Author Topic: Rondo finished?  (Read 12749 times)

Re: Rondo finished?
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2016, 09:15:54 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
In a way, it's a shame. A lot of talent there.

But nothing between the ears to develop it. Rondo's biggest enemy is himself.

If you can't get along with the Mayor, you can't get along with anyone.
I think I know what you mean, but you said it poorly.  Rondo is one of the smartest players in the NBA.

Hardly.

His failure to adapt to a team game is costing him his career.

Calling him one of the smartest players in the league is laughable. He could have been a superstar, had he been invested enough to improve his substantial flaws and adapt his game to a team concept. Instead, he devolved into a petulant egomaniac.

I'd hardly call that smart.

Rondo is certainly intelligent, too intelligent for his own good in the NBA. He's also too stubborn.
This, TP.  Not sure what is 'laughable', Coach Bo.  I am in no way confusing intelligence for wisdom, and you should not either.

I'm not. You are.

I should know by now this blog will never stop romanticizing a guy who failed - entirely - to reach his potential in the NBA.

This is pretty much revisionist theory and completely false.  The Rajon Rondo that was here from 2008-2012 was pretty much a guy who was maximizing his potential more every year.  The guy was never a good shooter, but still managed to be the one player on our team that other teams needed to game plan for.  Yeah Rondo is a shell of his former self at this point.  Probably resulting from a combination of the acl injury and diminished altheticism along with his stubborn attitude. 

Just because 2016-2017 Rondo is on the downside of his career in no way whatsoever changes what he did here from 2008-2012.  Did some of us forget what he brought to the team?  Why don't you ask KG and PP if they thought Rondo completely failed to reach his potential?  Sometimes this disdain for former celtics is way misguided.

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2016, 11:12:21 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Well, can't blame this one on Rondo.....

...but Hoiberg has keenly created a diversion of "Rondo benching" to buy himself more time as the Chicago Bulls coach.

The sharp eye sees who the problem is here.

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2016, 11:14:56 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

...but Hoiberg has keenly created a diversion of "Rondo benching" to buy himself more time as the Chicago Bulls coach.

This is insightful.

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2016, 11:18:05 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703

I think I know what you mean, but you said it poorly.  Rondo is one of the smartest players in the NBA.

Hardly.

Calling him one of the smartest players in the league is laughable. He could have been a superstar, had he been invested enough to improve his substantial flaws and adapt his game to a team concept. Instead, he devolved into a petulant egomaniac.

Rondo is certainly intelligent, too intelligent for his own good in the NBA. He's also too stubborn.
This, TP.  Not sure what is 'laughable', Coach Bo.  I am in no way confusing intelligence for wisdom, and you should not either.

I'm not. You are.

I should know by now this blog will never stop romanticizing a guy who failed - entirely - to reach his potential in the NBA.

This is pretty much revisionist theory and completely false.  The Rajon Rondo that was here from 2008-2012 was pretty much a guy who was maximizing his potential more every year.  The guy was never a good shooter, but still managed to be the one player on our team that other teams needed to game plan for.  Yeah Rondo is a shell of his former self at this point.  Probably resulting from a combination of the acl injury and diminished altheticism along with his stubborn attitude. 

Just because 2016-2017 Rondo is on the downside of his career in no way whatsoever changes what he did here from 2008-2012.  Did some of us forget what he brought to the team?  Why don't you ask KG and PP if they thought Rondo completely failed to reach his potential?  Sometimes this disdain for former celtics is way misguided.

Yeah, Rondo imo is a guy who exceeded his potential when he was a Celtic. A guy drafted late in the 1st round with poor shooting skills and several question marks on his game was thrown into a situation where he was relied on as the starting PG on a team of 3 all-stars who needed his contribution to have a chance at a title. He more than got the job done, showed incredible poise, competitiveness, athleticism, and knowledge of the game at that age. He then reached another level as the big three declined. At one point in the Heat series he was the best player on the floor in a game that included Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Pierce, and Ray Allen. He was an all-star. That was far beyond any expectations anyone could have had for him. The acl injury then robbed him of his speed , and together with his stubbornness , he declined. He's 30 years old now after acl surgery too. Some things are just out of his control. He's made more money and had a better career than anyone could have imagined when he was drafted. Would you say someone like Bosh never reached his potential either?

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2016, 11:20:22 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Rondo needed Ray.  :'(
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2017, 12:11:02 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176

Yeah, Hoiberg stinks. They should trade Butler!

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2017, 05:47:13 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Well Chicago just lost against Milwaukee without Rondo.

They started with MCW who recorded 4 points and 4 assists in 25 minutes with a plus-minus of -12.
His backup, Jerian Grant, managed to score 5 points and dish out 1 assist in 18 minutes with a plus-minus of -9.

Doesn't seem to me that any of the two guys are better than Rondo.

Maybe the real problem is with Fred Hoiberg, who seems to be a terrible coach, and not Rondo.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2017, 06:55:06 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72

Hardly.

I'm not. You are.

But BOY he approached that potential in GREEN - especially from 2010-12.

He did not fail entirely. He FIT - in Green - maybe TOO well.

He fit just the role that Glenn Doc Rivers had for him - around Three Divas.

So glad he was our PG and I'll never forget his time in BOS.

Maybe you do not mean it but you just called Paul Pierce, Garnett , and Ray Allen "Divas"

And this, with Rondo in the same breath.

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2017, 03:47:09 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
Rondo has been washed up since his knee injury. Full stop.

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2017, 04:02:53 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Unquestionably the most overrated Celtic in the history of this blog.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2017, 04:05:35 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703

Why all the Rondo hate? You can't deny how well he played for us in the big 3 era.

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2017, 04:23:05 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Hardly.

I'm not. You are.

Maybe you do not mean it but you just called Paul Pierce, Garnett , and Ray Allen "Divas"

Rondo is the biggest Diva of the bunch. In fact, hes probably the only diva of the bunch.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2017, 04:29:26 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Hardly.

I'm not. You are.

Admittedly I should've used a better word, but there's no denying that Rondo had some considerable challenges keeping ALL THREE happy....and did this as 21YO 2nd year PG in winning Banner 17.

He did well in helping to contribute to 07-08 and trended upward the next several years.

« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2017, 05:57:11 PM »

Offline Pvictor11

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 62
I sincerely hope he is not finished. Since I've been following the nba he is my favourite player to watch. I loved him when he was playing for us and I still follow his games to see his production.
Even with flaws in his game, specially in the modern nba, he managed to play in an awesome level. He was an elite PG despite not been able to shoot from distance. Every opponent he faced knew he couldn't shoot and knew he would want to penetrante, but he still torched a lot of games.
I think his career could have been a little better, maybe with one more title and a few more all stars appearences, because he is a very talented and intelligent bball player, but I think he's having an amazing career so far. A career he should be proud about. I am very thankful for what he did for the celtics and I can certainly say that his style of play played a big part on me becoming a Celtic fan for almost 10 years.
So, I thank you Rondo for the moments of joy you gave me and for being a big reason to the birth of a brazilian celtic fan! I hope you find a good place to play and wish you well.
Brazilian Celtic Fan!

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2017, 10:45:47 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

You act like your spouse cheated on you with rondo. He was mostly a really good player when he was here and he has been
Gone many years. Whatever your issue is with him let it go.