Author Topic: Rondo finished?  (Read 12751 times)

Re: Rondo finished?
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2017, 11:59:26 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Unquestionably the most overrated Celtic in the history of this blog.

Questionably the most hyperbolic statement on this blog.

Rondo was underrated, then properly rated. Some thought he was a top 3 pg in the league, but I would venture to say that most were right in assessing him as a top 10 pg (during his prime) who elevated his game in the playoffs. The Celtics didn't need him for a rebuild. Doesn't mean people have to remember him differently than what he was- a very good player for the Celtics.

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2017, 02:09:35 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
IMHO he was "finished" in the year of 2014
i loved this guy as a part of the celtics contender team, but as his ego evolved and outgrew himself, he became a guy you love to root against, and a guy you do not want anywhere near your team.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2017, 07:26:55 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
As a player he is about cooked .  His effort and mindset is strange .   

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2017, 07:41:45 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Rondo was underrated, then properly rated. Some thought he was a top 3 pg in the league, but I would venture to say that most were right in assessing him as a top 10 pg (during his prime) who elevated his game in the playoffs. The Celtics didn't need him for a rebuild. Doesn't mean people have to remember him differently than what he was- a very good player for the Celtics.
Sounds right.  He was the starting PG on a championship team, so there's that.  8)

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2017, 07:42:20 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Can't think of a single team who would deal for him.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2017, 08:34:15 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Easily. 

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2017, 09:22:17 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Is there a league for Connect Four? 

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2017, 10:03:16 AM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52

Bo don't know.

« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2017, 11:21:31 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Yeah, I think sometimes here people revise not only the opinions they held themselves in the past, but the opinions others had. A lot of people seem to want to stake out these lines in the sand these days and draw bright lines about things. I don't know whether it's for effect, or to stir things up, or some other reason. It draws down the quality of discussion, that's for sure. A one-sentence, hyperbolic opinion stated as incontrovertible fact doesn't do a whole lot to move things forward.

Not to say Rondo wasn't "overrated" but I would label it as part of the normal affection any fan base has for one of its own. I mean, Orien Greene was pretty overrated too at one point. And I'm guessing Larry Bird places significantly higher on all-time great lists here than elsewhere.

Anyway I think another issue with Rondo is that the game passed him by while his skills were declining too. He would have been a better point guard 20 years ago, I think. But floor spacing is so important now. It must be frustrating for him.

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2017, 10:11:09 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
The Rondo of 2008 was a young man, a rookie who could be somewhat shaped and directed. He was on a team with 3 legendary players, heading for a championship. IMO he was much more open to coaching at that time. He bent to the play of these 3 much more experienced players. 

As time went on and the big 3 began to age, and Danny handed the keys to the team to Rondo, "It's his team now" said Danny. From that point on Rondo turned into a director, and not a player. His style of basketball is overly controlling, slow and dated. 

After signing with the Bulls Rondo stated "a lot of these guys have never played with a point guard like me."
He was correct, and they don't like it.   

« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2017, 05:31:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18407165/rajon-rondo-says-get-clear-cut-message-status-meeting-chicago-bulls-execs

Looks like Rondos days as a Bull is finished quicker than I thought

I cant see anyone trading for him

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2017, 05:49:32 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
So talented yet so flawed.  The Rondo Saga continues.  This should be no surprise to any long time Celtics fans who got to watch him play every game.

« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2017, 06:26:34 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
As a player he is about cooked .  His effort and mindset is strange .

You nailed it those 2 things have been his biggest issues since he was drafted..he takes games, off, seasons off until playoffs, and just has a different mind than most..Totally the mind of a tortured artist.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2017, 09:39:20 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Rondo reportedly had interest in the Nets as well during this past off-season. Maybe Brooklyn will be another landing spot for him?

« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2017, 09:42:18 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
Rondo reportedly had interest in the Nets as well during this past off-season. Maybe Brooklyn will be another landing spot for him?

That would be great. It would lock up the worst record in the league for them.  At this point though, I don't think the Nets want him either. They are better off with Lin, Whitehead and Levert getting minutes.