Author Topic: Trade Idea: Blazers and OKC  (Read 1154 times)

Trade Idea: Blazers and OKC
« on: January 04, 2017, 07:46:01 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Not a Celtics trade, but watching the Thunder, I was trying to figure out how to improve their roster.

Harkless and Leonard for Kanter and Roberson

or

Crabbe for Kanter

This would give the Blazers more consistent scoring inside. I know it doesn't add defense, which is sorely needed, but I am big about doubling down on strengths. Kanter is great in the pick and roll, and so are Lillard and McCullom. Their scoring would be elite. If Aminu and Crabbe/Harkless can focus more on defense, this roster could be pretty dangerous offensively. Roberson is also one of the best defenders in the NBA, so maybe he starts too. Besides, a few years ago the Blazers offered the contract to Kanter that the Thunder matched.

This would give the Thunder a solid wing player who can play physically and shoot. I know they like Kanter's scoring off the bench, but he doesn't play in crunch time right now, and Harkless (or Crabbe) would play in crunch time. Both can shoot, which would stretch the floor way better than Roberson does. With Oladipo, Westbrook, Harkless, and Adams, their fourth could be a wing or a big, depending on how they want to play. Sabonis looks pretty good so far. so does Grant and Morrow. Laveurgne and Abrines give them good minutes too.

This trade just makes too much sense to me for both teams. Neither can probably beat the Warriors in a 7 game series, but the Blazers can score with them a little more and the Thunder could grind against them a little more.

Thoughts?

Re: Trade Idea: Blazers and OKC
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 02:02:38 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I think whatever move OKC makes absolutely has to include Roberson for a few reasons:

a) his lack of offensive growth. It was already a killer when KD was still around, but without him? Oh, man.
b) his role as a defensive stopper seems less necessary on a mediocre team that doesn't excel in either offense or defense. Like, the Thunder simply aren't *great* at anything. If they were great at scoring, but horrible in defense? Roberson would be extremely important. If they were great at defense, but horrible at scoring? Roberson would be less necessary, but he'd still play a key role in maintaining an elite defense. But they're just a good (not great and certainly not elite) defensive team with a mediocre offense. Is Roberson really the difference maker either way with such a team? You can pick up defense-only types off the scrap heap, if we're being entirely honest.
c) his contract situation. He's going to be a RFA this summer and I don't think it makes any sense for the Thunder to tie themselves to a contract with him unless they're planning on a major overhaul of the roster this summer, which doesn't seem particularly likely.
d) he's easily simultaneously their more plausible and most valuable trade asset. They're not trading Westbrook (... yet, at least, though I have my questions about exactly how long they'll keep that partnership going since I don't see a realistic path to contention while Westbrook is still an elite point guard) and you can't really trade Adams. I think Oladipo has shown quite a bit of promise and it's very un-Presti like to give up on a guy like Sabonis. That leaves Roberson as an elite defensive wing stopper that literally any decent team with a good offense would love to have.

Re: Trade Idea: Blazers and OKC
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 01:08:15 AM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Not a Celtics trade, but watching the Thunder, I was trying to figure out how to improve their roster.

Harkless and Leonard for Kanter and Roberson

or

Crabbe for Kanter

This would give the Blazers more consistent scoring inside. I know it doesn't add defense, which is sorely needed, but I am big about doubling down on strengths. Kanter is great in the pick and roll, and so are Lillard and McCullom. Their scoring would be elite. If Aminu and Crabbe/Harkless can focus more on defense, this roster could be pretty dangerous offensively. Roberson is also one of the best defenders in the NBA, so maybe he starts too. Besides, a few years ago the Blazers offered the contract to Kanter that the Thunder matched.

This would give the Thunder a solid wing player who can play physically and shoot. I know they like Kanter's scoring off the bench, but he doesn't play in crunch time right now, and Harkless (or Crabbe) would play in crunch time. Both can shoot, which would stretch the floor way better than Roberson does. With Oladipo, Westbrook, Harkless, and Adams, their fourth could be a wing or a big, depending on how they want to play. Sabonis looks pretty good so far. so does Grant and Morrow. Laveurgne and Abrines give them good minutes too.

This trade just makes too much sense to me for both teams. Neither can probably beat the Warriors in a 7 game series, but the Blazers can score with them a little more and the Thunder could grind against them a little more.

Thoughts?

as far as deals to make OKC better, don't sleep on them being a possible Milsap candidate.  Something like Kanter, Roberson, and a future pick for Milsap and Selfolosha.  Obv they'd have to attempt to sign him to a long term deal but OKC knows they're in desperation mode right now and needs to make their roster as attractive as possible to Westbrook.  I could see them going full 2006-08 Cavs and just mortgaging their entire future to placate their superstar enough to stay after his contract is up.