Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 369246 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #1005 on: June 05, 2017, 07:29:45 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
If the 76ers plan to sign Lowry...I wonder who they will draft

Is this a real rumor?

« Reply #1006 on: June 05, 2017, 07:49:02 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Is this a real rumor?

Here's a Washington Post article about the possibility and the possible mutual interest.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/05/10/kyle-lowry-and-76ers-reportedly-have-mutual-interest-in-a-philadelphia-homecoming/?utm_term=.a1e64f8da66b

The article proffers reasons why it could happen, but seems skeptical because 1. of the move being seemingly at odds with their "process" and 2. Lowry's express desire to win a championship. Add to that Lowry's window not really coinciding with the Philly younguns', and it doesn't make a lot of sense to me....especially this from the article:

But if he signs with the 76ers, and especially if Embiid and Simmons stay healthy, Philadelphia could be home to a squad that gets dangerous in a hurry

Dangerous, huh?

« Reply #1007 on: June 05, 2017, 07:53:00 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Is this a real rumor?

Here's a Washington Post article about the possibility and the possible mutual interest.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/05/10/kyle-lowry-and-76ers-reportedly-have-mutual-interest-in-a-philadelphia-homecoming/?utm_term=.a1e64f8da66b

The article proffers reasons why it could happen, but seems skeptical because 1. of the move being seemingly at odds with their "process" and 2. Lowry's express desire to win a championship. Add to that Lowry's window not really coinciding with the Philly younguns', and it doesn't make a lot of sense to me....especially this from the article:

But if he signs with the 76ers, and especially if Embiid and Simmons stay healthy, Philadelphia could be home to a squad that gets dangerous in a hurry

Dangerous, huh?

Yea Lowry is 32 next season and has already started dealing with injuries and declining a little. I am not sure why would want to pair him with a bunch of guys 23 or under. Also, not sure why Lowry would want to risk his last attempts at competing for a title. I had heard Jrue Holiday a while back who would at least have some more age overlap being 25 next season.

« Reply #1008 on: June 05, 2017, 09:00:14 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Is this a real rumor?

Dangerous, huh?

Yea Lowry is 32 next season and has already started dealing with injuries and declining a little. I am not sure why would want to pair him with a bunch of guys 23 or under. Also, not sure why Lowry would want to risk his last attempts at competing for a title. I had heard Jrue Holiday a while back who would at least have some more age overlap being 25 next season.
Lowry is a die hard North Philly guy so that is the basis of the speculation.  Signing Lowry makes little sense by itself so I think it would have to be in conjunction with trading the #3 for a star like Butler.  They have plenty of cap space and assets to do it.  The Collangelo's may not have the patience to let the process play out. 

Lowry, Butler, Covington, Simmons, Embiid would be a strong, balanced starting lineup and they'd have a decent bench too.   

Holliday would work as well and would be significantly cheaper.  He'll turn 27 not 25 in a week but has an injury history.  How does he compare to Lowry on catch and shoot?   

« Reply #1009 on: June 05, 2017, 09:03:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Is this a real rumor?

Dangerous, huh?

Lowry is a die hard North Philly guy so that is the basis of the speculation.  Signing Lowry makes little sense by itself so I think it would have to be in conjunction with trading the #3 for a star like Butler.  They have plenty of cap space and assets to do it.  The Collangelo's may not have the patience to let the process play out. 

Lowry, Butler, Covington, Simmons, Embiid would be a strong, balanced starting lineup and they'd have a decent bench too.   

Holliday would work as well and would be significantly cheaper.  He'll turn 27 not 25 in a week but has an injury history.  How does he compare to Lowry on catch and shoot?   

76ers need to use some of the cap though

signing lowry to a 3-4 year max deal is ok

a key reason why he is declining/injured at a fast rate (on top of age) is that he has to do alot for the raptors

could be different in philly

« Reply #1010 on: June 05, 2017, 09:15:53 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Id be absolutely shocked if Lowry went to Philly.

Bet Toronto keeps the gang together.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #1011 on: June 05, 2017, 09:36:35 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Is this a real rumor?

Dangerous, huh?

76ers need to use some of the cap though

signing lowry to a 3-4 year max deal is ok

a key reason why he is declining/injured at a fast rate (on top of age) is that he has to do alot for the raptors

could be different in philly
They do have a whole lot of cap space.  They'll probably do a front loaded renegotiation and extension for Covington.  I read somewhere they could pay him 20+M next year and then drop down to 10-12M for the three extension years.  That would be a good deal for him and them.   

« Reply #1012 on: June 05, 2017, 09:49:13 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Id be absolutely shocked if Lowry went to Philly.

Bet Toronto keeps the gang together.
He probably does resign with Toronto but they don't have much room for improvement.  They'll be stuck as an aging pretender for the next few years. 

If Embiid stays healthy, I'd argue that the Sixers with Lowry, Butler, Covington, Simmons and Embiid would have a better shot at getting by the Cavs. 

« Reply #1013 on: June 05, 2017, 09:55:25 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

This - tp.

If Toronto wavers on re-signing Lowry (like Atl did with Horford), I could see Lowry going back home to Philly and signing a max contract - something he is unlikely to get anywhere else.

That #3 pick would have quite a bit of value, too. If Philly felt content moving forward with Embiid, Lowry, Saric, and Simmons, I could see them flipping that pick for a quality veteran. Covington, Holmes, and Okafor aren't the worst reserves reserves in the world either. They also still have Stauskas and Bayless under contract with young players like Anderson and Luwawu who could possibly make an impact.

« Reply #1014 on: June 05, 2017, 10:13:15 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I don't really see a guy like holiday or Lowry signing a huge deal with Philly until embiid shows he can get through normal minutes for more than a 1/3 of a season and see how Simmons look in the pros. Remember Lebron was a lot younger than Lowry and didn't want the cavs to wait around for Wiggins. Established vets never sign on for the excitement of young players and their potential. It is literally the opposite.

« Reply #1015 on: June 05, 2017, 10:50:27 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
I don't really see a guy like holiday or Lowry signing a huge deal with Philly until embiid shows he can get through normal minutes for more than a 1/3 of a season and see how Simmons look in the pros. Remember Lebron was a lot younger than Lowry and didn't want the cavs to wait around for Wiggins. Established vets never sign on for the excitement of young players and their potential. It is literally the opposite.
They'll go where they are offered the most money like most free agents do.  Lebron wanted Wiggins traded for Love to get a 3rd star to compete for championships.  Can't see Toronto getting past the Cavs.  They're more likely to get bounced in the 1st round.  Sixers are probably a step from NOP for Holiday. 

« Reply #1016 on: June 05, 2017, 11:09:55 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
As an aside, one area where the Sixers are loaded is 2nd round picks.  They have a whopping 16 2nd round picks over the next 5 drafts.  4 of their own and 12 from other teams.  The strange thing is that they essentially have all 5 of the Knicks 2nd rounders.  The one in question is 2018 where they get the better of the Clippers or Knicks pick.  They'll certainly trade some but they'll still have a lot of chances to find 2nd round gems.   

« Reply #1017 on: June 05, 2017, 11:14:57 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
They'll go where they are offered the most money like most free agents do.  Lebron wanted Wiggins traded for Love to get a 3rd star to compete for championships.  Can't see Toronto getting past the Cavs.  They're more likely to get bounced in the 1st round.  Sixers are probably a step from NOP for Holiday.

They will both get max offers multiple places most likely

« Reply #1018 on: June 05, 2017, 11:28:50 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48

you think Holiday gets a max offer?

« Reply #1019 on: June 05, 2017, 11:28:55 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Who is going to give Lowry a Max offer besides Toronto and maybe the Sixers?  There are going to be relatively few teams that can give him 35+M.  Of those that could why would they give it to someone about to turn 32?  I doubt anybody offers Holiday 30+M especially with his injury history.