Poll

Which one of these players would you want the Celtics to acquire by the trade deadline?

Brook Lopez
Nerlens Noel
Andrew Bogut
Jusuf Nurkic
Omer Asik

Author Topic: Big men that are clearly available at this trade deadline  (Read 9554 times)

Re: Big men that are clearly available at this trade deadline
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2017, 02:40:37 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I voted for Noel, but Nurkic may be the better offensive player?

All the others are vets who don't help the long-term, and certainly don't move the needle as far as beating Cleveland.

His per 36 numbers are shockingly close to what Boogie Cousins was putting up at the same age

Per 36 numbers at age 22
               Pts    Reb   Ast  Stls  Blcks  To    PF     FG%
Cousins    20.1  11.7  3.1  1.7   0.9    3.5  4.2   .465
Nurkic      17.1  12.2  2.8  1.2   1.7    4.0  4.0   .537

You should also include the minutes with this:
Boogie: 30.7 mpg
Nurkic: 19.7 mpg

It's nice that Nurkic is having a similar per-minute output to Cousins at that age, but that's a huge difference in minutes

Sure, and for further context we should probably add in that the 2012-2013 Sacramento Kings went 28-54 with Boogie playing 30.7 minutes a night.  Tanking teams let their young players play... is that your point?

No, the point I'm making is that while it's encouraging that Nurkic has played that effectively in less than 20 minutes per game, it's not really comparable to doing so in 30 minutes per game.  Keeping up that effectiveness for 50% more time is huge.  Using just per36 numbers without acknowledging the difference in minutes is disingenuous

Yep, BitterJim is spot on on this one. When it comes to metrics per 36 mins, MPG makes a huge difference.

« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2017, 03:48:40 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I voted for Noel, but Nurkic may be the better offensive player?

All the others are vets who don't help the long-term, and certainly don't move the needle as far as beating Cleveland.

His per 36 numbers are shockingly close to what Boogie Cousins was putting up at the same age

Per 36 numbers at age 22
               Pts    Reb   Ast  Stls  Blcks  To    PF     FG%
Cousins    20.1  11.7  3.1  1.7   0.9    3.5  4.2   .465
Nurkic      17.1  12.2  2.8  1.2   1.7    4.0  4.0   .537

You should also include the minutes with this:
Boogie: 30.7 mpg
Nurkic: 19.7 mpg

It's nice that Nurkic is having a similar per-minute output to Cousins at that age, but that's a huge difference in minutes

Sure, and for further context we should probably add in that the 2012-2013 Sacramento Kings went 28-54 with Boogie playing 30.7 minutes a night.  Tanking teams let their young players play... is that your point?

No, the point I'm making is that while it's encouraging that Nurkic has played that effectively in less than 20 minutes per game, it's not really comparable to doing so in 30 minutes per game.  Keeping up that effectiveness for 50% more time is huge.  Using just per36 numbers without acknowledging the difference in minutes is disingenuous

I actually think in many cases you'd be correct.  Comparing the per 36 minute stats of a backup to a starter is not really valuable since they're playing against different levels competition, but in this case we're comparing per 36 minute stats of a starting center to another starting center (Nurkic was the starter for Denver until last week).  The biggest difference between the two players is the situation.

Nurkic is playing for a team that A.  Wants to make the playoffs B.  Has another dynamic center that is a much better fit for how they want to play and C. Has changed its direction like 12 times in the last four years.

Cousins at 22 played for a team that was TRYING to lose games and had a mandate to play and develop him.  Ignoring the number of minutes and all the stats he put up in garbage time of their 54 losses that season seems more disingenuous to me than comparing one young starter's per minute averages to another's at the same age.   

It's not as if Denver hasn't had it's share of garbage minutes (they've had 8 games that were decided by 15 points or more so far, as compared to 10 by the (13-21) Kings at this point in 2013), and Cousins was earning his minutes (he was tied with Tyreke Evans for the second most win shares on the team behind our friend Isaiah Thomas).  Yes, the Kings were awful that year, but it's not like this year's Nuggets are that much better (they're just a half game ahead of where the Kings were at this point in 2013), and Cousins played because he helped the team, not just because he was young.

But, again, I'm not saying that you can;t compare him to Cousins because Cousins played more minutes, I'm saying that comparing players based on per36 numbers is misleading when you leave out their minutes played. I like Nurkic, but there's no way he'd keep up that efficiency in an extra 10 minutes a game (likewise, I'd expect Cousins' efficiency to have been higher if he had played 10 fewer minutes per game).  His per36 stats are nice, but they're also comparable to lesser guys like JJ Hickson, Sean May, John Henson, Jared Sullinger, Kenneth Faried, Greg Monroe, and Enes Kanter at the same age

Are they now?  Please feel free to post their per 36 numbers so we can compare them.

This is a full list of players who at 22 had at least 16 pts and 10 rbds per36 and their per36 stats

That's great, but we also looked at assists, turnovers, blocks, steals, personal fouls, and field goal percentages when making our original comparison.

Please go ahead and post those for comparison's sake...

I can't recall who, but someone on this thread felt cherry picking stats was disingenuous, I just don't want your integrity to come under fire.

*Imagine I inserted an equally condescending counter here (pretend it was a good one)*

Assists, Blocks, TOVs, Steals, PFs, and FG% are all there if you follow the link. I don't have time to copy them all over, but I'll give a quick overview:

Out of 19 players (~half of which are stars, and the other half rotation players to decent starters to out of the league) Nurkic is 6th in assists, 5th in blocks, 19th in TOVs (4.0/36min vs 3.5/36min for 18th), 5th for steals, 16th for fouls, 6th for FG%, 6th for TRB, 15th for PTS, 18th for MPG (ahead of only 2012-13 John Henson), and 18th for WS/48 (ahead of only 2010-11 JJ Hickson)

So, he's ahead of the pack in some things, and behind in others, just like every player in any wide range of stats ever (for reference, Cousins is 5th, 13th, 18th, 1st, 18th, 17th,  10th, 5th, 9th, and 16th, and old friend Jared Sullinger is 4th, 12th, 1st, 8th, 10th, 19th, 17th, 10th, 13th, and 13th, both of which are mixes of being good at some things, bad at others, and middle of the pack on others)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2017, 04:55:18 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
I voted for Nurkic... but to be honest, I think the best options aren't being discussed enough.

My biggest concern with the suggestions put forward is that they don't change the way we win games and in the playoffs if we depend on IT scoring 30+ to be competitive we're as good as gone.... look at the multiple ways a Spurs, Cavs, Warriors or even Raptors can beat you. The options put forward are good, but honestly I don't see them making us much better in a 7-game series, which is where my mind is at... makes no sense to me making a move to win 60+ games and can't get past Cavs.

Ultimately I think our best options are young, low-post monsters that can score and rebound. I think sometimes we underestimate how much a low-post threat stretches the floor when defenders try to cheat to double-team... monsters like Shaq, Olajuwon, Tim Duncan created opportunities for the Horrys, Elliotts, Elies of the NBA.

My dream options are: Nicola Vucevic, Greg Munroe and Jahlil Okafor... all of which average double-doubles and all of which are in situations that we could probably get without sacrificing a key piece or a BK pick.

People are dumping on Munroe now, but I remember when there was a legitimate argument as to who would be better for Detroit to build around, him or Drummond. A solid double-double threat that shoots 70% from the line.
Jahlil Okafor is a one-dimensional player, no questions there... but that dimension is what we need when our star player is 5'9" and weigh about 160lbs and of the options he is still the only one with HOF upside in my opinion - but he needs a system and structure; we provide both. We wanted Kevin Love, he's one-dimensional, we want Nerlens Noel, he's one-dimensional, we want Andrew Bogut, he's one-dimensional.
Vucevic feels like the middle ground between the other options and is just a solid all-round player... that can comfortably hit mid-range shots.

Of course if we get Boogie, screw everything I just wrote
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 05:08:47 PM by __ramonezy__ »

« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2017, 05:32:46 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I voted for Nurkic... but to be honest, I think the best options aren't being discussed enough.

My biggest concern with the suggestions put forward is that they don't change the way we win games and in the playoffs if we depend on IT scoring 30+ to be competitive we're as good as gone.... look at the multiple ways a Spurs, Cavs, Warriors or even Raptors can beat you. The options put forward are good, but honestly I don't see them making us much better in a 7-game series, which is where my mind is at... makes no sense to me making a move to win 60+ games and can't get past Cavs.

Ultimately I think our best options are young, low-post monsters that can score and rebound. I think sometimes we underestimate how much a low-post threat stretches the floor when defenders try to cheat to double-team... monsters like Shaq, Olajuwon, Tim Duncan created opportunities for the Horrys, Elliotts, Elies of the NBA.

My dream options are: Nicola Vucevic, Greg Munroe and Jahlil Okafor... all of which average double-doubles and all of which are in situations that we could probably get without sacrificing a key piece or a BK pick.

People are dumping on Munroe now, but I remember when there was a legitimate argument as to who would be better for Detroit to build around, him or Drummond. A solid double-double threat that shoots 70% from the line.
Jahlil Okafor is a one-dimensional player, no questions there... but that dimension is what we need when our star player is 5'9" and weigh about 160lbs and of the options he is still the only one with HOF upside in my opinion - but he needs a system and structure; we provide both. We wanted Kevin Love, he's one-dimensional, we want Nerlens Noel, he's one-dimensional, we want Andrew Bogut, he's one-dimensional.
Vucevic feels like the middle ground between the other options and is just a solid all-round player... that can comfortably hit mid-range shots.

Of course if we get Boogie, screw everything I just wrote

Vucevic is averaging a double double this season; Okafor and Monroe are not.

« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2017, 05:59:53 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
My two guys are Monroe and Vucevic.  I like both.  Both are playing well.  Both are putting up good numbers recently.  Monroe is at $17M this year, player option at about $18M next.  Vucevic is this season plus two more at about $12M so I guess Vucevic is the better contract but I would not mind two seasons of Monroe at those numbers (assuming he agrees to opt in).

The more interesting comparison is how differently each would be alongside Horford.  Monroe is a low post guy, putting Horford more out in the pick and pop mode.  Vucevic (who I admit I know less about) I understand is more of a mid-range and he would likely be the one out setting picks with Al more under the basket.  It might not be a bad thing for Al to focus more on the low block and see if his offensive rebounding would be any less offensive (yes, pun intended).

The low post guy can also be very effective setting off the ball picks which I bet Horford would be good at.  People tend to focus on the on ball pick and roll but picks off the ball are actually very important, they just go much more unnoticed and require more San Antonio type ball movement over one guy dribbling around.

« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2017, 06:25:25 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Noel all the way.
Ive never seen so many people wanting a stiff on their team.

Noel is 22 years old, and he has a 24 PER...

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2991280/nerlens-noel

« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2017, 06:32:58 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Noel all the way.
Ive never seen so many people wanting a stiff on their team.

Noel is 22 years old, and he has a 24 PER...

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2991280/nerlens-noel
he has played less than a 100 minutes this year.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2017, 07:17:22 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Do people realize Bogut has health concerns? He rarely ever gets through the playoffs. I'm shocked to see the poll results.

It's about cost-benefit.  Do you think any of the names on the list will be the last piece to winning a title?  I don't.  Accordingly I'll go with the cheapest one, so that we have a slightly better team.  I'm only counting on Bogut for 15 minutes a night, personally.  If he helps against some matchups where we'd get killed on the boards, and keeps Amir's minutes down so that he's fresher for the playoffs, that's good enough for me.

Why not trade for Noel? What are you saving the cap space for? Noel is better for now and long term.

Trading for Bogut doesn't stop us from pursuing Noel in the offseason. I would send Zeller and Young for Bogut in a heartbeat.

Yeah same, not sure that would get it done though. A team like Cavs could offer them a first round pick.

We could offer the Minnesota 2nd round pick, currently #36, which is pretty close to the value of the Cavs 1st rounder (currently #28).

Zeller + MIN 2nd probably gets this deal done.  If we could move Young or Demetrious Jackson or Mickey in order to reduce the roster cramp, that would be fine as well.

We have just the one first round pick (Nets swap) coming this next draft, but at the moment we also  have three 2nd round picks (MIN (36), LAC(55) & CLE(58) plus three stashed players (Yabusele, Zizic and Nader) all looming as possible roster adds for next year.

If Danny doesn't pull off a N-for-1 trade to reduce roster size or to unload some of those looming soon-to-be-rookies, we could end up with another very tight squeeze again.

Yes, I know Danny can alleviate roster space by letting Amir, Tyler, Kelly, Jonas and James all walk in free agency, but I don't think Brad would be happy about the idea of taking on 4-7 rookies all at once next year.   I don't think Danny lets that happen.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2017, 12:36:29 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
For those who don't think Cuban would move Bogut, Bogut gave an interview to Australian media yesterday that sounds like Bogut should be traded.

“Thankfully I’m a free agent here so I only have a couple of months more here and then will most likely move on,” Bogut said. “I don’t see myself hanging around with everything that’s gone on. It will be an interesting six months ahead.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/american-sports/nba/andrew-bogut-expects-to-be-traded-by-dallas-mavericks/news-story/817da1a1be084ce9d0bf4f789c313cff

« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2017, 07:49:18 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Nurkic posted 28 points 20 rebounds 8 assists and 6 blocks last night for the Blazers in what Philadelphia coach Terry Stotts called, "The most dominant interior performance against us all year."
Blazers have now won four in a row.

« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2017, 09:22:15 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
It would be hilarious if they beat out the Pelicans to the playoffs
Banner 18 please 😍