Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 369709 times)

Re: The Sixers and the 2017 draft - Filling out roster
« Reply #345 on: January 17, 2017, 04:15:12 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
You know they can't trade Noel on draft night, correct?  It's the February trade deadline or nothing for him.
Good point. They should resign him as Embiid's backup and look to trade Okafor to move up in the draft.

He's not going to re-sign to be a backup in Philly.  Failing to trade him in a month will have been a mistake.
He's restricted so he doesn't have a choice right?

He can sign a contract with another team.  The Sixers can match it, but if they do he can't be traded for a year, and they will have a very, very unhappy player on their hands.  There's been a thaw in the relationship the past few weeks, but I'm sure that thaw came with a promise that they would trade him elsewhere.

If he can't get a free agent contract to his liking because teams think the 76ers will just match, he can sign a one-year contract for $5.9 million and be able to veto any trade before he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

The most they'll ever be able to get for Noel at this point occurs during this trading season.  Otherwise his value drops and/or he's untradable.

This situation has probably been explained hundreds of times on this blog already, yet people still come to other conclusions regarding Noel, even when there's quite a bit of evidence that verifies this turn of events. I can't wait until he's traded so all this nonsense can stop.
If there is an even trade and the Celtics offer Smart then a trade will happen but I don't see Roz getting it done when there are better option in the draft coming up. They would be better off holding onto Noel for insurance on Embiid's health.

« Reply #346 on: January 17, 2017, 05:23:17 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Explícame por favor esta obsesión con los 76ers

Muchas cervezas...poca verguenza.   ;D ;D ;D

lol
Classy.

You do realize this thread was started in the subsection "around the NBA"? The section that you can talk about any other team you want. the great thing about this forum is being able to talk basketball with other people with as much knowledge as everyone else about the game. Let's not start up a p---ing war on what we can or can't talk about. Just find a different thread you like. If you find a pro Sixers thread in a section it shouldn't then alert the mods but this thread is not harming anyone.

I think it is fair to get annoyed about repeated duplicate threads on the same topic. So if someone wants to discuss the idea of us trading the 1st thread with the 4th pick and the 7th pick, fair enough. However, then having posters make 5 threads essentially about the same topic is pretty annoying.

Look at these titles from the last week

Would you trade the #1 pick to Philly for #4 and #8?
If We Get #1, Then Trade Down With Philadelphia For #2 AND #7?
Would you trade Bradley and #1 pick for Simmons and the Lakers pick?
Would you trade the Nets #1 for Noel, Okafor and their latest pick?

Then this thread. After a certain point it becomes pretty obnoxious. If you have a slightly different spin on the trade. For example, what about 2 and 7 instead of 4 and 8. Just say it the existing thread. We had a vucuvic thead and people discussed different ideas. People didn't make 6 threads for variations of trading him for him.

I understand it is easy for people to just say "if you don't want to participate in a thread don't read it" but it is a little more complicated than that. The fact is the latest forum topics section is probably what at least half the board sees when they visit (much like the search top results at google for a topic get way more clicks). There is a certain point where it becomes obnoxious in my humble opinion to bury all other topics by creating slight variations on the same theme. If you look at these 5 topics from the last week it is overkill in my opinion (but obviously I am not a mod).

By the same token, if I made 5 spin off topics discussing Bradley's jumper or the idea of trading for Dragic within a week I would totally expect people to get upset/annoyed with me. This doesn't happen and is why multiple people are getting annoyed about this stuff.

« Reply #347 on: January 17, 2017, 05:51:52 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

lol
Classy.

You do realize this thread was started in the subsection "around the NBA"? The section that you can talk about any other team you want. the great thing about this forum is being able to talk basketball with other people with as much knowledge as everyone else about the game. Let's not start up a p---ing war on what we can or can't talk about. Just find a different thread you like. If you find a pro Sixers thread in a section it shouldn't then alert the mods but this thread is not harming anyone.

I think it is fair to get annoyed about repeated duplicate threads on the same topic. So if someone wants to discuss the idea of us trading the 1st thread with the 4th pick and the 7th pick, fair enough. However, then having posters make 5 threads essentially about the same topic is pretty annoying.

Then this thread. After a certain point it becomes pretty obnoxious. If you have a slightly different spin on the trade. For example, what about 2 and 7 instead of 4 and 8. Just say it the existing thread. We had a vucuvic thead and people discussed different ideas. People didn't make 6 threads for variations of trading him for him.

I understand it is easy for people to just say "if you don't want to participate in a thread don't read it" but it is a little more complicated than that. The fact is the latest forum topics section is probably what at least half the board sees when they visit (much like the search top results at google for a topic get way more clicks). There is a certain point where it becomes obnoxious in my humble opinion to bury all other topics by creating slight variations on the same theme. If you look at these 5 topics from the last week it is overkill in my opinion (but obviously I am not a mod).

By the same token, if I made 5 spin off topics discussing Bradley's jumper or the idea of trading for Dragic within a week I would totally expect people to get upset/annoyed with me. This doesn't happen and is why multiple people are getting annoyed about this stuff.
I guess you don't read the threads and just apply your biases to them.

My thread was who would draft if you were the Sixers GM. Not would you trade the number 2 pick for the 4 and 8.

It was more a question on filling out their roster and I made sure to place the thread in a non Celtics section. If you are easily irritated it's not my fault. You should stick to the sections you want to read.

Re: The Sixers missed their sell high moment
« Reply #348 on: January 17, 2017, 06:07:58 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Philly is playing in Washington right now with Okafor filling in for Embiid (second night of a back-to-back)... Okafor just went to the line and Philly fans in attendance started chanting "MVP'.  What an entertaining season.

Lol what idiots

It was a 350 person bus trip, and they had planned to do MVP chants every time a Sixers player went to the line.

Trust me, those fans are about as out on the future of Okafor as anybody. As am I, because he stinks.

So are they out on both Okafor AND Noel?

For all of the high picks, I expected more production by now.

As for the Celtics, I expected more out of Smart. It doesn't seem as bad b/c the Celtics are winning. Re: Jaylen, I need to see him for a couple more years before forming an opinion.

Nah, they still love Noel. Their collective fan base is trying to talk themselves into paying half the cap to the center position to avoid watching Noel leave for little to nothing.

« Reply #349 on: January 17, 2017, 06:20:12 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
My goodness would Philly's future be bright if they would've drafted Krisnaps instead of Okafor.  A Krisnaps/Embiid 4/5 combo is frightening.

« Reply #350 on: January 17, 2017, 06:22:57 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

lol
Classy.

My thread was who would draft if you were the Sixers GM. Not would you trade the number 2 pick for the 4 and 8.

It was more a question on filling out their roster and I made sure to place the thread in a non Celtics section. If you are easily irritated it's not my fault. You should stick to the sections you want to read.

lol
Classy.

You really are going to take the stance that 4-5 threads on a slight variation of the same topic within one week (even if we take yours out from the count) is not excessive? Others asked why people were getting annoyed at it (people besides just me) and I think I reasonably explained it. I don't think there is a big group of posters that are just randomly "easily irritated"

Also it is not personable against you, it is a bizarre phenomenon that is taking over the board.

« Reply #351 on: January 17, 2017, 06:35:14 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

lol
Classy.

lol
Classy.

You really are going to take the stance that 4-5 threads on a slight variation of the same topic within one week (even if we take yours out from the count) is not excessive? Others asked why people were getting annoyed at it (people besides just me) and I think I reasonably explained it. I don't think there is a big group of posters that are just randomly "easily irritated"

Also it is not personable against you, it is a bizarre phenomenon that is taking over the board.
People discussing interesting topics is not a bizarre phenomenon and my thread was not a variation of the others.

I think you guys need your own therapy session to discuss your feelings about these Sixers threads. They shouldn't be bothering you this much.

« Reply #352 on: January 17, 2017, 06:38:26 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
PG - (free agent)
SG - Monk
SF - Tatum
PF - Ben Simmons, Saric
 C - Embiid, J.Okafor

Maybe Jeff Teague as the free agent.

I think Bryan Colangelo will want some shooting and scoring on his team. I like Tatum here. I think he would be a good fit alongside Simmons and Embiid in the frontcourt. I went with Monk because I think he is likely to be available with their later pick.

There are like 5 quality pgs in this years draft... it would be sad if the 76ers didn't grab one , with one of their picks.

It looks like Philly is going to play themselves out of a top 5 pick ... and three of those five PGs are likely to in the top five. So take Fultz, Ball and Smith off the table.

That leaves Fox and Ntilikina. I think Fox is a bad fit next to Simmons because he needs the ball in his hands and he cannot shoot / play off the ball. That leaves the international man of mystery Ntilikina.

If Philly continue to win and end up outside the top 5, I think their PG options will be fairly limited.
Ntilikina is definitely in play for them if their pick is 7-10. I haven't seen too much of him so I don't know about fit.

« Reply #353 on: January 17, 2017, 07:35:06 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

lol
Classy.

lol
Classy.

People discussing interesting topics is not a bizarre phenomenon and my thread was not a variation of the others.

I think you guys need your own therapy session to discuss your feelings about these Sixers threads. They shouldn't be bothering you this much.

Oh cool. So 5 threads in a week discussing a variation of the same trade with the 76ers is legit. Got it. I'll go get started on the therapy. Thanks for the suggestion. 

« Reply #354 on: January 17, 2017, 07:41:56 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
Hopefully the mods see you are clearly trolling. This thread has very little in common with the others.

Calling out posters shouldn't be something one has to tolerate.

« Reply #355 on: January 17, 2017, 07:58:29 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Hopefully the mods see you are clearly trolling. This thread has very little in common with the others.

Calling out posters shouldn't be something one has to tolerate.

This will be the last comment I make in this thread, but I feel the need to defend myself.

You have called me a troll, told me I need therapy and that I am easily irritated and you are now asking the Mods to do something to me now?

I really tried to reasonably explain why this was bothering me and some other posters and even gave what I thought was a fair explanation and how one topic can dominate the board. 

« Reply #356 on: January 17, 2017, 10:34:13 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
Philly is playing in Washington right now with Okafor filling in for Embiid (second night of a back-to-back)... Okafor just went to the line and Philly fans in attendance started chanting "MVP'.  What an entertaining season.

Lol what idiots

It was a 350 person bus trip, and they had planned to do MVP chants every time a Sixers player went to the line.

Trust me, those fans are about as out on the future of Okafor as anybody. As am I, because he stinks.

As for the Celtics, I expected more out of Smart. It doesn't seem as bad b/c the Celtics are winning. Re: Jaylen, I need to see him for a couple more years before forming an opinion.

Nope, I'd keep Noel as a hedge for Embiid's foot and to ensure they can keep him at about 30 mins a game.

Noel is a very good player, Okafor's presence has completely screwed him over sadly.

Simmons, Saric and Embiid have played less than a season combined... Those are a lot of the high picks Hinkie acquired.

« Reply #357 on: January 17, 2017, 10:35:42 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
My goodness would Philly's future be bright if they would've drafted Krisnaps instead of Okafor.  A Krisnaps/Embiid 4/5 combo is frightening.

Giannis was on the board when they picked MCW too.

Still, it happens. Especially the Giannis stuff, I can't fault anybody for missing on him. He was playing pickup game level bball, was super raw and has developed sills he never even flashed. It's the outlier not the norm.

« Reply #358 on: January 17, 2017, 10:37:49 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum

Lol what idiots

Nah, they still love Noel. Their collective fan base is trying to talk themselves into paying half the cap to the center position to avoid watching Noel leave for little to nothing.

Half the cap? You dump Okafor, Holmes makes pennies, Embiid is on a rookie deal, and Noel will make maybe 20 a year? 22-24 possibly?

We have plenty of space, and if we need to move Noel I'm pretty confident we'd be able to if we had the ability to sign a guy with that space.

You think Dallas or the Nets wouldn't take him on that deal given their FA failures?

« Reply #359 on: January 18, 2017, 01:15:09 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51

Lol what idiots

Half the cap? You dump Okafor, Holmes makes pennies, Embiid is on a rookie deal, and Noel will make maybe 20 a year? 22-24 possibly?

We have plenty of space, and if we need to move Noel I'm pretty confident we'd be able to if we had the ability to sign a guy with that space.

You think Dallas or the Nets wouldn't take him on that deal given their FA failures?

Yes, half the cap. Embiid's going into the last year of his rookie deal and will be extension-eligible this summer, at which point I think we both expect Philly to sign him to the largest extension possible under the new CBA. Philly can buy themselves a year matching an offer sheet for Noel, but in the second season of that contract you're paying almost $50 million to the center position between Embiid and Noel (and if Embiid triggers the mechanism to bump the percentage of his max to the second tier you're north of $50 million). You'd have no trouble dumping Noel on that contract, but nobody's mortgaging their future to get a nice complimentary piece on a near-max contract, which leaves Philly in a similar bind as they're in now - the return in trade simply isn't likely to match the initial investment.

The truth is that if the purpose of this multi-year tanking project was/is to win a championship and Embiid suffers some sort of long-term injury Philly's screwed anyway. They're better-served spending that money putting good pieces around Embiid, not behind him, and trying to compete for a title instead of raising their floor at the expense of lowering their ceiling.