Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 367005 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #765 on: February 27, 2017, 12:08:24 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Sixers writer Keith Pompey says Embiid is out indefinitely with swelling in his foot. Uh-oh. Poor guy. Starting to feel like if Sam Bowie was as talented as Olajuwon.

It is his knee that is swollen, not his foot. Totally different injury, due to a minor meniscus tear. Not serious, but of course the Sixers a are glad to shut him and Simmons down for the season.

Does this now put Saric in the lead for rookie of th year? Is anyone else even close?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 12:17:19 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #766 on: February 27, 2017, 12:17:18 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Just to put this on the lead page, the writer corrected his description of the injury, Embiid has swelling in his left knee, not foot.  Much better news though still not great.

Also, not sure if it was posted here but Simmons is officially out for the season.

« Reply #767 on: February 27, 2017, 12:34:23 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
The Sixers will be ready to compete when Embiid hits his 30s....
But in seriousness I am not sure at all he would resign with them (assuming he gets healthy).

« Reply #768 on: February 27, 2017, 12:42:07 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Just to put this on the lead page, the writer corrected his description of the injury, Embiid has swelling in his left knee, not foot.  Much better news though still not great.

Also, not sure if it was posted here but Simmons is officially out for the season.

I'd really hate to be a Sixers fan.  It's like buying a brand new car and having to store it in your garage while you drive your old lemon around every day...year after year.
Yup

« Reply #769 on: February 27, 2017, 02:16:25 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Sixers writer Keith Pompey says Embiid is out indefinitely with swelling in his foot. Uh-oh. Poor guy. Starting to feel like if Sam Bowie was as talented as Olajuwon.

It is his knee that is swollen, not his foot. Totally different injury, due to a minor meniscus tear. Not serious, but of course the Sixers a are glad to shut him and Simmons down for the season.

Does this now put Saric in the lead for rookie of th year? Is anyone else even close?

As of today, pretty clearly behind Brogdon of the Bucks. Brogdon leads rookies in assists and steals, has a better PER than Saric, and is a better shooter, especially from behind the arc and at the FT line. Saric beats him as a rebounder. Neither are defensively oriented. See BasketballReference.com comparison below:

http://bkref.com/tiny/oChc9

I'll take Jaylen Brown's upside over either of them. 2.5 years younger than Saric and 3.9 years younger than Brogdon.

« Reply #770 on: February 27, 2017, 02:21:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

As of today, pretty clearly behind Brogdon of the Bucks. Brogdon leads rookies in assists and steals, has a better PER than Saric, and is a better shooter, especially from behind the arc and at the FT line. Saric beats him as a rebounder. Neither are defensively oriented. See BasketballReference.com comparison below:

I'll take Jaylen Brown's upside over either of them. 2.5 years younger than Saric and 3.9 years younger than Brogdon.
crazy related to Brogdon being 4 years older than Brown! Really why you can't always compare rookies.

Related to 76ers, really hard to think Embiid will have a long career. It looks like there is a very good chance he will complete his 3rd year in the NBA having playing in 30 total games. Can he really ever be trusted to be a 70 game a season player? Only similar person seems Ilgauskas (although I always feel like he would have been a touch better without all the injuries)

« Reply #771 on: February 27, 2017, 02:40:34 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Out indefinitely again. Wow. Talk about injury prone.

« Reply #772 on: February 27, 2017, 02:51:08 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Out indefinitely again. Wow. Talk about injury prone.
don't trust philly mgmt

I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #773 on: February 27, 2017, 02:54:52 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Uh oh...too bad...don't like injuries.

Goes to show...you just never know.

« Reply #774 on: February 27, 2017, 02:56:58 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
You could argue that the Sixers just have terrible luck.  You could also argue that when you tear down your entire franchise for the sake of one or two star prospects, it's your own fault that you have nothing left when those prospects get injured/don't pan out.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #775 on: February 27, 2017, 03:04:23 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
You could argue that the Sixers just have terrible luck.  You could also argue that when you tear down your entire franchise for the sake of one or two star prospects, it's your own fault that you have nothing left when those prospects get injured/don't pan out.

“It is the part of a wise man to keep himself today for tomorrow, and not venture all his eggs in one basket.”—Sancho Panza

Don Quixote (Part I, Book III, Chapter 9) by Miguel de Cervantes [1547-1616].

« Reply #776 on: February 27, 2017, 03:16:47 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195

It's amazing to think about all the draft capital they have spent that has gone virtually wasted. Never mind for a moment that Embiid and Simmons have together thus far sat out 3.5 seasons out of their rookie contracts. They drafted Noel at #6, wasted three years of his career, and traded him for pennies on the dollar. Okafor was drafted #3 has fallen into a stupor, barely worth a late 1st at this point.

The one thing you can hang your hat on: There was Michael Carter Williams (#11) who won ROY (hooray!) but was traded for the Lakers' pick in the upcoming draft. So they can start the whole thing over again, I guess.

They've still got plenty of young talent and picks in the pipeline, don't get me wrong. I'm just astounded by how inefficient the process has been to this point.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #777 on: February 27, 2017, 03:46:55 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
It would have been terrible luck if players they drafted randomly got hurt.

They purposely selected two players with injury history prior to the draft. They took two high risk players and so far have got burned (I'm sorry but I don't believe Embiid will ever be healthy).

Simmons getting injured is bad luck, but the conspiracy theorist in me thinks he could have come back this year but wanted to wait until next year so he could make a push to win rookie of the year (which I believe triggers a bonus in his shoe endorsement contract).

I don't mind what they did, but I think too often people think this is a fool proof plan and the only intelligent way to build a team. Hopefully what has happened recently throws cold water on all the people that treat the Sixers as the model franchise.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #778 on: February 28, 2017, 12:51:49 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Big game from Okafor today. Nearly had the game winner but Knicks answered back.

Okafor had 4 points, 5 fouls and 7 turnovers in one of the worst performances I have I have seen (they played warriors so was on local tv). The Philly crowd was giving him a Bronx cheer the few times he caught rebounds.

« Reply #779 on: February 28, 2017, 03:28:49 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Does this now put Saric in the lead for rookie of the year? Is anyone else even close?

crazy related to Brogdon being 4 years older than Brown! Really why you can't always compare rookies.

Related to 76ers, really hard to think Embiid will have a long career. It looks like there is a very good chance he will complete his 3rd year in the NBA having played in 30 total games. Can he really ever be trusted to be a 70 game a season player? Only similar person seems Ilgauskas (although I always feel like he would have been a touch better without all the injuries)

I think it is a race between Brogdon, Murray and Šarić and Dario is the frontrunner ATM.
Murray could explode scoring wise and make the playoffs. He is so young and green that the rest of his floor game is almost nonexistent.
Brogdon is starting and making the most of his age difference (24-079d) with a pretty efficient role, playing next to Giannis.
Šarić ATM is the best player on his team (Embiid out), looks like their emotional leader, rebounder, and a lot of times creator and finisher. He can take a bigger workload than any other candidate and he has a grown man's body. IMO that will allow being the ROY over others.

Before the season no one thought of Dario as an ROY. I bit my tongue (better said, fingers) and never wrote of him as an ROY possibility before the season. Thinking behind it was that all would just dismiss me as a Croatian Homer. Right now, Dario is 76ers Marcus Smart. Never quitting, playing unselfishly, is a poor shooter, but like Smart, he never loses his 3pt shot aggressiveness, both are versatile and a born winners.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."