Author Topic: We are the only team with a greater than 0.001% chance of landing AD  (Read 3814 times)

Re: We are the only team with a greater than 0.001% chance of landing AD
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 09:28:56 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I know that Anthony Davis is not getting traded, he's locked into a long term contract and NO has many years before they have to worry about him itching to be a contender.

However the ammo that we have is unique. A contending team who can offer picks in the lottery. Imagine the rebuild for NO if they essentially had 2 top 5 picks for the next 2 years.

Let's say the trade is AD + filler for Zeller, Brown, KO, Rozier and the Nets picks

NO would have Hield and Brown along with potentially Fultz and Jackson and they whoever emerges in 2018. They would instantly become the most exciting up and coming team in the NBA.

I know they wouldn't ever do the deal but I'd be extremely excited to see a rebuild like that. That's 6 potential stars in 3 years, insane to think about
Yeah and in the process let the pelicans build a dynasty? I know that's the price for Davis but if we are gutting the te like that are we gonna get past the warriors and cavs? We'll probably be in the 2nd tier of contenders like the spurs and tbh if a trade that guts our team cannot bring us to be title favourites, don't do that deal. It's not about AD being worth the package or not (imo yes he's worth that), it's about whether we can win championships after the trade.

How is that considered gutting the team? We give up only one current contributor, KO and we get a franchise center. No way would NO do it though.
We're gutting our wing depth (like it or not, JB is our backup 3 atm) and we're going to rely on marcus smart and gerald green as our small forwards, which I think is a bad option. Also, we'd have no injury insurance if one of our point guards go down in the playoffs if we lose rozier and although KO is a marshmallow, he does provide big man depth and with AD and Amir (both are pretty injury prone imo) all it takes to vanquish our championship dreams is a "freak" injury in the playoffs. Btw Davis is a PF lol, imo what we're giving is pretty fair especially if the 17 pick goes number 1.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2017, 09:30:31 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Six potential stars? Surely you're not including Zeller, Olynyk, and Rozier in that, because LOL.

The 6 are from their own picks and the Nets picks. I'm not that deluded!! :P

Sixers have multiple firsts that aren't there own as well.  Obviously the Sixers aren't nearly as good as the Celtics but you can't just rule them out especially since they have more young players assets than Boston does

Whilst I agree with you on the asset front, the 76ers aren't going to chase AD because the best they could hope for after the deal is to be where NO are right now
Not true.  NOP has 1 star with a bunch of mediocre role players and no good young prospects and very little cap space.  If the Sixers can add AD to Simmons and Embiid assets, they'd be in an great rebuild position with all their cap space even if they had to trade most of their other assets to do it. 

I'd add the Suns and Denver as two other teams that could offer make good offers for Davis.

If you are taking Embiid and Simmons off the table what are the comparable assets you give NO?

Nets picks = Lakers protected and this years 76ers pick?
Brown = ? If not Embiid or Simmons then who? I don't think Okafor has that kind of value, nor Saric
KO = Noel (both impending RFA which restricts their value)
Rozier = Saric? Luwawu? Probably someone in between..

For the 76ers to get into the conversation you have to start with Embiid or Simmons on the table. To match the offer I put in the OP you would need Simmons + 2 high lottery picks (i.e. not future 76ers picks) and 1-2 more young pieces.

So you might end up with Embiid, AD and Stauskas as your main pieces

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2017, 09:36:59 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
I know that Anthony Davis is not getting traded, he's locked into a long term contract and NO has many years before they have to worry about him itching to be a contender.

However the ammo that we have is unique. A contending team who can offer picks in the lottery. Imagine the rebuild for NO if they essentially had 2 top 5 picks for the next 2 years.

Let's say the trade is AD + filler for Zeller, Brown, KO, Rozier and the Nets picks

NO would have Hield and Brown along with potentially Fultz and Jackson and they whoever emerges in 2018. They would instantly become the most exciting up and coming team in the NBA.

I know they wouldn't ever do the deal but I'd be extremely excited to see a rebuild like that. That's 6 potential stars in 3 years, insane to think about
Yeah and in the process let the pelicans build a dynasty? I know that's the price for Davis but if we are gutting the te like that are we gonna get past the warriors and cavs? We'll probably be in the 2nd tier of contenders like the spurs and tbh if a trade that guts our team cannot bring us to be title favourites, don't do that deal. It's not about AD being worth the package or not (imo yes he's worth that), it's about whether we can win championships after the trade.

How is that considered gutting the team? We give up only one current contributor, KO and we get a franchise center. No way would NO do it though.
We're gutting our wing depth (like it or not, JB is our backup 3 atm) and we're going to rely on marcus smart and gerald green as our small forwards, which I think is a bad option. Also, we'd have no injury insurance if one of our point guards go down in the playoffs if we lose rozier and although KO is a marshmallow, he does provide big man depth and with AD and Amir (both are pretty injury prone imo) all it takes to vanquish our championship dreams is a "freak" injury in the playoffs. Btw Davis is a PF lol, imo what we're giving is pretty fair especially if the 17 pick goes number 1.

So what I haven't said in the OP is what else would come back our way. NO would likely send another player or two our way because of roster limits, or the deal involves a third team with more moving parts. I only listed the core part of a deal for simplicity. Anyway we would either have free roster spots to sign someone or have the ex NO guys as backups.

On the injury front, doesn't that go for anyone? If Kyrie goes down for the Cavs in the playoffs they have no point guard to back him up. If Durant gets injured for GS they would have no wing depth. For us, if IT got injured having Rozier ready to go isn't going to make much difference, especially come playoff time.

To me Davis is a Center. Especially if he comes to the East which seems to be lighter on true centers. however he and Al would be very interchangeable depending on matchups, much like Al and Amir are at the moment

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2017, 09:44:18 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I proposed a trade yesterday with NO where Boston got Davis, Asik, and Hill, which thus provided enough quality bench depth that the trade made sense for Boston and that type of trade would be more palatable for NO because why on earth would they want to keep Asik and Hill if they were trading Davis.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2017, 09:54:45 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Six potential stars? Surely you're not including Zeller, Olynyk, and Rozier in that, because LOL.

The 6 are from their own picks and the Nets picks. I'm not that deluded!! :P

Sixers have multiple firsts that aren't there own as well.  Obviously the Sixers aren't nearly as good as the Celtics but you can't just rule them out especially since they have more young players assets than Boston does

Whilst I agree with you on the asset front, the 76ers aren't going to chase AD because the best they could hope for after the deal is to be where NO are right now
Not true.  NOP has 1 star with a bunch of mediocre role players and no good young prospects and very little cap space.  If the Sixers can add AD to Simmons and Embiid assets, they'd be in an great rebuild position with all their cap space even if they had to trade most of their other assets to do it. 

I'd add the Suns and Denver as two other teams that could offer make good offers for Davis.

If you are taking Embiid and Simmons off the table what are the comparable assets you give NO?

Nets picks = Lakers protected and this years 76ers pick?
Brown = ? If not Embiid or Simmons then who? I don't think Okafor has that kind of value, nor Saric
KO = Noel (both impending RFA which restricts their value)
Rozier = Saric? Luwawu? Probably someone in between..

For the 76ers to get into the conversation you have to start with Embiid or Simmons on the table. To match the offer I put in the OP you would need Simmons + 2 high lottery picks (i.e. not future 76ers picks) and 1-2 more young pieces.

So you might end up with Embiid, AD and Stauskas as your main pieces
Sixers also own Sacramento's picks (a pick swap this year and the pick outright in the future).  The future pick could end up like a Nets pick or maybe the Kings actually put it together and it is a late 1st.  Who knows, but it is certainly a valuable pick.

Saric is a far greater prospect than Rozier.  I don't think it is even close.  I think you could argue that Saric and Brown are fairly similar prospects given they are both rookies and Saric is out performing Brown.  I do think Brown has more top end potential (especially given his age), but Saric has a higher floor since he is already better than Brown.  They are both cost controlled for the same amount time though Saric is obviously cheaper. 

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2017, 10:00:32 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
I proposed a trade yesterday with NO where Boston got Davis, Asik, and Hill, which thus provided enough quality bench depth that the trade made sense for Boston and that type of trade would be more palatable for NO because why on earth would they want to keep Asik and Hill if they were trading Davis.

Yeah that would kinda work, it's a lot of salary to take on though for 2 mediocre players. But it does have to work for NO too.

I do agree that Saric is more valuable than ROzier, not Brown though. NO would be looking at the ceiling of the player not the floor. There is far less value in a guy like Saric than Brown. The sixers offer would likely have a piece slightly less valuable than Brown and another piece more valuable than Rozier to even it out. Maybe that ends up Okafor and Saric.

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2017, 10:06:48 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Yeah that would kinda work, it's a lot of salary to take on though for 2 mediocre players. But it does have to work for NO too.

I do agree that Saric is more valuable than ROzier, not Brown though. NO would be looking at the ceiling of the player not the floor. There is far less value in a guy like Saric than Brown. The sixers offer would likely have a piece slightly less valuable than Brown and another piece more valuable than Rozier to even it out. Maybe that ends up Okafor and Saric.
Here was the trade.  As I said in that other thread, the only way New Orleans trades Davis is if Davis demands a trade.  It is a lot to give up for Davis, but a player like that doesn't come along very often, especially one who is signed long term on a reasonable deal (given the new cap numbers).  Moore could be swapped with Hill which would also allow Boston to keep Young, but I think N.O. would rather unload Hill and Boston probably is better off with the bigger player that could actually play SF so I left it like that.

Boston - Davis, Asik, Hill
New Orleans - Johnson, Jerekbo, Brown, Smart, Zeller, Young, BOS 17, BKN 18

Boston post-trade with 3 open roster spots (for vets)

PG - Thomas, Rozier, Jackson
SG - Bradley, Green
SF - Crowder, Hill
PF - Davis, Olynyk, Mickey
C - Horford, Asik

That is a championship level starting 5 and has a solid bench, though the team could use another vet or two, especially in the backcourt.

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2017, 10:44:18 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Here was the trade.  As I said in that other thread, the only way New Orleans trades Davis is if Davis demands a trade.  It is a lot to give up for Davis, but a player like that doesn't come along very often, especially one who is signed long term on a reasonable deal (given the new cap numbers).  Moore could be swapped with Hill which would also allow Boston to keep Young, but I think N.O. would rather unload Hill and Boston probably is better off with the bigger player that could actually play SF so I left it like that.

SG - Bradley, Green
SF - Crowder, Hill
C - Horford, Asik

That is a championship level starting 5 and has a solid bench, though the team could use another vet or two, especially in the backcourt.

Are you keeping Olynyk next year?  IT and Bradley in two years?  I think that team becomes prohibitively expensive in 2018, with limited avenues to replace major contributors who leave in free agency.

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2017, 11:13:54 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

SG - Bradley, Green
SF - Crowder, Hill
C - Horford, Asik

Are you keeping Olynyk next year?  IT and Bradley in two years?  I think that team becomes prohibitively expensive in 2018, with limited avenues to replace major contributors who leave in free agency.
See no reason to keep KO unless he has a contract under 10 million.  I'd keep Bradley and Thomas in the 20 million range.  Yes that means the team has a high payroll, but that team would be a legit contender so you have to keep the main pieces together.  Still have Yabu and Zizic and Boston's picks from 2018 on as well as Memphis and LAC.