Author Topic: Rondo finished?  (Read 12739 times)

Rondo finished?
« on: December 31, 2016, 12:27:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Im sure everyone has heard what happened yesterday (benched in the 2nd half). Bulls coach likes what he sees from MCW and Grant

And Rondo sounded like he didnt even care (not what one would expect)

He still has another season left in his contract but it looks like he might be riding the bench collecting his last paycheques or waived.  Certaintly be his last contract in the NBA

Didnt Rondo have an extension offer he rejected before Danny traded him? I wonder if he regrets not taking it.  Still after next seasons contract he would have accumulated 95 million dollars in career earnings. Not too shabby

Re: Rondo finished?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 12:29:05 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
In a way, it's a shame. A lot of talent there.

But nothing between the ears to develop it. Rondo's biggest enemy is himself.

If you can't get along with the Mayor, you can't get along with anyone.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 12:39:32 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
He sounds like a guy who made his money, won his ring, and has mentally checked out. His attitude has always been a problem everywhere. Combine that with the speed he lost after his ACL tear, and the change in the NBA game the last few years, he knows the writing on the wall.

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 12:45:58 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I think I know what you mean, but you said it poorly.  Rondo is one of the smartest players in the NBA.

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 12:49:09 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Im sure everyone has heard what happened yesterday (benched in the 2nd half). Bulls coach likes what he sees from MCW and Grant

And Rondo sounded like he didnt even care (not what one would expect)

He still has another season left in his contract but it looks like he might be riding the bench collecting his last paycheques or waived.  Certaintly be his last contract in the NBA

Didnt Rondo have an extension offer he rejected before Danny traded him? I wonder if he regrets not taking it.  Still after next seasons contract he would have accumulated 95 million dollars in career earnings. Not too shabby

i believe its only partially guaranteed, and I assume it was for just this reason. 

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 01:07:38 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
He sounds like a guy who made his money, won his ring, and has mentally checked out...  ...he knows the writing is on the wall.

I think this might very well be true.

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 01:19:39 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
I agree that he isn't the same player as he once were. It seems like he never really recovered from the ACL tear that he suffered some years ago. With that being said I still don't think that this is going to be Rondo's last contract in the NBA. I could envision him playing for a bad team like Philly who really needs a player at the point guard position.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 01:24:22 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
I agree that he isn't the same player as he once were. It seems like he never really recovered from the ACL tear that he suffered some years ago. With that being said I still don't think that this is going to be Rondo's last contract in the NBA. I could envision him playing for a bad team like Philly who really needs a player at the point guard position.

The 2017 draft is loaded with PGs at the top, Phili will get their guy. Also, what can Rondo offer now that Sergio Rodriguez doesnt give them for less money and no attitude?

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 01:29:40 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
His days as a starting PG are coming to an end.

I'd like to see Bird make a move in FA this summer to bring Rondo to Indiana. Go with a 1-2 punch at PG of Teague & Rondo. Rondo could be interesting on that team with the shooting they have + having Teague there already (if they resign him) offsets some of the risk Rondo brings with him if Rondo starts kicking up a fuss.

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 01:35:02 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
His days as a starting PG are coming to an end.

I'd like to see Bird make a move in FA this summer to bring Rondo to Indiana. Go with a 1-2 punch at PG of Teague & Rondo. Rondo could be interesting on that team with the shooting they have + having Teague there already (if they resign him) offsets some of the risk Rondo brings with him if Rondo starts kicking up a fuss.

I mean, if Rondo is willing to take a backup role for minimal money I can see him staying in the NBA.  I don't know if his ego will allow that.  The again, having to go overseas is a hit to the ego also.

I think Rondo will chase the money overseas.  China seems like the perfect place.

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 01:50:46 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
I think the best measure of his current value is from this question: Would you want Rondo back on the Celtics on a vet min deal if he were to get waived? No.

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 01:51:35 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I was always a big rondo supporter.  I however agree his starting days are coming to an end.  For all his bb iq and tenacity I cannot believe he never improved his game where needed.  His outside shooting and free throws have never really improved while the pg position is easily the strongest in nba.  Too many guys have passed him. 

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 02:41:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I was always a big rondo supporter.  I however agree his starting days are coming to an end.  For all his bb iq and tenacity I cannot believe he never improved his game where needed.  His outside shooting and free throws have never really improved while the pg position is easily the strongest in nba.  Too many guys have passed him.

I agree. But you know I think he genuinely tried. Practiced countless hours but still couldnt get it straight

If he had a shot he could rely on or even make when open, he wouldnt have to run around so much and probably play better defense(prevent possible injury). In any case cant discount what he did for the Celts

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 02:52:21 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Rondo should try to transition to a coaching career. I think he'd make a great coach.

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2016, 02:54:37 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

I think I know what you mean, but you said it poorly.  Rondo is one of the smartest players in the NBA.

Hardly.

His failure to adapt to a team game is costing him his career.

Calling him one of the smartest players in the league is laughable. He could have been a superstar, had he been invested enough to improve his substantial flaws and adapt his game to a team concept. Instead, he devolved into a petulant egomaniac.

I'd hardly call that smart.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."