Author Topic: Sixers (9-24) at Celtics (21-14) Game #36 1/6/17  (Read 52451 times)

Sixers (9-24) at Celtics (21-14) Game #36 1/6/17
« on: January 05, 2017, 09:08:22 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Philadelphia 76ers (9-24)  at  Boston Celtics (21-14)
Regular Season Game #36, Home Game #16
Friday, January 6, 2017
7:30 PM ET
TV: CSNNE, CSN-PHI, NBA-LP 755(DTV)/755 (Xfinity)
Radio: 98.5 Sports Hub, 97.5 The Fanatic
TD Garden

Probable Starters

PG Isaiah Thomas....... SG: Avery Bradley

C:  Amir Johnson

SF: Jae Crowder  .............. PF: Al Horford

Celtics Reserves
Jaylen Brown
Gerald Green
Terry Rozier
James Young
Jonas Jerebko
Tyler Zeller
Marcus Smart
Kelly Olynyk
Demetrius Jackson

Injuries

Tyler Zeller  (illness) game time decision
James Young (ankle)  game time decision
Jordan Mickey (illness) questionable
Head Coach
Brad Stevens

Probable Starters

PG:  TJ McConnell ................ SG:  Nik Stauskas 

C:  Joel Embiid

SF:  Robert Covington .............. PF: Ersan Ilyasova

Sixers Reserves
Jahlil Okafor
Dario Saric
Nerlens Noel
Timothe Luwawu Cabarret

Injuries
Richaun Holmes (concussion) questionable
Joel Embiid (illness)  questionable
Ben Simmons (foot)  out
Robert Covington (back) questionable
Sergio Rodriguez (ankle)  out
Gerald Henderson  (hip)  probable
Jerryd Bayless (wrist)  out

Coach
Brett Brown

Game Notes   
The Celtics continue their home stand with a visit from the division rival Philadelphia 76ers for the 2nd of 4  meetings this season.  The Celtics and Sixers met once in the first game of the preseason with the Sixers coming out on top. They also met in the beginning of December on the Sixers home court and the Celtics escaped with a 107-106 win.   They will meet in Boston on 2/15 and in Philadelphia on 3/19.

Both teams should be rested coming into this game.  This is just the second game that they are playing over a 7 day stretch with their last game on Tuesday.  The Sixers have also  been off since Tuesday when they pulled out a thrilling last second win over the Timberwolves. 

Both teams have won their last 2 games and are looking for their third straight win.  The Celtics are 8-2 over their last 10 games while the Sixers are 4-6 over their last 10.  The Celtics are looking to establish themselves on their home court with a 9-6 record and a schedule in January that is heavy on the home games.  The Celtics are playing in the first of back to back games with the Pelicans coming to town on Saturday. 

James Young (ankle) and Tyler Zeller (illness) were both unable to practice and they are both listed as game time decisions for the Celtics.   Jordan Mickey is the latest player to be slowed by an illness and he did not practice.  He is listed as questionable. 

Joel Embiid missed practice on Thursday with a stomach bug and his status for this game is questionable.   Gerald Henderson (hip) was able to practice on Thursday and is listed as probable.    Sergio Rodgriguez (ankle), Jerryd Bayless (wrist), and Ben Simmons (foot) are all expected to miss this game.  Robert Covington left practice early on Thursday morning with a lower back contusion. He is listed as questionable for Friday night against the Celtics as is Richaun Holmes (concussion).

Key Matchups
  vs 
Amir Johnson vs Joel Embiid
Embiid sat out the first meeting between these two teams for rest and is questionable for this game after sitting out Thursday's practice.  But, if he is able to play, the Celtics will have to deal with him because he has been playing very well.  He is averaging 19.2 points, 7.3 rebounds and 2.4 blocks.  He is the reigning December Rookie of the Month and will be a tough matchup.  The Celtics will need to slow him down and keep him away from the basket. 

vs
Al Horford vs Ersan Ilyasova
Ilyasova is averaging 14.0 points, 6.4 rebounds and 1.5 assists.  He came up big in their first meeting with 19 points and so the Celtics will need to keep him from having another big game. 

Honorable Mention

Marcus Smart vs Dario Saric 
This will be a battle of sixth men.  In the first meeting between these two teams Saric had 21 points and 12 rebounds in a break out game for him.   He is averaging 9.4 points, 5.9 rebunds and 1.7 assists.  The Celtics need to keep him from having another big game against them. 

Keys to the Game
Defense - The Celtic struggled with their defense early on and seemed to be getting their defensive swagger back recently,  especially in their last game against the Jazz.  They need to keep their priority on playing tough team defense.     Defense wins games.

Be Aggressive
- The Celtics have to be the more aggressive team and go after all the loose balls, and aggressively crash the boards and go after rebounds.  As said above, they must be aggressive on defense. They also have to be aggressive in taking the ball into the paint.  The more aggressive team will usually get the benefit of the whistles.

Move the Ball - The Celtics have shown beautiful ball movement at times and they have been able to make the extra pass and find the open man to get the best shot.   But  at other times, their assist levels have dropped and they play more one on one and take quick shots.   Hero ball rarely wins games. 

Rebound -  Rebounding has been a weakness for this team this season so far.  They must put out the extra effort to crash the boards and win the rebounding battle.  The Sixers average 12.8 2nd chance points per game and the Celtics need to grab rebounds to keep them from scoring on put backs and second chance baskets. 

X-Factors
Focus - The Celtics lost one game to the Sixers in the preseason and they just squeaked by them by one point in their first meeting.  The Celtics can't come into the game expecting a win because of the Sixers record.  They  have to come in focused and play their game and not expect an easy game because the Sixers are below .500. 

Officiating - Officiating will always be an x-factor.  Some crews call every little bit of contact that takes the flow out of the game.  Some crews let them play.  Some refs have an agenda against a team, a coach or a player.  All of these things can alter the way a game is played and the ability of a team to play well.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 09:46:11 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Sixers (9-24) at Celtics (21-14) Game #36 1/6/17
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 09:09:56 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
FRist

Haha! Got it! Finally.

What an honour. What an acheivement!

Big minutes for Jaylen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 09:14:17 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Embiid apparently sat out practice today with a stomach illness and is questionable for the game. 

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 09:17:36 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to trickybilly for being the first to post in the game thread. 

Gooooooooooo Celtics!   

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 09:18:17 PM »

Offline Bostoncelticsforlife7

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
TP FL! Hopefully this be an easy one and well be able to see a lot from Jaylen
Warning: I am a Marucs Smart homer

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 09:34:55 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Hope Brown gets 30 plus minutes

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 06:40:17 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
TP brother!

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 08:21:13 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
TP FL! Hopefully this be an easy one and well be able to see a lot from Jaylen
I don't expect this to be an easy game. we barely won the previous game.

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 08:46:37 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
That sixers injury list is extensive.  If all those guys sit (but especially Embiid and Covington), this should be a blowout.  Yes, more Jaylen please.

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 12:35:30 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I don't mean to jinx it, but with Embiid and Rodriguez out, and us playing at home at full strength, this should be an easy game.

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 12:38:40 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I don't mean to jinx it, but with Embiid and Rodriguez out, and us playing at home at full strength, this should be an easy game.

It would be nice to keep our starters rested since there's another game tomorrow.

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 12:45:13 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Status has changed- Embiid is likely to play.

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 12:45:38 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I am sure this has occurred to others but we probably gain more if we lose this game and let Philly add to their lead over Brooklyn.  I am not suggesting the Celtics would think that way, just saying it would be a good game to rest someone if there was someone that needed rest.

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 12:45:43 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
That sixers injury list is extensive.  If all those guys sit (but especially Embiid and Covington), this should be a blowout.  Yes, more Jaylen please.

Didn't we say that the last time we played them, though?  That was in Philly, so it's a little different, but I still wouldn't count Philly out

I want to see the whole team go off and bury them by like 20 at half
I'm bitter.

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 03:20:51 PM »

Offline Bostoncelticsforlife7

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
I am sure this has occurred to others but we probably gain more if we lose this game and let Philly add to their lead over Brooklyn.  I am not suggesting the Celtics would think that way, just saying it would be a good game to rest someone if there was someone that needed rest.

Brooklyn is undoubtedly the worst team in the league now, and with Simmons coming back soon, I'm pretty confident that the Sixers will further separate themselves from us. Right now the team that I'm worrying about the most is the Miami Heat, they are clearly tanking and I wouldn't be surprised if they trade Dragic relatively soon. But as of right now we have a lot of separation from other teams.
Warning: I am a Marucs Smart homer