Author Topic: We are the only team with a greater than 0.001% chance of landing AD  (Read 3811 times)

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I know that Anthony Davis is not getting traded, he's locked into a long term contract and NO has many years before they have to worry about him itching to be a contender.

However the ammo that we have is unique. A contending team who can offer picks in the lottery. Imagine the rebuild for NO if they essentially had 2 top 5 picks for the next 2 years.

Let's say the trade is AD + filler for Zeller, Brown, KO, Rozier and the Nets picks

NO would have Hield and Brown along with potentially Fultz and Jackson and they whoever emerges in 2018. They would instantly become the most exciting up and coming team in the NBA.

I know they wouldn't ever do the deal but I'd be extremely excited to see a rebuild like that. That's 6 potential stars in 3 years, insane to think about

Re: We are the only team with a greater than 0.001% chance of landing AD
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 06:48:20 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Six potential stars? Surely you're not including Zeller, Olynyk, and Rozier in that, because LOL.

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 06:51:54 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I know that Anthony Davis is not getting traded, he's locked into a long term contract and NO has many years before they have to worry about him itching to be a contender.

However the ammo that we have is unique. A contending team who can offer picks in the lottery. Imagine the rebuild for NO if they essentially had 2 top 5 picks for the next 2 years.

Let's say the trade is AD + filler for Zeller, Brown, KO, Rozier and the Nets picks

NO would have Hield and Brown along with potentially Fultz and Jackson and they whoever emerges in 2018. They would instantly become the most exciting up and coming team in the NBA.

I know they wouldn't ever do the deal but I'd be extremely excited to see a rebuild like that. That's 6 potential stars in 3 years, insane to think about
Yeah and in the process let the pelicans build a dynasty? I know that's the price for Davis but if we are gutting the te like that are we gonna get past the warriors and cavs? We'll probably be in the 2nd tier of contenders like the spurs and tbh if a trade that guts our team cannot bring us to be title favourites, don't do that deal. It's not about AD being worth the package or not (imo yes he's worth that), it's about whether we can win championships after the trade.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 07:09:20 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Sixers have multiple firsts that aren't there own as well.  Obviously the Sixers aren't nearly as good as the Celtics but you can't just rule them out especially since they have more young players assets than Boston does
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 07:17:37 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Sixers have multiple firsts that aren't there own as well.  Obviously the Sixers aren't nearly as good as the Celtics but you can't just rule them out especially since they have more young players assets than Boston does
Yeah, we need to hope that the 76ers have some busts along the way as well as trade some future studs for a bag of chips for us to dominate or be contenders in the future, if everything goes well for them, we would get blown out of the water
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 07:26:11 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell

Yeah and in the process let the pelicans build a dynasty? I know that's the price for Davis but if we are gutting the te like that are we gonna get past the warriors and cavs? We'll probably be in the 2nd tier of contenders like the spurs and tbh if a trade that guts our team cannot bring us to be title favourites, don't do that deal. It's not about AD being worth the package or not (imo yes he's worth that), it's about whether we can win championships after the trade.

We would have a roster of
IT - Bradley - Crowder - Horford - Davis
Smart - Green - (filler) - Amir - (filler)

NO would have to send another player or two back to us which would fill the rotation. You don't think that team could compete with Cleveland and GS? Davis makes us their equal

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 07:27:56 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
Six potential stars? Surely you're not including Zeller, Olynyk, and Rozier in that, because LOL.

The 6 are from their own picks and the Nets picks. I'm not that deluded!! :P

Whilst I agree with you on the asset front, the 76ers aren't going to chase AD because the best they could hope for after the deal is to be where NO are right now

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 07:51:11 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

We would have a roster of
IT - Bradley - Crowder - Horford - Davis
Smart - Green - (filler) - Amir - (filler)

NO would have to send another player or two back to us which would fill the rotation. You don't think that team could compete with Cleveland and GS? Davis makes us their equal
Bench looks suspect. Also, as legendary Davis is, keep in mind that he doesn't have the experience LeBron has, so I don't think he'll get us past LeBron in the short term. Also, if we do, we've got a team with 2mvps and 2 superstars to face. That's better than 1 mvp candidate, 1 superstar and 1 all star. Face reality, if we're doing this trade we would be stuck in no man's land
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 08:00:53 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

Yeah, I realized after the fact. Good thing, haha. TP

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 08:06:49 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

Whilst I agree with you on the asset front, the 76ers aren't going to chase AD because the best they could hope for after the deal is to be where NO are right now
Not true.  NOP has 1 star with a bunch of mediocre role players and no good young prospects and very little cap space.  If the Sixers can add AD to Simmons and Embiid assets, they'd be in an great rebuild position with all their cap space even if they had to trade most of their other assets to do it. 

I'd add the Suns and Denver as two other teams that could offer make good offers for Davis. 

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 08:11:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Not true.  NOP has 1 star with a bunch of mediocre role players and no good young prospects and very little cap space.  If the Sixers can add AD to Simmons and Embiid assets, they'd be in an great rebuild position with all their cap space even if they had to trade most of their other assets to do it. 

I'd add the Suns and Denver as two other teams that could offer make good offers for Davis.
Yeah that was my thinking on the Sixers.  The real question is could Embiid, Simmons, and Davis all play together and that I have doubts about.  Maybe they trade Simmons to New Orleans and keep some of the other assets.  Simmons, Okafor, and a couple of protected picks (or the lesser of their picks this year i.e. either theirs or LA's).  Plus Philly has enough cap room they could also take Asik, Hill, etc. to allow a full rebuild in New Orleans without the burden of long contracts to role players. 

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 08:46:02 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Yeah, we need to hope that the 76ers have some busts along the way as well as trade some future studs for a bag of chips for us to dominate or be contenders in the future, if everything goes well for them, we would get blown out of the water

I'm not sure why people are assuming that the 76ers will dominate. There have been teams that have had top talent and still never reached their goals. Phoenix Suns, Sacramento Kings, Utah Jazz, LAC, Portland, OKC, etc. etc.

I honestly think that they will be hard pressed to sign their guys to long term deals, esp if their embarrassing losses continue. You can draft the best 19 yr olds in the world, and still have a record like the 76ers or T-wolves.

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 08:53:54 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Yeah that was my thinking on the Sixers.  The real question is could Embiid, Simmons, and Davis all play together and that I have doubts about.  Maybe they trade Simmons to New Orleans and keep some of the other assets.  Simmons, Okafor, and a couple of protected picks (or the lesser of their picks this year i.e. either theirs or LA's).  Plus Philly has enough cap room they could also take Asik, Hill, etc. to allow a full rebuild in New Orleans without the burden of long contracts to role players.
I would think the starting point to trade for AD would be Embiid.  Why would NO ask for less.

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 09:02:51 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I would think the starting point to trade for AD would be Embiid.  Why would NO ask for less.
What New Orleans may want and what Philly or any other team may offer are two entirely different things.  But yeah if Embiid is on the table I don't think any team could realistically match that.

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 09:24:33 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703

How is that considered gutting the team? We give up only one current contributor, KO and we get a franchise center. No way would NO do it though.

You honestly don't think that upgrading from Olynyk to Anthony Davis makes us contenders?