Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 368703 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #720 on: February 24, 2017, 02:07:48 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
If Philly comes out of this with even just two legit Superstars then it was a success.

No.  If that is all Philly gets out of it, then "The Process" was a failure.  Extreme tanking is only justified by extreme rewards at the end.

Mike
If they have two superstars, they will have success. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #721 on: February 24, 2017, 02:16:19 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
for example a durant westbtook tandem ?

« Reply #722 on: February 24, 2017, 02:20:58 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
If Philly comes out of this with even just two legit Superstars then it was a success.

No.  If that is all Philly gets out of it, then "The Process" was a failure.  Extreme tanking is only justified by extreme rewards at the end.

Mike
i agree with this

most teams would kill for 2 legit superstars
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #723 on: February 24, 2017, 02:27:26 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143

Mike
i agree with this

Most teams with two superstars don't actually get to win a title. (Unless you're adopting some hyper-specific unreasonable definition of "superstar.")

If Philly doesn't get at least one title out of this multi-year tanking monstrosity, I think it's fair to say that they failed.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #724 on: February 24, 2017, 02:33:34 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

Mike
i agree with this

Most teams with two superstars don't actually get to win a title. (Unless you're adopting some hyper-specific unreasonable definition of "superstar.")

If Philly doesn't get at least one title out of this multi-year tanking monstrosity, I think it's fair to say that they failed.
to me, if they don't put themselves in a POSITION to win a title, then they have failed

titles arent guaranteed. but if they aren't a legit top 4ish contender in 8ish years, then ya, it'll be a failure

but i think they're in a pretty good position for potential future success
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #725 on: February 24, 2017, 02:51:44 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Mike
i agree with this

to me, if they don't put themselves in a POSITION to win a title, then they have failed

titles arent guaranteed. but if they aren't a legit top 4ish contender in 8ish years, then ya, it'll be a failure

Certainly they need to at least get to a couple of NBA finals.  They don't have to be the LeBron Heat or the LeBron Cavs, but they should at least the 2008-2012 Celtics, minus a title.  As concerted an effort as this was, a few trips to the conference championship isn't enough.

« Reply #726 on: February 24, 2017, 02:59:41 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Mike
i agree with this

Certainly they need to at least get to a couple of NBA finals.  They don't have to be the LeBron Heat or the LeBron Cavs, but they should at least the 2008-2012 Celtics, minus a title.  As concerted an effort as this was, a few trips to the conference championship isn't enough.
Remember this is the Sixers, not the Celtics or Lakers or even Spurs or Bulls.  This is a franchise that since it won the title in 83, went to the ECF in 85 and Finals in 01 and that is it as far as winning at least 2 playoff series goes.  An extended period of ECF or ECS appearances is a great improvement for them.  Now sure, I think they need to be a real legit contender and a few finals appearances (if not a title) would greatly improve how this is thought of, but if they have a nice solid 10 season run of the playoffs every year and most years winning at least 1 playoff series, it is probably a success for that franchise. 

« Reply #727 on: February 24, 2017, 03:39:27 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney

Mike
i agree with this

It's different for them.  If you're just doing things the normal way then fine, contenders come and go and you may not always win the title even with a great team.

The Sixers are putting their fans through over half a decade of sustained misery with the promise that there will be something shiny at the end of the rainbow.  If you're not going to actually win a title, what's the point of suffering through all of it?

Imagine they're in OKC's position five years from now.  You drafted 3 superstars but never won anything, and 2 of them now play for other teams.  That would have to be considered a failure given what they invested.

« Reply #728 on: February 24, 2017, 03:53:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Mike
i agree with this

It's different for them.  If you're just doing things the normal way then fine, contenders come and go and you may not always win the title even with a great team.

The Sixers are putting their fans through over half a decade of sustained misery with the promise that there will be something shiny at the end of the rainbow.  If you're not going to actually win a title, what's the point of suffering through all of it?

Imagine they're in OKC's position five years from now.  You drafted 3 superstars but never won anything, and 2 of them now play for other teams.  That would have to be considered a failure given what they invested.
Was OKC considered a failure?  They flat out tanked for 2.5 seasons and as you say have no title and just 1 finals appearance.

« Reply #729 on: February 24, 2017, 04:05:02 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney

Mike
i agree with this

Was OKC considered a failure?  They flat out tanked for 2.5 seasons and as you say have no title and just 1 finals appearance.

Probably? They never even made it to the finals again after one improbable run where they were destroyed by a superior team.

The Sixers have (and will be) tanking for far more than 2.5 seasons though.  Standards are different.

« Reply #730 on: February 24, 2017, 04:10:03 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Mike
i agree with this

I don't think they should be considered a success at this point, although the jury is still out.  If they're able to keep Westbrook and successfully build a new team around him that comes through in the postseason, without having tanked another season to get there, then it would be called a success.

« Reply #731 on: February 24, 2017, 04:15:51 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919
Lots of revisionist history going on here. This thread is funny.

It is funny how people are underplaying the fact that now their two "superstar" prospects have missed a combined 3.5 seasons out of their first 4 seasons, and the one that actually has played can't stay on the court, even being coddled and protected like a precious jewel.

And let's not also look past the fact that their cornerstone is now calling out the GM for how he's handled this whole injury situation (you know with blatant lies to the media, even with Simmons' injury), which isn't the first time a player has called out their management this year either.

That place is a dumpster fire and full of dysfunction right now, and "the Process" is a big reason for that.

« Reply #732 on: February 24, 2017, 04:17:40 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
Lots of revisionist history going on here. This thread is funny.

It is funny how people are underplaying the fact that now their two "superstar" prospects have missed a combined 3.5 seasons out of their first 4 seasons, and the one that actually has played can't stay on the court, even being coddled and protected like a precious jewel.

And let's not also look past the fact that their cornerstone is now calling out the GM for how he's handled this whole injury situation (you know with blatant lies to the media, even with Simmons' injury), which isn't the first time a player has called out their management this year either.

That place is a dumpster fire and full of dysfunction right now, and "the Process" is a big reason for that.

It's been said ad nauseum now, but they forgot that they were dealing with human beings and not numbers on a spreadsheet.

« Reply #733 on: February 24, 2017, 04:18:31 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391

Mike
i agree with this

I don't think they should be considered a success at this point, although the jury is still out.  If they're able to keep Westbrook and successfully build a new team around him that comes through in the postseason, without having tanked another season to get there, then it would be called a success.

Yea at this point they are considered one of the great squanders of talent of all time. They were doing a feature about it on ESPN just a month or two ago. Tanking and being bad for 5-6 years and through a franchise relocation and then ultimately making 1 WCF? They are certainly one of the most disappointing teams for having assembled so much talent and making one total final. People thought it was a dynasty now just disappointment.

Similarly if Philadelphia tanks for 5 straight seasons and gets a gimpy embiid, a bust in Okafor, a guy they sold for pennies in Noel a gimpy Simmons and one good but not great player this year (obviously this is all worst case scenario), they will universally considered a disappointment/failure.

« Reply #734 on: February 24, 2017, 04:25:22 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
Similarly if Philadelphia tanks for 5 straight seasons and gets a gimpy embiid, a bust in Okafor, a guy they sold for pennies in Noel a gimpy Simmons and one good but not great player this year (obviously this is all worst case scenario), they will universally considered a disappointment/failure.

Even if they get a top-5 player Embiid and top-10 player Simmons, but never win a title, I doubt that would be sufficient compensation for what their fans had to go through.