Author Topic: Rondo finished?  (Read 12750 times)

Re: Rondo finished?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2016, 02:57:41 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think the best measure of his current value is from this question: Would you want Rondo back on the Celtics on a vet min deal if he were to get waived? No.

I don't see that happening, but if it did, I would totally trust Brad and Danny's decision on that one.  If he really burned all his bridges to Boston, then that tells you everything.  But unless he'd destroy the locker room, he's a better use of a roster space than James Young, and he'd still likely be a better backup PG than Rozier this season, who could hopefully be traded for a big.

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2016, 03:02:18 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I agree that he isn't the same player as he once were. It seems like he never really recovered from the ACL tear that he suffered some years ago. With that being said I still don't think that this is going to be Rondo's last contract in the NBA. I could envision him playing for a bad team like Philly who really needs a player at the point guard position.

The 2017 draft is loaded with PGs at the top, Phili will get their guy. Also, what can Rondo offer now that Sergio Rodriguez doesnt give them for less money and no attitude?

Brooklyn Nets

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2016, 03:05:05 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
In a way, it's a shame. A lot of talent there.

But nothing between the ears to develop it. Rondo's biggest enemy is himself.

If you can't get along with the Mayor, you can't get along with anyone.
I think I know what you mean, but you said it poorly.  Rondo is one of the smartest players in the NBA.

Hardly.

His failure to adapt to a team game is costing him his career.

Calling him one of the smartest players in the league is laughable. He could have been a superstar, had he been invested enough to improve his substantial flaws and adapt his game to a team concept. Instead, he devolved into a petulant egomaniac.

I'd hardly call that smart.

"Inadvisable" maybe?  "Not smart" suggests he doesn't have the wherewithal to do these things, and I don't think that's true.
Yup

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2016, 03:09:08 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Rondo is extremely intelligent. He just has a horrible personality that hurts his career. Many people undermine their own success with such behavior. It is his choice. Only a desperate team should consider him.

No one should be fooled into thinking being a backup would make things better. It wouldn't. His personality would still be disruptive and antagonistic.

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2016, 03:23:16 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703

I think I know what you mean, but you said it poorly.  Rondo is one of the smartest players in the NBA.

Hardly.

Calling him one of the smartest players in the league is laughable. He could have been a superstar, had he been invested enough to improve his substantial flaws and adapt his game to a team concept. Instead, he devolved into a petulant egomaniac.

Rondo is certainly intelligent, too intelligent for his own good in the NBA. He's also too stubborn.

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2016, 03:32:15 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Hardly.

Rondo is certainly intelligent, too intelligent for his own good in the NBA. He's also too stubborn.
This, TP.  Not sure what is 'laughable', Coach Bo.  I am in no way confusing intelligence for wisdom, and you should not either.

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2016, 03:43:15 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
The interesting thing with Rondo being benched is it is occurring right around the same time as an ESPN article on none other than Fred Hoiberg being on the Hot Seat...

http://www.espn.com/blog/chicago-bulls/post/_/id/23864/23864

I'm very unsure of what's going on in the Bulls locker room...maybe Rondo is pushing his teammates too hard...maybe he's ruffling feathers....he holds very little back as a player and that can ruffle teammates AND coaches.

I know he's been suspended just a few weeks ago for getting into it with an assistant, which was a bad move for him. He's apologized for it and seemed to have moved on, though.

It is one thing to not have Rondo (allegedly) engaged....it is another thing to be setting him up as a scapegoat to the Chicago Bulls underperforming.

Just stay classy, Rondo.

Just my two cents...and YES I am an unapologetic Rajon Rondo supporter. I know he's not perfect but boy he's given me (and others here I'm sure) some GREAT memories in Green.

For ME - you do well in GREEN and it's set in stone. And did well he did, even with his flaws.

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2016, 03:49:31 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Hardly.

This, TP.  Not sure what is 'laughable', Coach Bo.  I am in no way confusing intelligence for wisdom, and you should not either.

I'm not. You are.

I should know by now this blog will never stop romanticizing a guy who failed - entirely - to reach his potential in the NBA.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2016, 03:56:34 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Hardly.

I'm not. You are.

I should know by now this blog will never stop romanticizing a guy who failed - entirely - to reach his potential in the NBA.

But BOY he approached that potential in GREEN - especially from 2010-12.

He did not fail entirely. He FIT - in Green - maybe TOO well.

He fit just the role that Glenn Doc Rivers had for him - around Three Divas.

So glad he was our PG and I'll never forget his time in BOS.

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2016, 04:16:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm not surprised.

At this point I think Rondos best chance to stay in the league is to catch on as a chance of pace backup for a playoff team with a terrible second unit. Somebody like the Wizards or the Pistons.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2016, 04:50:09 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
The interesting thing with Rondo being benched is it is occurring right around the same time as an ESPN article on none other than Fred Hoiberg being on the Hot Seat...

http://www.espn.com/blog/chicago-bulls/post/_/id/23864/23864

I'm very unsure of what's going on in the Bulls locker room...maybe Rondo is pushing his teammates too hard...maybe he's ruffling feathers....he holds very little back as a player and that can ruffle teammates AND coaches.

Hoiberg had locker room problems last year as well, didn't he?

The Bulls underachieved last year and look like they may be falling apart now.

Not an impressive start to his NBA coaching career.

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2016, 08:35:25 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
Half way through the third quarter and Rondo hasn't played a minute.

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2016, 08:50:30 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
He sounds like a guy who made his money, won his ring, and has mentally checked out. His attitude has always been a problem everywhere. Combine that with the speed he lost after his ACL tear, and the change in the NBA game the last few years, he knows the writing on the wall.

This has a lot more to do with his decline than anything mental/attitude related.

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2016, 09:07:48 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Hardly.

I'm not. You are.

So he entirely missed his potential Coach?  Please, illuminate us with your coaching knowledge.  He was an an All-Star (4x), All-NBA defense (4x), won an NBA championship, lead the league in assists multiple times, and is 12th all-time in career triple-doubles in the NBA.

The guy blew out his leg.  He has never been the same since.  Most people would know this type of sever injury slows down any player, especially an athlete like Rondo, but I guess a coach with your experience/knowledge/winning pedigree knows otherwise, and it is because he is not a smart or team player.

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2016, 09:12:27 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
My wife was watching Bull game few nights ago with me .   She turns and says ......she is a professional PT ....Rondo does not look the same .  He has lost a lot of muscle mass from his Celtic glory days .