Poll

Which one of these players would you want the Celtics to acquire by the trade deadline?

Brook Lopez
Nerlens Noel
Andrew Bogut
Jusuf Nurkic
Omer Asik

Author Topic: Big men that are clearly available at this trade deadline  (Read 9570 times)

Re: Big men that are clearly available at this trade deadline
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2017, 11:05:56 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Bogut but cuban i don't think will throw in the towel on the season as long as dirk is around.

I think it depends how close they are to the playoffs. If at the trade deadline they are still7 or 8 games out I think they'll trade him. Zeller and lesser picks would be enough. They desperately lack young talent to complement Barnes and Matthews

They aren't seven games back now.  They are only four games out of the eighth spot.  Even last place Phoenix is only 4.5 games out.
It just depends if Cuban wants the 8 spot or rebuild. How Much is two playoffs home games worth to your budget. He was blessed with one Championship. But even a blind hog can find one acorn and I don't see them winning one without a high pick in this loaded draft.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2017, 11:08:38 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Do people realize Bogut has health concerns? He rarely ever gets through the playoffs. I'm shocked to see the poll results.

Nobody's perfect. Bogut's a cheap one-year stand. He'll only require a couple of drinks. Anything higher quality might want dinner.

Mike

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2017, 11:12:47 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Do people realize Bogut has health concerns? He rarely ever gets through the playoffs. I'm shocked to see the poll results.

It's about cost-benefit.  Do you think any of the names on the list will be the last piece to winning a title?  I don't.  Accordingly I'll go with the cheapest one, so that we have a slightly better team.  I'm only counting on Bogut for 15 minutes a night, personally.  If he helps against some matchups where we'd get killed on the boards, and keeps Amir's minutes down so that he's fresher for the playoffs, that's good enough for me.

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2017, 11:14:34 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
Double post.

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2017, 11:15:22 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
This is relevant to the conversation:

Andrew Bogut has embraced the role of coming off the bench for the Dallas Mavericks but he doesn't foresee himself with the franchise in the long-term.

"Thankfully I'm a free agent here so I only have a couple of months more here and then will most likely move on," Bogut said. "I don't see myself hanging around with everything that's gone on. It will be an interesting six months ahead."

When asked if he expects to be moved prior to the February 23 trade deadline, he acknowledged that he was "a valuable commodity" but "you never know."

Dallas acquired the expiring contract of Bogut from the Golden State Warriors in the 2016 offseason.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/244479/Andrew-Bogut-Doesnt-Expect-To-Remain-With-Mavs-Long-Term

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2017, 11:16:28 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

It's about cost-benefit.  Do you think any of the names on the list will be the last piece to winning a title?  I don't.  Accordingly I'll go with the cheapest one, so that we have a slightly better team.  I'm only counting on Bogut for 15 minutes a night, personally.  If he helps against some matchups where we'd get killed on the boards, and keeps Amir's minutes down so that he's fresher for the playoffs, that's good enough for me.

Why not trade for Noel? What are you saving the cap space for? Noel is better for now and long term.

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2017, 11:18:55 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Bogut but cuban i don't think will throw in the towel on the season as long as dirk is around.

I think it depends how close they are to the playoffs. If at the trade deadline they are still7 or 8 games out I think they'll trade him. Zeller and lesser picks would be enough. They desperately lack young talent to complement Barnes and Matthews

They aren't seven games back now.  They are only four games out of the eighth spot.  Even last place Phoenix is only 4.5 games out.
Yes but we've only played just over a third of the season. If the teams all win at their current paces then the Mavs would fall further back in terms of games behind. I guess I should have specified it as their winning percentage to be more clear

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2017, 11:20:41 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

What role would you ask him to play though? He'd probably come off the bench, or if he started he'd be limited to 20 mins per game. Plus we are suggesting getting him for Zeller so if he does get injured what are we really losing?

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2017, 11:20:52 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

It just depends if Cuban wants the 8 spot or rebuild. How Much is two playoffs home games worth to your budget. He was blessed with one Championship. But even a blind hog can find one acorn and I don't see them winning one without a high pick in this loaded draft.

Bogut will be gone.  The only way the Mavs make the playoffs is if Dirk has a little bit left in him.  But Bogut can't share the court with Dirk, who's lost enough mobility that he's only a 5 at this point too.  When the two have been on the court at the same time, the team is a -60 per 100 possessions.  Accordingly, the more Dirk plays, which is what they need in order to be a playoff team, the less Bogut can play. Trading him away isn't even about tanking -- I frankly think Tyler Zeller would be a better fit on the Mavs than Bogut.  Zeller has a chance to guard some (not all) 4's, and accordingly could probably be in the same lineups as Dirk occasionally.

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2017, 11:21:42 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum

Why not trade for Noel? What are you saving the cap space for? Noel is better for now and long term.

Trading for Bogut doesn't stop us from pursuing Noel in the offseason. I would send Zeller and Young for Bogut in a heartbeat.

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2017, 11:23:58 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

Trading for Bogut doesn't stop us from pursuing Noel in the offseason. I would send Zeller and Young for Bogut in a heartbeat.

Yeah same, not sure that would get it done though. A team like Cavs could offer them a first round pick.

« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2017, 11:24:40 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum

Yeah same, not sure that would get it done though. A team like Cavs could offer them a first round pick.

I mean, we could too. I just want to dump Young so we can call up Nader  :P

« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2017, 11:28:00 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Rather than looking at these guys in general terms, it might be better to consider the task at hand, which is getting past Toronto, Cleveland and GS. If you specifically match up against those teams, Noel would do the most good. Unfortunately, it looks like the C's have concerns about him.

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2017, 11:31:06 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I'm not anti-Noel, but I think Philly is asking too much, and they've made such a big deal out of it they might not lower their demands to something reasonable.  I honestly think Noel would have been already moved if they weren't overvaluing him.  My price for Noel is no more than Rozier and a lottery-protected 1st.  I wouldn't even give up the Memphis pick for him at this time.

For me it's less about cap space, and more about long-term salary obligations.  I haven't seen enough from Noel to be willing to break the bank for him, and yet I think he could get a big offer in free agency.  Matching a large offer could cost us a player I would prefer to keep the following summer.  I'm willing to let him walk, but that means I don't want to pay too much for him.

« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2017, 11:31:22 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

They'd have to match salary, though, which would require giving up either a good player or a few bad ones.  I can't see any real contending team making a deal like that from a salary perspective
I'm bitter.