Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 364797 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #750 on: February 25, 2017, 01:46:35 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I will bet anyone all my TPs versus theirs that Philly doesnt make the playoffs next year. It takes youth a while to learn to play together and get good. And thats healthy youth. We haven't a clue how healthy Embiid or Simmons will be next year. Thinking Philly is going to have some miracle turnaround to get into the playoffs led by players all 22 and under is fools gold. It will take some years.

« Reply #751 on: February 25, 2017, 03:02:55 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Some people are very impatient with the Cs but claim patient is a virtue when talking about other teams.........

« Reply #752 on: February 25, 2017, 04:13:00 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I will bet anyone all my TPs versus theirs that Philly doesnt make the playoffs next year. It takes youth a while to learn to play together and get good. And thats healthy youth. We haven't a clue how healthy Embiid or Simmons will be next year. Thinking Philly is going to have some miracle turnaround to get into the playoffs led by players all 22 and under is fools gold. It will take some years.
You don't have to be a good team to make the playoffs.  Detroit, Chicago and Indiana are in playoff spots but they aren't good teams.  Mediocrity will get you into the playoffs and the Sixers, with a healthy Embiid, can definitely be mediocre.  If Embiid isn't healthy, they'll be a bad team and won't sniff the playoffs. 

I wouldn't assume that they'll be just a bunch of young players.  Bayless and probably Henderson will be back.  Colangelo will use their plentiful cap space to sign a few more vets.  There are a couple Philly boys (Waiters and Lowry) who will be on the market.  If Chicago were to put Butler on the market, I think Colangelo would go hard after him.

« Reply #753 on: February 25, 2017, 04:39:02 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
You don't have to be a good team to make the playoffs.  Detroit, Chicago and Indiana are in playoff spots but they aren't good teams.  Mediocrity will get you into the playoffs and the Sixers, with a healthy Embiid, can definitely be mediocre.  If Embiid isn't healthy, they'll be a bad team and won't sniff the playoffs. 

I wouldn't assume that they'll be just a bunch of young players.  Bayless and probably Henderson will be back.  Colangelo will use their plentiful cap space to sign a few more vets.  There are a couple Philly boys (Waiters and Lowry) who will be on the market.  If Chicago were to put Butler on the market, I think Colangelo would go hard after him.

The problem with those teams is they already reached their ceiling as a team. They have no flexibility and no interesting pieces aside from their star players. They'll have cap space but they won't have much leverage since their team don't produce winning basketball with bright potential.

Philly have potential but they have to show free agents that team is good enough for them to join.

« Reply #754 on: February 25, 2017, 07:47:16 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Philly is such a dumpster fire. I can't believe there are people in this forum genuinely envious of their situation. They got nothing valuable for Noel. They will likely get nothing valuable for Okafor. Their best player has had yet another leg injury and hasn't yet showed he can actually stay healthy. They are going the be bad for a long time.
While I agree they didn't get much for Noel and likely won't get much for Okafor, they didn't do any worse than Orlando did with Oladipo who was the #2 pick in the same draft (while Noel was only #6).

Philly also has an upcoming Sacto pick that should be really good. And Embiid is amazing, though he needs to stay healthy when it counts.
While I agree with your first, I was getting more at the "over valuing" of these 2 players. They were never really that good to begin with. but I do believe they could have gotten way more for them had they basically not tanked both of their values so much, especially Noel.

As for the picks, the draft is a crap shoot and realistically speaking, Saric is probably their own regular contributor as a lotto pick (I'll get to Embiid next). He seems like he might be a solid role player off the bench. I think he's too slow to play the 3 but too small to play against regular 4s. For a small ball 4 he might be alright. But he seems to do things that might keep him in the league for like 10 years.

The issue with Embiid is and has always been his health. He's played a grand total of 33 NBA games. He missed 2 full seasons with a leg fracture and now has missed the last month and change with a torn MCL. He can be great on the floor when he plays but he'll have to actually show it it over the course of an 82 game season where he basically doesn't sit out every other night.

Simmons I can't comment on as he hasn't played a single NBA minute yet. We'll have to wait until next year to see how he looks.

« Reply #755 on: February 25, 2017, 09:29:31 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Some people are very impatient with the Cs but claim patient is a virtue when talking about other teams.........

Ederson in the cornerrrrr.... BANG !!!

TP

« Reply #756 on: February 25, 2017, 10:20:32 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Philly is such a dumpster fire. I can't believe there are people in this forum genuinely envious of their situation. They got nothing valuable for Noel. They will likely get nothing valuable for Okafor. Their best player has had yet another leg injury and hasn't yet showed he can actually stay healthy. They are going the be bad for a long time.
While I agree they didn't get much for Noel and likely won't get much for Okafor, they didn't do any worse than Orlando did with Oladipo who was the #2 pick in the same draft (while Noel was only #6).

Philly also has an upcoming Sacto pick that should be really good. And Embiid is amazing, though he needs to stay healthy when it counts.
While I agree with your first, I was getting more at the "over valuing" of these 2 players. They were never really that good to begin with. but I do believe they could have gotten way more for them had they basically not tanked both of their values so much, especially Noel.

As for the picks, the draft is a crap shoot and realistically speaking, Saric is probably their own regular contributor as a lotto pick (I'll get to Embiid next). He seems like he might be a solid role player off the bench. I think he's too slow to play the 3 but too small to play against regular 4s. For a small ball 4 he might be alright. But he seems to do things that might keep him in the league for like 10 years.

The issue with Embiid is and has always been his health. He's played a grand total of 33 NBA games. He missed 2 full seasons with a leg fracture and now has missed the last month and change with a torn MCL. He can be great on the floor when he plays but he'll have to actually show it it over the course of an 82 game season where he basically doesn't sit out every other night.

Simmons I can't comment on as he hasn't played a single NBA minute yet. We'll have to wait until next year to see how he looks.

Hey Im no philly lover, but for the sake of having accurate medical reports lets talk about the actual injuries. You said embiid tore his MCL, when in reality he has a torn meniscus. Now this is a forum, so I wont go into precise details, but the difference between a torn ligament and a torn meniscus is enormous.

Given this, I am sure they will shut him down. But it isnt the lengthy rehab process a torn MCL is. He is really looking injury prone.
#JKJB

« Reply #757 on: February 25, 2017, 10:56:02 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Hey Im no philly lover, but for the sake of having accurate medical reports lets talk about the actual injuries. You said embiid tore his MCL, when in reality he has a torn meniscus. Now this is a forum, so I wont go into precise details, but the difference between a torn ligament and a torn meniscus is enormous.

Given this, I am sure they will shut him down. But it isnt the lengthy rehab process a torn MCL is. He is really looking injury prone.
My bad. You're right on that. Mea culpa. Still an another leg injury (albeit not as serious).

« Reply #758 on: February 25, 2017, 11:03:18 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

Ederson in the cornerrrrr.... BANG !!!

TP
hand down man down
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #759 on: February 25, 2017, 11:04:52 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

My bad. You're right on that. Mea culpa. Still an another leg injury (albeit not as serious).

Hey it happens lol. Im in the medical field so my pet peeve is misreporting injuries haha. But I totally agree with you. Another injury for the kid is not a good sign at all.
#JKJB

« Reply #760 on: February 25, 2017, 03:40:56 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

I mean Embiid doesn't really need to learn anything he just has to stay healthy.

Plus they'll probably get a few vets in FA. It would surprise me if they miss due to poor play, injuries are obviously a possibility for any team. Particularly this one.

« Reply #761 on: February 25, 2017, 03:42:30 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
All I know is Moranis and Lbrrd said Noel's value wouldn't drop and then it did...Remember what they would ask from the Celtics for Noel, hahah. Those were the days.

I'm hesitant to say this is on Noel when it is pretty clearly impacted by the fact that Bryan Noplangelo is completely inept. Like Rob Hennigan bad.   

« Reply #762 on: February 25, 2017, 04:36:27 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
All I know is Moranis and Lbrrd said Noel's value wouldn't drop and then it did...Remember what they would ask from the Celtics for Noel, hahah. Those were the days.

I'm hesitant to say this is on Noel when it is pretty clearly impacted by the fact that Bryan Noplangelo is completely inept. Like Rob Hennigan bad.
OH!

TP
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #763 on: February 25, 2017, 10:39:06 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Big game from Okafor today. Nearly had the game winner but Knicks answered back.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #764 on: February 27, 2017, 11:41:52 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Sixers writer Keith Pompey says Embiid is out indefinitely with swelling in his foot. Uh-oh. Poor guy. Starting to feel like if Sam Bowie was as talented as Olajuwon.

EDIT: Dude corrected it. Swelling in left KNEE.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 12:16:05 PM by foulweatherfan »