Poll

Which one of these players would you want the Celtics to acquire by the trade deadline?

Brook Lopez
Nerlens Noel
Andrew Bogut
Jusuf Nurkic
Omer Asik

Author Topic: Big men that are clearly available at this trade deadline  (Read 9563 times)

Re: Big men that are clearly available at this trade deadline
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2017, 08:21:16 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I voted for Noel, but Nurkic may be the better offensive player?

All the others are vets who don't help the long-term, and certainly don't move the needle as far as beating Cleveland.

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 08:32:06 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
I'd rather acquire Monroe or Chandler of centers, but Millsap is the big man I'd go hardest after.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2017, 09:04:08 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
From those guys, it is definitely Nurkic.  While I (kind of) like Noel, his contract status is a problem.  The C's couldn't really hold onto him past this year while also using the cap space to upgrade another position.  And I just don't think he is good enough to warrant what he will most likely get paid.

Really though, the guy I want most is Okafor.  He would cost more than Noel, but I think there is a lot more potential there, and the contract makes more sense. 

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2017, 09:08:52 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
No interest in Lopez or Asik. Low interest in Bogut.

Good interest in Nurkic. High interest in Noel. Noel is the guy that I would be targeting. By far the best player in this bunch. Plus, like Nurkic, Noel is young and can be here for the next 8-10 years.

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2017, 09:17:55 AM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
What about Okafor?  I think he might be moved because supposedly Noel is a better fit with Embid.

I would take a flyer on him.

I didnt include him because he is not as clearly and easily available as the others from most reports.

I would be willing to bet Okafor is more available than Noel.  Noel hypothetical fits better next to Embiid than Okafor does. 

But I would be much less inclined to trade for Okafor. 

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2017, 09:20:23 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
From those guys, it is definitely Nurkic.  While I (kind of) like Noel, his contract status is a problem.  The C's couldn't really hold onto him past this year while also using the cap space to upgrade another position. And I just don't think he is good enough to warrant what he will most likely get paid.

Really though, the guy I want most is Okafor.  He would cost more than Noel, but I think there is a lot more potential there, and the contract makes more sense.
But wouldn't the C's retain his Bird Rights such that they could go over the cap to re-sign him?

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2017, 09:21:29 AM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Go Belichick and sign Larry Sanders.  What the heck.

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2017, 09:23:39 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

All the others are vets who don't help the long-term, and certainly don't move the needle as far as beating Cleveland.

His per 36 numbers are shockingly close to what Boogie Cousins was putting up at the same age

Per 36 numbers at age 22
               Pts    Reb   Ast  Stls  Blcks  To    PF     FG%
Cousins    20.1  11.7  3.1  1.7   0.9    3.5  4.2   .465
Nurkic      17.1  12.2  2.8  1.2   1.7    4.0  4.0   .537

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2017, 09:34:12 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

His per 36 numbers are shockingly close to what Boogie Cousins was putting up at the same age

Per 36 numbers at age 22

You should also include the minutes with this:
Boogie: 30.7 mpg
Nurkic: 19.7 mpg

It's nice that Nurkic is having a similar per-minute output to Cousins at that age, but that's a huge difference in minutes
I'm bitter.

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2017, 09:36:24 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
From those guys, it is definitely Nurkic.  While I (kind of) like Noel, his contract status is a problem.  The C's couldn't really hold onto him past this year while also using the cap space to upgrade another position. And I just don't think he is good enough to warrant what he will most likely get paid.

But wouldn't the C's retain his Bird Rights such that they could go over the cap to re-sign him?

Yes, but they would likely need to renounce him to get his cap hold off the books if they wanted a max FA (it depends on the FA, though)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2017, 09:48:47 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I'd voted for Bogut, I don't need him to do much, I need him to be what he was to GSW. The guy who just do all the dirty work, set hard hard picks, also very tough. An upgrade over Amir, and hopefully a player who can help Horford play the PF position (someone correct me if I am wrong but I think Horford once said he prefers playing the PF and not the C position).

I think he might come cheaper than the other players listed, without us giving up too much

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2017, 09:49:50 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

Per 36 numbers at age 22

You should also include the minutes with this:
Boogie: 30.7 mpg
Nurkic: 19.7 mpg

It's nice that Nurkic is having a similar per-minute output to Cousins at that age, but that's a huge difference in minutes

Sure, and for further context we should probably add in that the 2012-2013 Sacramento Kings went 28-54 with Boogie playing 30.7 minutes a night.  Tanking teams let their young players play... is that your point?

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2017, 09:58:14 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I'd like to know how we can acquire these guys without giving up a top asset?  Or better yet, how are you defining top asset?  Does this include crowder and Avery?

Because we ain't getting a lot of these guys with rozier and mid round picks.  Those assets are garbage.

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2017, 10:01:51 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Bogut is available, and I suspect, for cheap to Boston. He can be had for Zeller or less. His problem is age (32) and durability. He plugs up the middle, but is not a big minutes guy.
Frequently injured.

Ainge has to plot out a strategy here, and make up his mind on who is available and what he wants to give up. The better the player, the steeper the cost. Bogut is probably at the bottom of the list, but could be the one if he wants to hold onto those Nets picks and his core players. Maybe a stopgap until next season.

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2017, 10:06:39 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Yes, but they would likely need to renounce him to get his cap hold off the books if they wanted a max FA (it depends on the FA, though)

Right, and his cap hold will be about 10.75 million I believe.