrong guy.

Yea. I mean I don't think it is a deal there isn't a good chance the team regrets, but he made an all-star game, is just turning 27, is a two way player and seems like less of an injury risk than chandler parsons was. It will be a lot of money. I don't see why a team like Brooklyn couldn't, and shouldn't pay more than a team like philly for a guy like him. It is kind of funny to me that people think players with tons of options are going to end up in Philly this offseason. i think after next season if Simmons looks good and Embiid stays healthy there will start to be more interest. There just seems to be too many questions right now for both players to want to join them on huge deals and for them to want to commit a huge deal without seeing their young guys on the court together a single time.

To be honest, I am a lot more interested in what a team like Minnesota does this offseason. They actually have had Towns and Wiggins play together for a few years. They were super disappointing last year, but i would rather have the guys without the injury issues. It is tough to know if players around the league like Tibs as a coach. At one point he seemed pretty highly respected.

« Reply #1022 on: June 06, 2017, 02:03:41 AM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48

Yea. I mean I don't think it is a deal there isn't a good chance the team regrets, but he made an all-star game, is just turning 27, is a two way player and seems like less of an injury risk than chandler parsons was. It will be a lot of money. I don't see why a team like Brooklyn couldn't, and shouldn't pay more than a team like philly for a guy like him. It is kind of funny to me that people think players with tons of options are going to end up in Philly this offseason. i think after next season if Simmons looks good and Embiid stays healthy there will start to be more interest. There just seems to be too many questions right now for both players to want to join them on huge deals and for them to want to commit a huge deal without seeing their young guys on the court together a single time.

To be honest, I am a lot more interested in what a team like Minnesota does this offseason. They actually have had Towns and Wiggins play together for a few years. They were super disappointing last year, but i would rather have the guys without the injury issues. It is tough to know if players around the league like Tibs as a coach. At one point he seemed pretty highly respected.
at the same time, not as many teams should have max space as last year. right?

also, that all star game was 4 years and a few major injuries ago.

We shall see.

« Reply #1023 on: June 06, 2017, 03:18:26 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

The Nets have Jeremy Lin for 2 more seasons.  They don't need a PG. 

The Twolves don't have the flexibility that the Sixers do.  They're not going to be interesting until Towns and Wiggins start playing defense. 

« Reply #1024 on: June 06, 2017, 04:11:51 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

The Twolves don't have the flexibility that the Sixers do.  They're not going to be interesting until Towns and Wiggins start playing defense.

Is this serious?
1) Lin is at best a fringe starter and came off the bench in charlotte, at times very nicely.
2) Lin signed a 3 year 36 million dollar contract. This also reflects low level starter money at best. Many elite bench players make this in the new CBA.
3) if need be Lin could play shooting guard alongside holiday or other star point guard
4) the nets desperately need young talent and are not going to turn down a player like holiday over a player like Jeremy Lin
5) they have repeatedly been linked to other point guards
6) they are expected to have up to 33 million in cap space

Look If you hope philly gets one of these guys for some reason or personally think it would be cool, fair enough. Lets at least keep the comments on other teams and their needs loosely based on facts

« Reply #1025 on: June 06, 2017, 04:27:18 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Is this serious?
1) Lin is at best a fringe starter and came off the bench in charlotte, at times very nicely.
2) Lin signed a 3 year 36 million dollar contract. This also reflects low level starter money at best. Many elite bench players make this in the new CBA.
3) if need be Lin could play shooting guard alongside holiday or other star point guard
4) the nets desperately need young talent and are not going to turn down a player like holiday over a player like Jeremy Lin

Look If you hope philly gets one of these guys for some reason or personally think it would be cool, fair enough. Lets at least keep the comments on other teams and their needs loosely based on facts
so you confirm lin is at least an elite bench player judging by his pay

« Reply #1026 on: June 06, 2017, 12:14:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Doesn't the Process dictate that the Sixers fill their PG position with a drafted player, like Fox? Covington is a good SF and Simmons will be a point forward at the PF position. So maybe they go Tatum or Jackson and try to upgrade over Covington and move him to the bench and get a SG in free agency instead...or maybe a PG that is a shooter rather than a passer, like George Hill

« Reply #1027 on: June 06, 2017, 12:23:49 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Is this serious?

so you confirm lin is at least an elite bench player judging by his pay

Well his pay AND his performance and career. He has been on 6 teams in 7 years. He has come off the bench at various points in his stops in Charlotte, LA and Houston. He wasn't paid some giant contract to come into Brooklyn and be a star. The idea that Brooklyn wouldn't take a top level point guard if one was available to them because he is on their team is fairly ludicrous. That is what I was pointing out.

I do think the Nets first attempt at a big pay first agent would be either Porter or KCP. However, it is every bit as likely a player like Holiday would sign with the Nets as he would the 76ers.

« Reply #1028 on: June 07, 2017, 01:57:53 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Is this serious?

The Nets have a whole lot of needs.  Holiday, who is about to turn 27 with an injury history, is not young talent.  Jeremy Lin is a decent starting PG.  The Nets have better uses for their cap space.  I'd expect a salary dump trade with the Blazers (e.g. Crabbe plus a 1st).  If they are going to try to spend big bucks, it would probably be on an RFA like Porter or KCP. 

As for the Sixers, I'd already said getting Lowry or Holiday by itself wouldn't be a good idea.  It could make sense if they trade for a star like Butler first.  Personally, I wouldn't commit long term big bucks in free agency this offseason due to uncertainties of Embiid's health and Simmons ability to run the offense.  I probably also wouldn't trade the #3 for #5 and #10. 
My approach in order of preference would be: 

1) Trade up for Fultz.         
        Probably would go as high as #3, better of Lakers/Sixers 2018, Saric       
        Embiid, Simmons, Fultz would be a great fit and easily best young core.

2) Trade for Butler or McCollum
        Probably couldn't get either but both would be good fit. 

3) Stand pat at #3. 
        Probably take Jackson or Fox depending on whose shooting I'm more confident in.   

« Reply #1029 on: June 07, 2017, 12:41:34 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Is this serious?

The Nets have a whole lot of needs.  Holiday, who is about to turn 27 with an injury history, is not young talent.  Jeremy Lin is a decent starting PG.  The Nets have better uses for their cap space.  I'd expect a salary dump trade with the Blazers (e.g. Crabbe plus a 1st).  If they are going to try to spend big bucks, it would probably be on an RFA like Porter or KCP. 

As for the Sixers, I'd already said getting Lowry or Holiday by itself wouldn't be a good idea.  It could make sense if they trade for a star like Butler first.  Personally, I wouldn't commit long term big bucks in free agency this offseason due to uncertainties of Embiid's health and Simmons ability to run the offense.  I probably also wouldn't trade the #3 for #5 and #10. 

1) Trade up for Fultz.         

3) Stand pat at #3. 

A guy that is just about to play his age 27 season is still considered young by most. He also seems to have overcome most of his serious injury problems (by comparison Lin is two years older). I guess I just continue to be baffled that you are presenting Lin as a decent starting point guard. These are the point guards that started the majority of their teams games last seasons

IT
Lowry
Rose
Lillard
Westbrook
Rubio
Curry
Teague
Schroeder
TJ Mcconnell
Harden
Irving
Malcom Brogden
Chris Paul
George Hill
Eric Bledsoe
Rajon Rondo
Reggie Jackson
Kemba Walker
Tony
Elfrid Payton
Michael Conley
Jrue Holiday
Darren Collison
Dangelo Russell
Emmanul Mudiay/Jamal Murray

You could argue he is similar to perhaps Reggie Jackson and Collison. Perhaps even better than Tony Parker. Maybe he plays a little better than a few of the young guys like Russell and Mudiay for the moment (but those guys are expected to surpass him or other young players like Murray will). Most of the PG's in the league are head and shoulders above Lin (which is, again, why he is on the 5th different team or so in the last 5 years and hasn't started in multiple stops).

The bottom line is that the Nets wouldn't go after a point guard because of Lin just doesn't make sense. It has even been discussed by the writers covering the team who suggest a decent chance of a solid money offer to a foreign point guard they like this offseason:

"Watching Brooklyn’s turnover-plagued offense struggle with Jeremy Lin and Brook Lopez on the bench was a reminder of how badly they need another point guard and scoring option.

Brooklyn’s interest in Teodosic is well-known. The 30-year-old point guard was voted the best international player outside the NBA by league general managers earlier this year, leading Serbia to a silver medal in Rio and CSKA Moscow — Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov’s old team — to a Euroleague title."

http://nypost.com/2017/04/12/italian-star-emerges-as-target-of-nets-international-offseason/

« Reply #1030 on: June 07, 2017, 12:43:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
clay, I agree with most of what you wrote, but your quoted article is talking about adding a back-up PG to play when Lin is on the bench and does absolutely nothing for your argument. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1031 on: June 07, 2017, 06:39:42 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Is this serious?

1) Trade up for Fultz.         

3) Stand pat at #3. 

A guy that is just about to play his age 27 season is still considered young by most. He also seems to have overcome most of his serious injury problems (by comparison Lin is two years older). I guess I just continue to be baffled that you are presenting Lin as a decent starting point guard. These are the point guards that started the majority of their teams games last seasons

IT
Lowry
Rose
Lillard
Westbrook
Rubio
Curry
Teague
Schroeder
TJ Mcconnell
Harden
Irving
Malcom Brogden
Chris Paul
George Hill
Eric Bledsoe
Rajon Rondo
Reggie Jackson
Kemba Walker
Tony
Elfrid Payton
Michael Conley
Jrue Holiday
Darren Collison
Dangelo Russell

You could argue he is similar to perhaps Reggie Jackson and Collison. Perhaps even better than Tony Parker. Maybe he plays a little better than a few of the young guys like Russell and Mudiay for the moment (but those guys are expected to surpass him or other young players like Murray will). Most of the PG's in the league are head and shoulders above Lin (which is, again, why he is on the 5th different team or so in the last 5 years and hasn't started in multiple stops).

The bottom line is that the Nets wouldn't go after a point guard because of Lin just doesn't make sense. It has even been discussed by the writers covering the team who suggest a decent chance of a solid money offer to a foreign point guard they like this offseason:

"Watching Brooklyn’s turnover-plagued offense struggle with Jeremy Lin and Brook Lopez on the bench was a reminder of how badly they need another point guard and scoring option.

Brooklyn’s interest in Teodosic is well-known. The 30-year-old point guard was voted the best international player outside the NBA by league general managers earlier this year, leading Serbia to a silver medal in Rio and CSKA Moscow — Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov’s old team — to a Euroleague title."

http://nypost.com/2017/04/12/italian-star-emerges-as-target-of-nets-international-offseason/
I guess reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.  Where did I say they wouldn't go after a PG because of Lin?  I said that Lin was decent and that they have better uses for their cap space.  Considering their situation, what does committing big bucks on a 4 year contract to Holiday or any non-star do for them?   

The article you reference says nothing about them spending big bucks on a starting PG.  It discusses two cheap Euro options for when Lin and Lopez are on the bench.  Furthermore, it has this quote about going after RFAs which surprise, surprise was what I said in my previous post.  Feel free to post more articles that support my position.  It makes these debates much easier. 

And while they certainly will chase restricted free agents such as Washington’s Otto Porter and Detroit’s Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, their reinforcements could have a foreign flavor.

« Reply #1032 on: June 07, 2017, 07:02:18 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Is this serious?

1) Trade up for Fultz.         

3) Stand pat at #3. 

IT
Lowry
Rose
Lillard
Westbrook
Rubio
Curry
Teague
Schroeder
TJ Mcconnell
Harden
Irving
Malcom Brogden
Chris Paul
George Hill
Eric Bledsoe
Rajon Rondo
Reggie Jackson
Kemba Walker
Tony
Elfrid Payton
Michael Conley
Jrue Holiday
Darren Collison
Dangelo Russell

I guess reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.  Where did I say they wouldn't go after a PG because of Lin?  I said that Lin was decent and that they have better uses for their cap space.  Considering their situation, what does committing big bucks on a 4 year contract to Holiday or any non-star do for them?   

The article you reference says nothing about them spending big bucks on a starting PG.  It discusses two cheap Euro options for when Lin and Lopez are on the bench.  Furthermore, it has this quote about going after RFAs which surprise, surprise was what I said in my previous post.  Feel free to post more articles that support my position.  It makes these debates much easier. 

And while they certainly will chase restricted free agents such as Washington’s Otto Porter and Detroit’s Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, their reinforcements could have a foreign flavor.

This your quote in full context that started this discussion

"The Nets have Jeremy Lin for 2 more seasons.  They don't need a PG.

So is it my reading comprehension, or are you forgetting what you write over the course of a day and reversing course?

« Reply #1033 on: June 07, 2017, 08:40:40 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Is this serious?

1) Trade up for Fultz.         

3) Stand pat at #3. 

IT
Lowry
Rose
Lillard
Westbrook
Rubio
Curry
Teague
Schroeder
TJ Mcconnell
Harden
Irving
Malcom Brogden
Chris Paul
George Hill
Eric Bledsoe
Rajon Rondo
Reggie Jackson
Kemba Walker
Tony
Elfrid Payton
Michael Conley
Jrue Holiday
Darren Collison
Dangelo Russell

This your quote in full context that started this discussion

"The Nets have Jeremy Lin for 2 more seasons.  They don't need a PG.

So is it my reading comprehension, or are you forgetting what you write over the course of a day and reversing course?
No.  I shorthanded that response.  My subsequent responses clarified what I meant.  To be clear, the Nets are a craptastic team.  Lopez is their only quality starter.  With all his deficiencies, Lin is their 2nd best player.  They have no good reason to give big bucks long term contracts to anyone except a star (or possibly young RFA) but if they were to do so it should be for a SG, SF or PF.