Author Topic: Now that Korver is traded is Dwight available?  (Read 6917 times)

Re: Now that Korver is traded is Dwight available?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2017, 09:24:44 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I mean.......if you can get Dwight for spare parts (meaning no Avery/Jae/Smart/Jaylen or Nets picks) and contracts, I'd kick the tires on him. There's no real loss in giving up contracts (like Zeller) and late firsts.

They're gonna want more than that, but maybe they take the future Memphis pick and Clippers picks.

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 09:25:52 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Howard is everything Noel wants to be. I would love to have him and Horford up front and I can't imagine the pricetag would be outrageous.

While it would eliminate us from free agency next year, we would still have all of our trade options open - especially if we hang on to Zeller who we have the option on for next year.

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2017, 09:28:40 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
I mean.......if you can get Dwight for spare parts (meaning no Avery/Jae/Smart/Jaylen or Nets picks) and contracts, I'd kick the tires on him. There's no real loss in giving up contracts (like Zeller) and late firsts.

They're gonna want more than that, but maybe they take the future Memphis pick and Clippers picks.

Yea, that's possible, but it's also no tragedy if Boston doesn't get him. Brooklyn picks are entirely off the table, and the Memphis pick is a toss-up, but Boston's in the kind of spot where they have the luxury of making an offer they're comfortable with and genuinely being okay with what Atlanta decides either way.

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2017, 09:36:26 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Do not want.

I do.  He's played well and been a fine teammate this year.  Maybe we can add McHale as a special "Dwight consultant."  He's having the best rebounding year of his career in terms of rates, as well as the highest TS%. If you're convinced that Cousins can be a good player in Boston, I see no reason to believe that Howard wouldn't be.

False equivalency. The two players are VASTLY different in style and quality.

From Roy's posts over the years, his objections to Dwight have largely centered on personality, which he defends Cousins on.  So no, it isn't.

I'd imagine he's willing to put up with a knucklehead with MVP talent, but not one without it. So, it sort of is.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2017, 09:36:40 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I doubt Al wants to even be on the same team with Howard .

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2017, 09:36:55 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Do not want.

I do.  He's played well and been a fine teammate this year.  Maybe we can add McHale as a special "Dwight consultant."  He's having the best rebounding year of his career in terms of rates, as well as the highest TS%. If you're convinced that Cousins can be a good player in Boston, I see no reason to believe that Howard wouldn't be.

False equivalency. The two players are VASTLY different in style and quality.

From Roy's posts over the years, his objections to Dwight have largely centered on personality, which he defends Cousins on.  So no, it isn't.

Dwight has been a malcontent in various different locker rooms, he doesn't take the game seriously, he's old, and his body is breaking down. He has a negligible effect on his team's on court performance compared to when he's on the bench.

None of that is true of Cousins.  Also, Cousins could be an MVP in Boston. Howard, at best, is a good center who is a poor fit in our offense.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2017, 09:41:58 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Howard is everything Noel wants to be. I would love to have him and Horford up front and I can't imagine the pricetag would be outrageous.

While it would eliminate us from free agency next year, we would still have all of our trade options open - especially if we hang on to Zeller who we have the option on for next year.

Yep, would absolutely love him, especially if it doesn't cost us either of the Brooklyn picks or Brown. I don't think he can command that right now.

That'd still leave us open for something like a Butler or George deal. And if no deal materializes then Horford and Dwight will allow us to contend right now, and when their contracts run out Smart, Brown, and the Brooklyn picks would be coming into their own.

I think it's a win-win if you can get away with using the Clippers and Memphis picks.

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2017, 09:42:09 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
He is locked up at a reasonable price, could we trade for him and still have max space next year?

Bos send: Crowder,Zellar, KO, bos 18
Atl sends : Howard

IT.        Rozier
AB        Smart
Hayward.   Brown
Horford      Nets 17
Howard.    Zicic

Nope.

We could actually, we'd just be running out a starting 4 each night
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2017, 09:42:43 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
He is locked up at a reasonable price, could we trade for him and still have max space next year?

Bos send: Crowder,Zellar, KO, bos 18

IT.        Rozier
AB        Smart
Hayward.   Brown
Horford      Nets 17
Howard.    Zicic

Nope.

We could actually, we'd just be running out a starting 4 each night

Lol, TP!
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2017, 09:51:12 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Will Dwight want to post up a lot?

if so, I'll take a hard pass. From what I remember of this last off-season, Dwight thinks he should get the rock and go to work on the block, when he's actually far more effective as a pick and roll big.

I dont think Dwight posting up fits CBS's schemes.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2017, 10:26:30 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Bos send: Crowder,Amir,Zellar, KO, bos 18

IT.        Rozier
AB        Smart
Hayward.   Brown
Horford      Nets 17
Howard.    Zicic

First, I am not sure about pairing Horford with Howard.

Second, we are giving up way too much: three bigs (Zeller, Amir, Kelly), a great contract (Crowder), and a lottery (assuming the trade goes through) pick.

PS According to the OP, by trading for Howard, we magically get Hayward too. OK...

PPS I just saw saltlover's posts, which are always interesting to read. He is right that Howard's numbers have improved this season. But so has Houston after he left...

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2017, 10:37:17 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
After watching Dwight play recently its a hard no from me

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2017, 10:51:10 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

IT.        Rozier
AB        Smart
Hayward.   Brown
Horford      Nets 17
Howard.    Zicic

That is not enough I think if you add IT and Horford Atlanta might do it. (Snicker)

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2017, 11:32:47 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

IT.        Rozier
AB        Smart
Hayward.   Brown
Horford      Nets 17
Howard.    Zicic

First, I am not sure about pairing Horford with Howard.

Second, we are giving up way too much: three bigs (Zeller, Amir, Kelly), a great contract (Crowder), and a lottery (assuming the trade goes through) pick.

PS According to the OP, by trading for Howard, we magically get Hayward too. OK...

PPS I just saw saltlover's posts, which are always interesting to read. He is right that Howard's numbers have improved this season. But so has Houston after he left...

Haha, thanks.  I just think he was a terrible fit in Houston.  Rather than his game dramatically declining, as was the popular narrative, he's really been the same player.  I don't really attribute Atlanta's non-elite play to him either.  They're on a 46-win pace, having replaced Horford with Dwight, Teague with nobody, and good Kent Bazemore with bad Kent Bazemore.

A lot of people didn't like that Dwight forced his way out of Orlando, and then didn't stick with the Lakers once he realized what a jerk Kobe Bryant was. But if we want this team to not get bullied by Tristan Thompson and Jonas Valuncianas, Dwight is the guy who can solve that, not Paul Milsap, and certainly not Jimmy Butler.  Our number one weakness is defensive rebounding -- Howard is 6th in the league in DREB%.  He's first in OREB%.  He's sixth in Defensive rating. He'll sure up the defense because our guards can go back to focusing on making guys miss shots, and not focus on getting the rebound as well.  He's limited offensively, but if the defense doesn't successfully deny him the ball near the basket, its two points.

He's signed for two more years at below max numbers, which will help the team keep its guards together.  He's played in at least 70 games 3 of the last 4 years, and is on pace to do so again.  He generally averages 30 minutes a game.  Injuries aren't a major concern.

I wouldn't go overboard for trading for him (no Brooklyn pick this year or maybe next year) but he fills our team needs better than Milsap, and is not an expiring like Milsap.  He can play next to Horford in a two big lineup, or surrounded by four shooters.  I'm not sure he'd be in my close-out-the-game lineup due to the tendency for teams to go small at the end, but that's okay.

If Horford or IT said "No, he's a jerk, don't bring him here", then fine, I wouldn't be down with that.  But as I've never heard that, I'm in.  Sure I'd prefer Cousins, but I won't fall for being the enemy of the perfect.

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2017, 11:55:19 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Howard at the right price would make us quite competitive for the next couple of years at an affordable price while we transition to our next phase. I think Horford would be thrilled to play along side him. Could focus more at the 4 spot. Good idea.