Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 366793 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #735 on: February 24, 2017, 04:33:18 PM »

Online sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
This thread is funny.

No, this thread is hilarious! Some Celtics "fans" are trying to turn imaginary led into imaginary gold for another team... Amazing.

« Reply #736 on: February 24, 2017, 04:38:50 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Lots of revisionist history going on here. This thread is funny.

It is funny how people are underplaying the fact that now their two "superstar" prospects have missed a combined 3.5 seasons out of their first 4 seasons, and the one that actually has played can't stay on the court, even being coddled and protected like a precious jewel.

And let's not also look past the fact that their cornerstone is now calling out the GM for how he's handled this whole injury situation (you know with blatant lies to the media, even with Simmons' injury), which isn't the first time a player has called out their management this year either.

That place is a dumpster fire and full of dysfunction right now, and "the Process" is a big reason for that.

Yep.  I love how Ben Simmons is a "superstar" too, but the Celtics should trade the '17 BK pick for rebounding help.

« Reply #737 on: February 24, 2017, 04:55:35 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
All I know is Moranis and Lbrrd said Noel's value wouldn't drop and then it did...Remember what they would ask from the Celtics for Noel, hahah. Those were the days.

« Reply #738 on: February 24, 2017, 05:01:21 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Similarly if Philadelphia tanks for 5 straight seasons and gets a gimpy embiid, a bust in Okafor, a guy they sold for pennies in Noel a gimpy Simmons and one good but not great player this year (obviously this is all worst case scenario), they will universally considered a disappointment/failure.

Even if they get a top-5 player Embiid and top-10 player Simmons, but never win a title, I doubt that would be sufficient compensation for what their fans had to go through.
They haven't tanked for 5 straight seasons though.  You would have to include this one and next year to get to 5 seasons of a tank.  If they do that they will have a lot more than just those assets. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #739 on: February 24, 2017, 05:04:55 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Similarly if Philadelphia tanks for 5 straight seasons and gets a gimpy embiid, a bust in Okafor, a guy they sold for pennies in Noel a gimpy Simmons and one good but not great player this year (obviously this is all worst case scenario), they will universally considered a disappointment/failure.

Even if they get a top-5 player Embiid and top-10 player Simmons, but never win a title, I doubt that would be sufficient compensation for what their fans had to go through.
They haven't tanked for 5 straight seasons though.  You would have to include this one and next year to get to 5 seasons of a tank.  If they do that they will have a lot more than just those assets.

Right... they've tanked four straight seasons.  And tanked way harder than any team ever has.  But I'm sure next year is THE YEAR.

« Reply #740 on: February 24, 2017, 05:29:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Right... they've tanked four straight seasons.  And tanked way harder than any team ever has.  But I'm sure next year is THE YEAR.
I don't think they tanked this year, that was my point, and I certainly don't think they will tank next year.  They tanked for 3 seasons, which is in line with the Thunder, Bulls (post-Jordan), and other teams that have tanked recently.  I mean people forget the Bulls went from a three peat to winning 13 (50 game season), 17, 15, 21, 30, 23 in the six seasons post Jordan and that includes a full reset at exactly the mid-point of that 6 season stretch (trading Brand for Chandler). 

Preceding the current run, the Warriors went 12 seasons without making the playoffs, made the playoffs 1 year, and then went another 5 seasons without making the playoffs.  Obviously they weren't tanking the whole time, but 1 playoff appearance in an 18 year stretch is just downright terrible. 

People act like the Sixers are unique.  They aren't.  They were more open about what they were doing than most teams have been, but they were only the worst team in the league 1 time in the 3 seasons they tanked, and didn't have the worst 3 year stretch in history (I know the Nuggets, Clippers, and Mavericks all had worse 3 year stretches, I don't know about any others). 

« Reply #741 on: February 24, 2017, 05:31:18 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

The Sixers haven't tanked this season so far.  They already have 21 wins more than any of their previous 3 seasons and they have 26 more games to play.  They've simply been a bad team this season with a large amount of injuries.  If they are smart they will start tanking hard now to maximize their draft pick.     

« Reply #742 on: February 24, 2017, 06:59:32 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Noel for two second rounders  :o

« Reply #743 on: February 24, 2017, 07:10:13 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Not sure if this has been announced on here yet but Ben Simmons has been ruled out for the rest of the season as his foot hasn't properly healed.

« Reply #744 on: February 24, 2017, 07:19:20 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Not sure if this has been announced on here yet but Ben Simmons has been ruled out for the rest of the season as his foot hasn't properly healed.

Another blistering take on the Noel trade from the ringer "They also traded Nerlens Noel to the Dallas Mavericks for a paltry return: a protected first-round draft pick that will almost certainly become two future second-round draft picks, Justin Anderson, who seems like a fairly expendable defensive-minded wing, and Andrew Bogut, who was immediately waived for salary purposes. They waited through Noel’s early-career injuries and watched him turn into a productive NBA player. Now they’ve traded him for some low-value picks and salary relief."

https://theringer.com/philadelphia-76ers-ben-simmons-injury-out-season-jones-fracture-f848766b18f0#.cvyi77lru

« Reply #745 on: February 24, 2017, 07:37:08 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Another blistering take on the Noel trade from the ringer "They also traded Nerlens Noel to the Dallas Mavericks for a paltry return: a protected first-round draft pick that will almost certainly become two future second-round draft picks, Justin Anderson, who seems like a fairly expendable defensive-minded wing, and Andrew Bogut, who was immediately waived for salary purposes. They waited through Noel’s early-career injuries and watched him turn into a productive NBA player. Now they’ve traded him for some low-value picks and salary relief."

https://theringer.com/philadelphia-76ers-ben-simmons-injury-out-season-jones-fracture-f848766b18f0#.cvyi77lru
Better than the alternatives of losing Noel for nothing in free agency or significantly overpaying him to be a backup center, which he would have been really p---ed about.  Colangelo screwed up by not trading Noel last summer but I don't think the offers were that much better.  I wouldn't write off Justin Anderson. 

« Reply #746 on: February 24, 2017, 09:06:20 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Philly is such a dumpster fire. I can't believen there are people in this forum genuinely envious of their situation. They got nothing valuable for Noel. They will likely get nothing valuable for Okafor. Their best player has had yet another leg injury and hasn't yet showed he can actually stay healthy. They are going the be bad for a long time.

« Reply #747 on: February 24, 2017, 10:38:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Sixers did Boston a solid beating the Wizards tonight. Mavs lost.  1 game but according to the Cousins thread Philly clearly won this trade unloading the cancer of Noel and clearing up the roster log jam. Yes there was a hint of sarcasm there.

« Reply #748 on: February 24, 2017, 10:48:54 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Philly is such a dumpster fire. I can't believen there are people in this forum genuinely envious of their situation. They got nothing valuable for Noel. They will likely get nothing valuable for Okafor. Their best player has had yet another leg injury and hasn't yet showed he can actually stay healthy. They are going the be bad for a long time.
While I agree they didn't get much for Noel and likely won't get much for Okafor, they didn't do any worse than Orlando did with Oladipo who was the #2 pick in the same draft (while Noel was only #6).

Philly also has an upcoming Sacto pick that should be really good. And Embiid is amazing, though he needs to stay healthy when it counts.

« Reply #749 on: February 25, 2017, 12:17:10 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Noel and Okafor don't matter.  If Embiid stays healthy, the Sixers have a good shot to make the playoffs next season.  Unlike most of the bad teams, the Sixers play defense and are extremely good at it when Embiid is on the floor.  They could have a 2nd star in Simmons.  Saric has started to play much better and Covington is a good role player.  They'll add one or two more top 10 picks from this strong draft.