Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 364727 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #990 on: March 22, 2017, 05:12:02 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Yet another blow for Embiid and the 76ers. How many knee, foot, and back injuries and surgeries is this now for him in his short career? And this was even after they completely coddled him all season long. Looking more and more like Greg Oden 2.0.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2699501-joel-embiid-reportedly-very-likely-to-undergo-surgery-on-meniscus-tear-in-knee

Philadelphia 76ers center Joel Embiid is "very likely" to have surgery on the meniscus tear in his left knee, according to ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

Embiid was initially ruled out for the remainder of the regular season on March 1 after an MRI revealed a meniscus tear that was "more pronounced" than in previous scans.

Why didn't they do the surgery 6 weeks ago when it was discovered (or at least close to then). Considering that Okafor is currently missing games with a surgery that had a 4 week recovery over a year ago you would think they would want to get it started. Then again, they accidently used a tendon from a dog in Okafor's surgery so that seems like a one time mistake.

They must have been hoping it would heal on its own, but been unhappy with his progress when checking recently.  I think the bigger question is whether this surgery is to repair his meniscus or just remove it completely
I'm bitter.

« Reply #991 on: March 22, 2017, 05:15:35 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Yet another blow for Embiid and the 76ers. How many knee, foot, and back injuries and surgeries is this now for him in his short career? And this was even after they completely coddled him all season long. Looking more and more like Greg Oden 2.0.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2699501-joel-embiid-reportedly-very-likely-to-undergo-surgery-on-meniscus-tear-in-knee

Philadelphia 76ers center Joel Embiid is "very likely" to have surgery on the meniscus tear in his left knee, according to ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

Embiid was initially ruled out for the remainder of the regular season on March 1 after an MRI revealed a meniscus tear that was "more pronounced" than in previous scans.

Why didn't they do the surgery 6 weeks ago when it was discovered (or at least close to then). Considering that Okafor is currently missing games with a surgery that had a 4 week recovery over a year ago you would think they would want to get it started. Then again, they accidently used a tendon from a dog in Okafor's surgery so that seems like a one time mistake.

They must have been hoping it would heal on its own, but been unhappy with his progress when checking recently.  I think the bigger question is whether this surgery is to repair his meniscus or just remove it completely

The article said it was to remove a small portion, but not completely (which is generally a death knell for long-term knee health.)

« Reply #992 on: March 22, 2017, 05:17:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

The article said it was to remove a small portion, but not completely (which is generally a death knell for long-term knee health.)

50 more games in his career? RIP the process

« Reply #993 on: March 22, 2017, 05:36:18 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
This thread has gone to a really weird place.

Anyways, Embiid dancing is a non-issue. He's been practicing and working out on the court. The idea that lightly dancing around a stage is in any way going to put him at risk seems silly to me when he's playing bball at practice.

I suspect he'd be playing if this were the playoffs or something.

Well, it's not quite a non-issue - I don't think it's really something that's going to aggravate an injury, but it's definitely a bad look given the circumstances and where the team's at. I know he's only a couple weeks shy of his 23rd birthday, but this is another one of those circumstances where there probably should be more adults in the building.

What exactly is a bad look? Going to a concert? Dancing? Who cares? It's utterly irrelevant.

Can we please get the definitive guide on when NBA players are and are not allowed to enjoy their lives? Maybe a flowchart would be helpful.  ::)
1. Are you hurt?
if no---> dance publicly
if yes --> question 2.
2. Is it a leg/knee/foot/head injury
if no--> dance!
if yes --> question 3.
3. Do you have an extensive injury history?
if no--> maybe dance, probably not
if yes--> question 4
4. by yes do you mean that youve missed 194/253 games due to injury over the last four years
if no--> still probably dont dance
if yes--> question 5
5. Is an entire franchise depending on your legs staying healthy?
if no. --> probably shouldnt but not a huge deal
if yes. --> dont dance around in public. Its most definitely a bad look for you and a franchise that doesnt need anymore bad looks.
exactly.  The answer to 1 is "no".  They announced that the injury he had weeks ago was a meniscus tear.  Those heal in a couple weeks with rest.  They are keeping him out until after the deadline to showcase the other bigs.   Maybe a little longer to tank and for precautionary reasons. And honestly he might not even be out that long.  They haven't announced he's missing the rookie game or the skills challenge.  It's not a serious injury.  So he can dance if he wants to.  And he can leave his friends behind when they are traded.
TBT to when I got told that Embiid wasnt hurt.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #994 on: March 22, 2017, 05:59:05 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
It would be a shame if he isn't able to overcome these injuries given his evident talent, but there's enough cumulative evidence that the Sixers have been consistently behind the curve in dealing with his issues.

« Reply #995 on: March 22, 2017, 09:22:23 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

Because they're medical staff is chock full of morons.

But this really isn't news, anybody who didn't know this was coming after he was declared out for the year was delusional.

« Reply #996 on: March 22, 2017, 09:26:28 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum

Anyways, Embiid dancing is a non-issue. He's been practicing and working out on the court. The idea that lightly dancing around a stage is in any way going to put him at risk seems silly to me when he's playing bball at practice.

Well, it's not quite a non-issue - I don't think it's really something that's going to aggravate an injury, but it's definitely a bad look given the circumstances and where the team's at. I know he's only a couple weeks shy of his 23rd birthday, but this is another one of those circumstances where there probably should be more adults in the building.

What exactly is a bad look? Going to a concert? Dancing? Who cares? It's utterly irrelevant.

Can we please get the definitive guide on when NBA players are and are not allowed to enjoy their lives? Maybe a flowchart would be helpful.  ::)
1. Are you hurt?
if no---> dance publicly
if yes --> question 2.
if no--> dance!
if yes --> question 3.
if yes--> question 4
4. by yes do you mean that youve missed 194/253 games due to injury over the last four years
if yes--> question 5
if yes. --> dont dance around in public. Its most definitely a bad look for you and a franchise that doesnt need anymore bad looks.
exactly.  The answer to 1 is "no".  They announced that the injury he had weeks ago was a meniscus tear.  Those heal in a couple weeks with rest.  They are keeping him out until after the deadline to showcase the other bigs.   Maybe a little longer to tank and for precautionary reasons. And honestly he might not even be out that long.  They haven't announced he's missing the rookie game or the skills challenge.  It's not a serious injury.  So he can dance if he wants to.  And he can leave his friends behind when they are traded.

I never said he wasn't hurt, though none of us knew the severity of it. I said him dancing on the court was a non-issue.

It was, and is irrelevant. It's has nothing to do with this or anything else that has happened. If Bryan Colangelo wants to whine about it he can look in the mirror because Embiid was practicing and played a game and a half (pretty well) after suffering the injury.

« Reply #997 on: March 22, 2017, 09:28:47 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
It would be a shame if he isn't able to overcome these injuries given his evident talent, but there's enough cumulative evidence that the Sixers have been consistently behind the curve in dealing with his issues.

The Sixers recently held a T-Shirt design contest for a shirt that will be given away at a game. This was a submission lol...

« Reply #998 on: March 22, 2017, 09:53:07 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

1. Are you hurt?
if no---> dance publicly
if yes --> question 2.
if no--> dance!
if yes --> question 3.
if yes--> question 4
if yes--> question 5
exactly.  The answer to 1 is "no". They announced that the injury he had weeks ago was a meniscus tear.  Those heal in a couple weeks with rest.  They are keeping him out until after the deadline to showcase the other bigs.   Maybe a little longer to tank and for precautionary reasons. And honestly he might not even be out that long.  They haven't announced he's missing the rookie game or the skills challenge.  It's not a serious injury.  So he can dance if he wants to.  And he can leave his friends behind when they are traded.

I never said he wasn't hurt, though none of us knew the severity of it. I said him dancing on the court was a non-issue.

It was, and is irrelevant. It's has nothing to do with this or anything else that has happened. If Bryan Colangelo wants to whine about it he can look in the mirror because Embiid was practicing and played a game and a half (pretty well) after suffering the injury.
I wasnt referring to you.

Dancing in all likelihood had no impact on the injury, but I stand by the idea that it was dumb and a bad look for the franchise and for Joel Embiid.

Someone else said he wasnt hurt.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #999 on: March 26, 2017, 06:07:34 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Embiid had his meniscus surgery on Friday.  Expected to resume basketball activities this summer.  Maybe the Sixers medical staff will get one right for a change.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/sixers-joel-embiid-has-left-knee-surgery-to-remove-small-portion-of-meniscus/

« Reply #1000 on: March 26, 2017, 03:46:00 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
Here's a different question than I think has been asked:

What if Embiid is Bill Walton? He plays 13 injury plagued years, only has 2 relatively healthy seasons, but in one of those seasons he wins MVP and leads his team to a championship and in the other healthy season he contributes big time to another championship. 2 healthy years, 2 championships, 1 as the team's best player, the other as an indispensable role player.

Was he worth the #3 pick?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #1001 on: March 26, 2017, 03:48:39 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
Here's a different question than I think has been asked:

What if Embiid is Bill Walton? He plays 13 injury plagued years, only has 2 relatively healthy seasons, but in one of those seasons he wins MVP and leads his team to a championship and in the other healthy season he contributes big time to another championship. 2 healthy years, 2 championships, 1 as the team's best player, the other as an indispensable role player.

Was he worth the #3 pick?
yes.

« Reply #1002 on: March 31, 2017, 07:42:32 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
So now apparently Covington is out for the year with a torn meniscus, along with Okafor being out the rest of the year, too.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2701166-jahlil-okafor-robert-covington-to-miss-remainder-of-season-with-knee-injuries

So much for counting on any more wins from them this season.

« Reply #1003 on: March 31, 2017, 09:11:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
So now apparently Covington is out for the year with a torn meniscus, along with Okafor being out the rest of the year, too.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2701166-jahlil-okafor-robert-covington-to-miss-remainder-of-season-with-knee-injuries

So much for counting on any more wins from them this season.
and down 30 to the Cavs
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1004 on: June 05, 2017, 07:28:30 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If the 76ers plan to sign Lowry...I wonder who they will draft