Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 372482 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #690 on: February 24, 2017, 10:02:13 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Looking at this objectively:

Philly just traded the #6 overall pick who was 22 years old for the #21 pick who is 23 years old and 2 2nd round picks.

On the surface I don't see how that's a win. It's not a win by any draft value chart. It's not a win by age. Currently it doesn't look like a win on talent. Maybe if Anderson develops into something decent then it becomes (retroactively) a decent trade by Philly. But right now I'm not seeing Philly fans jump for joy in losing the first key piece of "THE PROCESS" for a mid-to-late draft choice whose been buried on the bench on a losing team the last two years.

If I'm a Philly fan I'm not overjoyed this morning - especially considering the many rumors that Noel was going to net a top 10 pick this past offseason.
the #6 pick 4 years ago that is a free agent this summer and who has only played in 171 games out of a possible 302.  When you add in context your objective factors change a great deal.

Looking at it objectively, you will remember that they, the ingenious  76ers traded away Jrue Holiday, a guy that will get around $20 per starting next year, for a guy that ONLY played 171 out of the possible 302 games, right Moranis????????????????

And to be objective, after all their blatant TANKING, they still are one of the 5 WORST teams in the NBA and they have two POTENTIAL stars that are NOW very injury prone OR not healing like expected!!!

Not looking like the master plan portrayed by several on this board!!

Smitty77
None of that has anything to do with the trade yesterday.  They traded their 3rd string center who has played in 56% of the total games and who is due for a huge contract this summer, for a 2nd year wing with solid enough potential and a possible 1st round pick though more likely 2 2nd's.  That is a good trade for the Sixers.   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #691 on: February 24, 2017, 10:12:09 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I liked hearing Rick Carlisle say that Justin Anderson had improved a lot over the past two years in Dallas. More reason to be optimistic about him breaking out in Philly.

What is he going to say?  "Anderson wasn't getting better despite my coaching?"  Unless the player was a total jerk, or the organization is comprised of jerks, you always say nice things about players you trade, because what's the point of doing otherwise?

I will be very surprised if Anderson lasts in Philly beyond the final two years of his rookie contract, and becomes much more than a low-salary player some teams with a lot of cap space take a flyer on for a couple of years.  He's not terrible, and I'm not going to say he was a bust of a draft pick given that he was taken in the 20s (and most of the players around him haven't done anything either).  But he's a back-of-the-rotation type at best, and Philly will have other players to give those minutes to once his deal is done.  They arguably have those players already.

« Reply #692 on: February 24, 2017, 10:25:21 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Recent news came out that Philly still values him as a Top 3 pick.  And rightfully so.  Okafor has legitimate star potential. Flaws in his game for sure, but he's a 21 year old with many years of development left in him and multiple years left on his rookie deal giving Philly plenty of time to experiment with him. Perhaps only Philly will be capable of matching the twin towers of the Pelicans.   That should be interesting.

Where do I begin......

« Reply #693 on: February 24, 2017, 10:39:23 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Sigh. I can't say I understand the everything Philly touches is gold routine or what the point of it is.
A few points I have to make:

- I don't want to start a big war with individual posters but some of the people that are calling two second rounders and a low end 23  year old prospect (Ford rated him tier 5 two years ago "likely service industry")?a good deal VERY recently gushed about Noel's potential and how it was a no brainer to match offers for him this offseason. These two view points make no sense together.
- this trade was poorly received for the 76ers by both local writers and national writers. It has been pointed out that Noel actually shot better mid range jumpers than Anderson this year, Noel and embiid only played 8 minutes together ever, the 76ers don't have enough roster spots for all these 2nd rounders etc.
-(most importantly) this is good news! The 76ers are in our division and them punting on Noel for peanuts, unable to move okafor for even a top 20 pick and continued distrust of their front office is GREAT news for Celtics fans. This is a team we face 4 times a year every year and potentially in the playoffs. Enjoy the Philly fans wanting to to fire BC, enjoy watching Noel flourish in Dallas etc. this is great! No reason to polish their turds and not enjoy it!

« Reply #694 on: February 24, 2017, 10:41:17 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Recent news came out that Philly still values him as a Top 3 pick.  And rightfully so.  Okafor has legitimate star potential. Flaws in his game for sure, but he's a 21 year old with many years of development left in him and multiple years left on his rookie deal giving Philly plenty of time to experiment with him. Perhaps only Philly will be capable of matching the twin towers of the Pelicans.   That should be interesting.

Where do I begin......

His whole post is sarcastic. He loves Chad fords tiers and Justin Anderson was rated a tier 5 (lower than anyone on our active team besides Mickey)

« Reply #695 on: February 24, 2017, 10:44:48 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Ben Simmons will miss his entire rookie season with the foot injury, Philadelphia GM Bryan Colangelo announces.

shame, I was hoping to see him play this season.

« Reply #696 on: February 24, 2017, 10:49:14 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
None of that has anything to do with the trade yesterday.  They traded their 3rd string center who has played in 56% of the total games and who is due for a huge contract this summer, for a 2nd year wing with solid enough potential and a possible 1st round pick though more likely 2 2nd's.  That is a good trade for the Sixers.

Although i agree with your thinking (something is better than nothing) they didn't trade just a 3rd string center.... You make it sound like it's Mickey we are talking about. Noel is one of the reasons the tanked. Trading him for peanuts it's a decent deal for them today but talking into account the whole picture it's a huge loss.

« Reply #697 on: February 24, 2017, 10:52:21 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Ben Simmons will miss his entire rookie season with the foot injury, Philadelphia GM Bryan Colangelo announces.

shame, I was hoping to see him play this season.

Should be a heckuva ROY race next season.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #698 on: February 24, 2017, 11:05:21 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Although i agree with your thinking (something is better than nothing) they didn't trade just a 3rd string center.... You make it sound like it's Mickey we are talking about. Noel is one of the reasons the tanked. Trading him for peanuts it's a decent deal for them today but talking into account the whole picture it's a huge loss.

Well the comment is not even accurate. When they were all healthy (and related playing better) okafor was getting dnps behind embiid and Noel. When Noel was healthy he was their second stringer and is a much better player than okafor. Also for a laugh look back at moranis and his previous discussions of Noel. His new "analysis" doesn't add up.

« Reply #699 on: February 24, 2017, 11:30:23 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Well the comment is not even accurate. When they were all healthy (and related playing better) okafor was getting dnps behind embiid and Noel. When Noel was healthy he was their second stringer and is a much better player than okafor. Also for a laugh look back at moranis and his previous discussions of Noel. His new "analysis" doesn't add up.
And some games Noel got the DNP and Okafor was backing up Embiid.  And some games when Embiid was out Okafor was starting and Noel didn't even play.  The Sixers were trying all sorts of things with their roster, but Okafor played in more games, started more games (and a higher percentage of starts vs. non-starts), and played more minutes per game.  Given the actual metrics it seems clear that Okafor was the 2nd center on the roster.  Noel was 3rd. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #700 on: February 24, 2017, 11:35:03 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
i don't  think it really matters.  it is obvious that the sixers were showcasing hoping for someone to bite. which in my book translates to  "we ve wasted 2 high lotto picks"

imagine DA failing like this with the nets picks!

« Reply #701 on: February 24, 2017, 11:36:19 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Might be a good trade for PHI down the road.  But not a good trade in regards to the Process.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #702 on: February 24, 2017, 11:45:37 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

And some games Noel got the DNP and Okafor was backing up Embiid.  And some games when Embiid was out Okafor was starting and Noel didn't even play.  The Sixers were trying all sorts of things with their roster, but Okafor played in more games, started more games (and a higher percentage of starts vs. non-starts), and played more minutes per game.  Given the actual metrics it seems clear that Okafor was the 2nd center on the roster.  Noel was 3rd.

Come on Moranis, you are wrong in this and you know it. Stop trying to spin things differently to save face.

Okafor played more at the first part of the season over Noel, but that is like saying Telfair started over Rondo. in his last 24 games (which coincided with them winning in 2017), Noel has missed 2 games. Guess how many Okafor missed. THIRTEEN. The Sixers were experimenting, but they eventually found out Noel was better so they started playing him more.

« Reply #703 on: February 24, 2017, 12:06:01 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I realize that these Philly discussions just degenerate into troll offs but there's no way to sugarcoat the Noel trade.  They essentially got NOTHING for one of the cornerstones of "The Process."

To review:

The have two centers, neither of which can play with the other and one of whom no one else in the league really wants.

They have two guys who look like absolute studs but one hasn't played yet and the other just hurt himself despite playing the easiest scheduled of literally any starter in the league.

They have another guy who looks like he might be a decent starter.

They may get an extra lottery pick this year and they've got a metric ton of extra 2nd rounders coming up.

Mike

« Reply #704 on: February 24, 2017, 12:24:53 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
And the hits just keep on coming!!!

"The Sixers Traded the Wrong Big Man and Derailed the Process
Keeping Jahlil Okafor over Nerlens Noel was a mistake. This is the confession of a Sixers fan who wanted to trust Sam Hinkie and his grand experiment."

"The only good thing about Okafor’s tenure is now we no longer have to wonder what Bob Pettit would look like in today’s NBA if you made him play in combat boots."

https://theringer.com/philadelphia-76ers-jahlil-okafor-trade-e8636f6a2d69#.o5id2vxrh