Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 373625 times)

Re: The Sixers missed their sell high moment
« Reply #300 on: January 16, 2017, 10:10:23 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
Philly is playing in Washington right now with Okafor filling in for Embiid (second night of a back-to-back)... Okafor just went to the line and Philly fans in attendance started chanting "MVP'.  What an entertaining season.

Lol what idiots

It was a 350 person bus trip, and they had planned to do MVP chants every time a Sixers player went to the line.

Trust me, those fans are about as out on the future of Okafor as anybody. As am I, because he stinks.

« Reply #301 on: January 17, 2017, 08:23:53 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

I highly doubt you have watched much okafor, especially this year.

The question is: will ANYONE be watching him for the rest of the season? Another DNP-CD tonight for Jahlil, and another victory for Philadelphia.

It looks as though Nerlens has solidified his spot in the rotation, and that Okafor has lost his. But it's a long season, so it's too early to be giving up on him.

Is he worth a first-round pick?  They'd be very happy to get that right now - but what team would want him?
and now Okafor is playing and Noel is sitting and they are still winning.  As long as Embiid is there and playing well they have a chance.  Noel and Okafor aren't Embiid, but they have talent.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #302 on: January 17, 2017, 08:42:05 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Oh, and for a little perspective, Embiid is looking real good but he's 22 and will turn 23 this season.

Embiid is averaging 19.6 points, 7.6 rebounds and 2.3 blocks.  22-year-old rookie Alonzo Mourning averaged 21 points, 10.3 rebounds and 3.5 blocks.

But wait!  Embiid is on a minutes and game restriction.  He's averaging 25 minutes a game and is on pace to only play about 50 games.  Mourning averaged 34 minutes and played 78 games as a rookie.  Well, the per 36 numbers have Embiid at 28 points, 10.8 rebounds and 3.3 blocks and Mourning at 22.3 points, 11 rebounds and 3.7 blocks.  But per 36, Embiid is also averaging 19.7 shots a game to Mounings 15.2.

And Embiid has still played fewer games in the NBA than he did his only year in college.

I'd kill for Boston to have a center as good as Mourning but if you suck for half a decade and at the end of if you've got Mourning and a better version of Lamar Odom to show for it, was it really worth it?

Mike
Wow.  So you're saying Embiid who has maybe 100 organized basketball games on his belt in his entire life and is working off two seasons of injury rust that continues to have his minutes limited as he gets into shape - is already playing comparable basketball to a Hall Of Fame player who came into the league healthy after 4 years of College basketball back when College basketball actually had serious competition?   That's pretty amazing.

I came into this season expecting Embiid to be a long-term star who in this first recovery season would maybe average 15-20 minutes per game with like 8 points, 4 rebounds and a block   I figured if he averaged close to what Andre Drummond did as a rookie (7.9 points, 7.6 rebounds, 1.6 blocks, 1 steal) it would have to be considered a massive win given how raw Embiid was coming out of college and the fact he's been bedridden for two years.   But now you're telling me the kid is already playing on the same level as a hall of fame player... that's incredible.
You are lying.  You said Embiid would be the rookie of the year.

« Reply #303 on: January 17, 2017, 09:09:23 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Oh, and for a little perspective, Embiid is looking real good but he's 22 and will turn 23 this season.

Embiid is averaging 19.6 points, 7.6 rebounds and 2.3 blocks.  22-year-old rookie Alonzo Mourning averaged 21 points, 10.3 rebounds and 3.5 blocks.

But wait!  Embiid is on a minutes and game restriction.  He's averaging 25 minutes a game and is on pace to only play about 50 games.  Mourning averaged 34 minutes and played 78 games as a rookie.  Well, the per 36 numbers have Embiid at 28 points, 10.8 rebounds and 3.3 blocks and Mourning at 22.3 points, 11 rebounds and 3.7 blocks.  But per 36, Embiid is also averaging 19.7 shots a game to Mounings 15.2.

And Embiid has still played fewer games in the NBA than he did his only year in college.

I'd kill for Boston to have a center as good as Mourning but if you suck for half a decade and at the end of if you've got Mourning and a better version of Lamar Odom to show for it, was it really worth it?

Mike
Wow.  So you're saying Embiid who has maybe 100 organized basketball games on his belt in his entire life and is working off two seasons of injury rust that continues to have his minutes limited as he gets into shape - is already playing comparable basketball to a Hall Of Fame player who came into the league healthy after 4 years of College basketball back when College basketball actually had serious competition?   That's pretty amazing.

I came into this season expecting Embiid to be a long-term star who in this first recovery season would maybe average 15-20 minutes per game with like 8 points, 4 rebounds and a block   I figured if he averaged close to what Andre Drummond did as a rookie (7.9 points, 7.6 rebounds, 1.6 blocks, 1 steal) it would have to be considered a massive win given how raw Embiid was coming out of college and the fact he's been bedridden for two years.   But now you're telling me the kid is already playing on the same level as a hall of fame player... that's incredible.
8 points 4 rebounds is probably the rookie of the year.  Pretty pathetic draft class thus far.

« Reply #304 on: January 17, 2017, 09:28:04 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Mike

8 points 4 rebounds is probably the rookie of the year.  Pretty pathetic draft class thus far.

No NBA ROY has averaged less than 10 points. Not even before they instituted the shot clock and scores were much lower. Overall, the average ROY has averaged a hair under 19.8 PPG and 9.0 RPG.

« Reply #305 on: January 17, 2017, 10:19:20 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Mike

No NBA ROY has averaged less than 10 points. Not even before they instituted the shot clock and scores were much lower. Overall, the average ROY has averaged a hair under 19.8 PPG and 9.0 RPG.
Sure, but aside from Embiid no rookie is averaging 10 ppg.  The closest one to Embiid is actually Saric, who as we know was also a 2014 draftee.  Saric is averaging 9.8 ppg.  Brogdon at 9.3 ppg is the highest 2016 draftee.  Thus if Embiid was averaging 8 points and 4 rebounds he might very well be the front runner for rookie of the year.  Obviously Embiid is not averaging those numbers though so he can save the award from being a mockery this year.

« Reply #306 on: January 17, 2017, 11:03:16 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Mike

Sure, but aside from Embiid no rookie is averaging 10 ppg.  The closest one to Embiid is actually Saric, who as we know was also a 2014 draftee.  Saric is averaging 9.8 ppg.  Brogdon at 9.3 ppg is the highest 2016 draftee.  Thus if Embiid was averaging 8 points and 4 rebounds he might very well be the front runner for rookie of the year.  Obviously Embiid is not averaging those numbers though so he can save the award from being a mockery this year.
This may be the case but before a season starts nobody predicts the rookie of the year will average 8pts and 4 rebounds.  That's the point that you are missing.

« Reply #307 on: January 17, 2017, 11:32:16 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Mike

This may be the case but before a season starts nobody predicts the rookie of the year will average 8pts and 4 rebounds.  That's the point that you are missing.
I didn't miss that point at all.  And with Simmons healthy the ROY race would be a lot different.  LarBrd made those comments in reference to different times.  I remember him saying, before Embiid played, that he thought it would be a lesser year but that Embiid had superstar potential, but once he saw him play, he was pretty heavily on the ROY bandwagon.  At least I think it was LarBrd, maybe I'm confusing him with someone else.

The Sixers and the 2017 draft - Filling out roster
« Reply #308 on: January 17, 2017, 12:55:24 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
I don't see the Sixers moving Noel for Rozier and pieces because the 2017 draft can fill all their needs in the backcourt. If they do have any plans to move Noel or Okafor it's most likely to package one of them to move up in the draft to get the player they want. I wouldn't take the deal but I could see them offering Okafor and the fifth pick for our second pick.

Let's say there are no trades and you're the GM of the Sixers.

Who are you drafting with the 5th and 7th pick to fill that roster?

My selections are Monk and Fox from Kentucky.

C - Embiid
PF - Saric
SF - Simmons
SG - Monk
PG - Fox

Re: The Sixers and the 2017 draft - Filling out roster
« Reply #309 on: January 17, 2017, 01:00:36 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Just said it in another thread... 

if Philly keeps winning games or even improbably makes the playoffs, they could end up enacting their swap-rights with the Kings and picking somewhere in the 8-12. 

It would be pretty funny if their best player available was Harry Giles - another big man.

« Reply #310 on: January 17, 2017, 01:01:08 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
You know they can't trade Noel on draft night, correct?  It's the February trade deadline or nothing for him.

« Reply #311 on: January 17, 2017, 01:04:59 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
You know they can't trade Noel on draft night, correct?  It's the February trade deadline or nothing for him.
Good point. They should resign him as Embiid's backup and look to trade Okafor to move up in the draft.

« Reply #312 on: January 17, 2017, 01:06:39 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Good point. They should resign him as Embiid's backup and look to trade Okafor to move up in the draft.

He's not going to re-sign to be a backup in Philly.  Failing to trade him in a month will have been a mistake.

« Reply #313 on: January 17, 2017, 01:08:07 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
Just said it in another thread... 

if Philly keeps winning games or even improbably makes the playoffs, they could end up enacting their swap-rights with the Kings and picking somewhere in the 8-12. 

It would be pretty funny if their best player available was Harry Giles - another big man.
I suppose if they really needed to they could offer both picks and Okafor to get Dennis Smith.

That would be a worse case scenario for them.

Best case is they win the lottery and get Ball or Fultz. Most likely is they draft Fox and Monk or some kind of combination like that.

« Reply #314 on: January 17, 2017, 01:08:51 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

He's not going to re-sign to be a backup in Philly.  Failing to trade him in a month will have been a mistake.
He's restricted so he doesn't have a choice right?