Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 364774 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #675 on: February 16, 2017, 06:34:52 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Report: Scan shows Ben Simmons foot not fully healed

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/02/16/report-scan-shows-ben-simmons-foot-not-fully-healed/

http://www.libertyballers.com/2017/2/16/14642082/report-ben-simmons-foot-not-fully-healed-sixers-said-it-was-joel-embiid-brett-brown-bryan-colangelo

Ole Lyin' Bryan Colangelo at it again!

Seriously, that entire management and ownership group is a mess in Philly right now. During BC's short tenure, he's already been caught in several blatant lies, including this latest Simmons lie, and is suspected to be lying about several other things.

Brett Brown seems to be the only good thing going for them in terms of coaching, management, and ownership.

i honestly don't get why BC is lying about everything right now. It is just weird and doesn't make any sense to me. It is like he is trying to get fired or something.
Id understand Hinkie lying about this because Simmons and Embiid both hurt 4 years into suckage is a terrible look. However, Colangelo really doesnt have much skin in the game there.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #676 on: February 20, 2017, 09:14:29 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
Those ping pong ball and that 2019 pick are sneaking into Brooklyn pick type value right now.

« Reply #677 on: February 22, 2017, 06:28:25 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Those ping pong ball and that 2019 pick are sneaking into Brooklyn pick type value right now.

Meh... obviously the pick swap could win the lottery but barring that happening it is probably at best going to be a swap for the 6th or 7th pick (if Philly even ends up better than them). How is that in the same league with a pick that is guaranteed top 4 and close to 50% to be top 2?

The Kings already have 24 wins this year. They have brooklyn at home, an Orlando team that just shipped of Ibaka, 2 games against Phoenix and a game against the hardest tanking team in the league in the Lakers. They are going to get to 30 wins even if they try their best to lose every game. If the Kings had done this trade 10 games ago before they went on a 5-1 stretch and beat the Warriors it would be a lot more interesting. Those wins are already banked plus there are now at least 5 teams that will actively tank the last 20+ games with other teams like the Mavs or Knicks equally likely to start aggressively tanking based on their moves today/tomorrow (Deron Williams, Wes Matthews, Bogotu, Rose, O'Quinn, Jennings, Melo etc all on market).

Regarding 2019... it definitely is promising but a lot can happen in 2 offseasons and teams are obviously going to take the pick (2018 brooklyn with one offseason) or 2017 brooklyn (basically locked into worst record) over something that has way more uncertainty around it.

« Reply #678 on: February 23, 2017, 04:10:54 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
UGGGHH!!  I didn't realize Justin Anderson was even available!   I would have loved to have him in Boston.  A prototypical modern NBA wing who was taken in the 1st round during that loaded 2015 draft.  6'6 with a 7 foot wingpsan.  An excellent defender.  He was huge during the playoffs last year for Dallas.  Just turned 23 a few months ago..  He's been buried on Dallas and not getting the minutes he deserves, but that guy is just a winning player who makes big plays that don't show up on the stat sheet.  He reminds me of Marcus Smart, but with better shooting.    You'd think Dallas would have learned their lesson about giving away promising young wings like that.  The last time they did this, they added Jae Crowder as a "throw-in" in the Rondo deal...  They regretted it then and they very well may end up regretting it here in a few years.   Once again, Philly adds a kid with star potential.  We'll see if he can reach his potential on that team.

That move just caps off an outstanding trade deadline for Philly that would likely make Sam Hinkie himself proud. 

First and foremost, keeping Okafor instead of selling him off for pennies on the dollar.  Recent news came out that Philly still values him as a Top 3 pick.  And rightfully so.  Okafor has legitimate star potential.  Flaws in his game for sure, but he's a 21 year old with many years of development left in him and multiple years left on his rookie deal giving Philly plenty of time to experiment with him.  Perhaps only Philly will be capable of matching the twin towers of the Pelicans.   That should be interesting.

Next, that Ilyasova trade caps off an excellent string of transactions for Philly.  It started when Hinkie drafted Jerami Grant with a 2nd round pick.  Colangelo was able to trade Jerami Grant for a expiring contract Ilyasova, a 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick.  He then successfully flipped Ilyasova for another 2nd round pick just months later.   Impressive.  So they basically turned Grant (a 2nd) into a 1st round pick and two second rounders... or if that 1st (Thunder's top 20 protected 2020 pick) doesn't convey, they'll end up getting 4 second round picks for Jerami Grant.   Outstanding.  Obviously, this trade also frees up minutes for budding phenom Dario Saric and possibly incoming superstar prospect Ben Simmons.   Ilyasova had to go.   Great move.

So then you have this impressive Justin Anderson acquisition which finishes off one of the great NBA heists - turning the injury prone Jrue Holiday into rookie of the year frontrunner Dario Saric + a 1st rounder + Justin Holiday + multiple 2nd round picks.   This move, of course, put Philly in position to tank their way to Joel Embiid that season - a player who (if he remains healthy) is the ultimate 2-way modern big man superstar who should immediately start leading his team to 50+ wins every year and dominate this league for years to come.   

Last, but certainly not least, is the major reason Philadelphia might be the greatest winner of this 2017 Trade deadline - and why fans in Philly are genuinely considering starting a GoFundMe to build a Sam Hinkie Statue -  the ramifications of the Kings/Pelicans trade are unbelievable.   Kings could very well bottom out over the final stretch of the season and fall into the bottom 5.  The 76ers have swap rights with them - meaning they are doubling up their opportunities to land a Top 3 pick during the lotto.  But more impressive than that, they have the Kings unprotected 2019 pick.  WOW.  Just... WOW.   That's some pseudo Danny Ainge next-level Brooklyn stuff right there.   The hilarious part of that deal is that they basically got that pick swap and unprotected 2019 pick for the luxury of taking Nik Stauskas off the hands of the Kings. 

The great irony of that is that Stauskas is a couple months older than Buddy Hield and has actually outperformed him this year.   

Sauce Castillo:  9 points, 2.8 rebounds, 2.2 assists with .405/.376/.811 shooting. 
Black Jimmer:  8.6 points, 2.9 rebounds, 1.4 assists with .392/.369/.879 shooting.   

LOL.   Wow.  Just... Wow.   

Safe to say, Philly owned this deadline.   Good for them.   I look forward to seeing them in the Eastern Conference Finals in 5 years - and then hopefully for the next 10 years after that.

Clay, does that fill my long-awaited Sixerphile quota for the month?  You're welcome.

« Reply #679 on: February 23, 2017, 08:13:46 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I liked that Justin Anderson pickup too. I liked him coming out of the draft and I have been surprised Dallas hasn't used him more. Reminds me of Jae Crowder too. Both talented hustle type wing players who I think Dallas have / are giving up on too early.

« Reply #680 on: February 23, 2017, 08:22:50 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
The "impressive" Justin Anderson and Okafor a top 3 talent?  That's your basis for thinking Philly had a good day? 

« Reply #681 on: February 23, 2017, 11:59:07 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/02/season-in-jeopardy-for-ben-simmons.html

More bad news for 76ers. Ben Simmons' season in doubt when a CT Scan came back with little progress today. Their top two players are going to have missed more than 3.5 out of 4 seasons combined.

Damaged goods. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see them never reach their potential due to injuries. The basketball gods are punishing them for that horrible product they've put out on the floor the last three to four seasons.

At least my boy Noel got out of there and into a better place.

« Reply #682 on: February 24, 2017, 12:06:15 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/02/season-in-jeopardy-for-ben-simmons.html

More bad news for 76ers. Ben Simmons' season in doubt when a CT Scan came back with little progress today. Their top two players are going to have missed more than 3.5 out of 4 seasons combined.

Damaged goods. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see them never reach their potential due to injuries. The basketball gods are punishing them for that horrible product they've put out on the floor the last three to four seasons.

At least my boy Noel got out of there and into a better place.

After trading Noel for a packet of chips, not finding any takers for Okafor, and having their other two high picks struggling to get on the court, maybe their process isnt so swell after all.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #683 on: February 24, 2017, 12:28:45 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
UGGGHH!!  I didn't realize Justin Anderson was even available!   I would have loved to have him in Boston.  A prototypical modern NBA wing who was taken in the 1st round during that loaded 2015 draft.  6'6 with a 7 foot wingpsan.  An excellent defender.  He was huge during the playoffs last year for Dallas.  Just turned 23 a few months ago..  He's been buried on Dallas and not getting the minutes he deserves, but that guy is just a winning player who makes big plays that don't show up on the stat sheet.  He reminds me of Marcus Smart, but with better shooting.    You'd think Dallas would have learned their lesson about giving away promising young wings like that.  The last time they did this, they added Jae Crowder as a "throw-in" in the Rondo deal...  They regretted it then and they very well may end up regretting it here in a few years.   Once again, Philly adds a kid with star potential.  We'll see if he can reach his potential on that team.

That move just caps off an outstanding trade deadline for Philly that would likely make Sam Hinkie himself proud. 

First and foremost, keeping Okafor instead of selling him off for pennies on the dollar.  Recent news came out that Philly still values him as a Top 3 pick.  And rightfully so.  Okafor has legitimate star potential.  Flaws in his game for sure, but he's a 21 year old with many years of development left in him and multiple years left on his rookie deal giving Philly plenty of time to experiment with him.  Perhaps only Philly will be capable of matching the twin towers of the Pelicans.   That should be interesting.

Next, that Ilyasova trade caps off an excellent string of transactions for Philly.  It started when Hinkie drafted Jerami Grant with a 2nd round pick.  Colangelo was able to trade Jerami Grant for a expiring contract Ilyasova, a 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick.  He then successfully flipped Ilyasova for another 2nd round pick just months later.   Impressive.  So they basically turned Grant (a 2nd) into a 1st round pick and two second rounders... or if that 1st (Thunder's top 20 protected 2020 pick) doesn't convey, they'll end up getting 4 second round picks for Jerami Grant.   Outstanding.  Obviously, this trade also frees up minutes for budding phenom Dario Saric and possibly incoming superstar prospect Ben Simmons.   Ilyasova had to go.   Great move.

So then you have this impressive Justin Anderson acquisition which finishes off one of the great NBA heists - turning the injury prone Jrue Holiday into rookie of the year frontrunner Dario Saric + a 1st rounder + Justin Holiday + multiple 2nd round picks.   This move, of course, put Philly in position to tank their way to Joel Embiid that season - a player who (if he remains healthy) is the ultimate 2-way modern big man superstar who should immediately start leading his team to 50+ wins every year and dominate this league for years to come.   

Last, but certainly not least, is the major reason Philadelphia might be the greatest winner of this 2017 Trade deadline - and why fans in Philly are genuinely considering starting a GoFundMe to build a Sam Hinkie Statue -  the ramifications of the Kings/Pelicans trade are unbelievable.   Kings could very well bottom out over the final stretch of the season and fall into the bottom 5.  The 76ers have swap rights with them - meaning they are doubling up their opportunities to land a Top 3 pick during the lotto.  But more impressive than that, they have the Kings unprotected 2019 pick.  WOW.  Just... WOW.   That's some pseudo Danny Ainge next-level Brooklyn stuff right there.   The hilarious part of that deal is that they basically got that pick swap and unprotected 2019 pick for the luxury of taking Nik Stauskas off the hands of the Kings. 

The great irony of that is that Stauskas is a couple months older than Buddy Hield and has actually outperformed him this year.   

Sauce Castillo:  9 points, 2.8 rebounds, 2.2 assists with .405/.376/.811 shooting. 
Black Jimmer:  8.6 points, 2.9 rebounds, 1.4 assists with .392/.369/.879 shooting.   

Safe to say, Philly owned this deadline.   Good for them.   I look forward to seeing them in the Eastern Conference Finals in 5 years - and then hopefully for the next 10 years after that.

Clay, does that fill my long-awaited Sixerphile quota for the month?  You're welcome.

Better shooting the Marcus???  40% overall this year and 30% from three this year???????  Smart is shooting BETTER from three:-))))

Smitty77

« Reply #684 on: February 24, 2017, 06:56:55 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I liked hearing Rick Carlisle say that Justin Anderson had improved a lot over the past two years in Dallas. More reason to be optimistic about him breaking out in Philly.

« Reply #685 on: February 24, 2017, 07:21:08 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Anderson is worth giving big minutes to see what happens on a team like Philly but give me a break about the star potential.  That is really jumping the gun at this point.  He doesn't have any more star potential than 50% of the young guys in the league.  He has a nice body but needs to start making some shots.

« Reply #686 on: February 24, 2017, 08:59:26 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

Some Philly fans are not as effusive as you with praise for the move.

"So in the end, the Sixers picked up a couple of second round picks and a flyer wing player, plus the money savings from Bogut’s salary, for an actually good player who could be useful as a backup to our perpetually injured starting center or even alongside him, given more than eight (yes, 8) minutes to try it out."

http://www.libertyballers.com/2017/2/24/14721340/76ers-lying-nerlens-noel-first-round-pick-justin-anderson

Maybe just maybe Anderson isn't that good.

"Anderson, a second-year player out of Virginia, never earned the trust of the Mavs coaches. He was billed as a 3-and-D player coming out of college, but his 3-point shot has deserted him in the NBA (a career 28.8 percent shooter on 205 attempts) and he lacked the discipline necessary to consistently handle tough defensive assignments for a team looking to contend. He had been jumped in the rotation by Dorian Finney-Smith, an undrafted rookie out of Florida, and he was being used sparingly as an energy player off the bench."

https://theringer.com/philadelphia-76ers-dallas-mavericks-nba-trade-nerlens-noel-d706e2cf7710#.sidq62ci1

« Reply #687 on: February 24, 2017, 09:10:32 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Looking at this objectively:

Philly just traded the #6 overall pick who was 22 years old for the #21 pick who is 23 years old and 2 2nd round picks.

On the surface I don't see how that's a win. It's not a win by any draft value chart. It's not a win by age. Currently it doesn't look like a win on talent. Maybe if Anderson develops into something decent then it becomes (retroactively) a decent trade by Philly. But right now I'm not seeing Philly fans jump for joy in losing the first key piece of "THE PROCESS" for a mid-to-late draft choice whose been buried on the bench on a losing team the last two years.

If I'm a Philly fan I'm not overjoyed this morning - especially considering the many rumors that Noel was going to net a top 10 pick this past offseason.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #688 on: February 24, 2017, 09:19:44 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

Philly just traded the #6 overall pick who was 22 years old for the #21 pick who is 23 years old and 2 2nd round picks.

On the surface I don't see how that's a win. It's not a win by any draft value chart. It's not a win by age. Currently it doesn't look like a win on talent. Maybe if Anderson develops into something decent then it becomes (retroactively) a decent trade by Philly. But right now I'm not seeing Philly fans jump for joy in losing the first key piece of "THE PROCESS" for a mid-to-late draft choice whose been buried on the bench on a losing team the last two years.

If I'm a Philly fan I'm not overjoyed this morning - especially considering the many rumors that Noel was going to net a top 10 pick this past offseason.
the #6 pick 4 years ago that is a free agent this summer and who has only played in 171 games out of a possible 302.  When you add in context your objective factors change a great deal.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #689 on: February 24, 2017, 09:48:32 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

the #6 pick 4 years ago that is a free agent this summer and who has only played in 171 games out of a possible 302.  When you add in context your objective factors change a great deal.

Looking at it objectively, you will remember that they, the ingenious  76ers traded away Jrue Holiday, a guy that will get around $20 per starting next year, for a guy that ONLY played 171 out of the possible 302 games, right Moranis????????????????

And to be objective, after all their blatant TANKING, they still are one of the 5 WORST teams in the NBA and they have two POTENTIAL stars that are NOW very injury prone OR not healing like expected!!!

Not looking like the master plan portrayed by several on this board!!

Smitty77