Author Topic: Trouble brewing in Indiana with Paul George?  (Read 4787 times)

Trouble brewing in Indiana with Paul George?
« on: December 30, 2016, 06:14:47 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Is there trouble brewing in the Pacers locker room? George expressing some discontent:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/paul-george-has-been-bummed-about-showing-up-for-work-on-the-pacers-170238894.html

And this is while the Bulls have come back from a 12 point deficit in the 4th in Indiana to tie the game. Would be another devastating loss for the Pacers and George.

You have to think that this concerns Larry Bird with his limited ability to better this team this summer, along with the fact that George is a free agent in 2018 that is likely to bolt at this pace. Even though he's reportedly rebuffed trade requests for George so far, if they don't get better, I could very well see Danny enticing Bird with a package built around Brown and the Brooklyn pick for George either at the deadline, or more likely, the draft.

Re: Trouble brewing in Indiana with Paul George?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 06:38:05 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
George is a smart guy, he must realize sooner or later that the Pacers dont have many options for improving that roster.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 06:41:15 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Yeah, PG13 is gone in 2018. Bird should trade him now.

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 07:04:08 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Yeah, realistically I don't see how they can improve hardly at all this summer, and they shot themselves in the foot by replacing Vogel with NM. And after watching Durant leave this summer for nothing, I think Bird makes the right play and traded him by the draft.

Don't sleep on a Butler trade either. They're not in a much better position, and Butler has a rocky relationship with their front office already, which has had them shop him around already last summer.

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 07:19:23 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I feel like we have a shot at getting one of PG or Butler.

Unfortunately PG's contract doesn't expire for another 2.5 seasons- that's a lot of time for a master like Bird to swing things around.

The good news is that both franchises are slightly dysfunctional on the court at the moment.
Did anyone see Rondo sleeping on the bench when Butler single handedly brought them back for the win vs the Nets?

I'd probably prefer Butler over PG at the moment.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 07:26:47 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=88303.0

I wrote this post some days ago. You guys think PG13 could make us a legit contender IF we did get him? How about Jimmy Butler?

Price may be high for either but probably "at minimum" Nets Pick + Bradley/Crowder (only one) and filler/future picks. I don't think it's worth it but lots of people here say it is.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 07:26:54 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Yeah, realistically I don't see how they can improve hardly at all this summer, and they shot themselves in the foot by replacing Vogel with NM. And after watching Durant leave this summer for nothing, I think Bird makes the right play and traded him by the draft.

Don't sleep on a Butler trade either. They're not in a much better position, and Butler has a rocky relationship with their front office already, which has had them shop him around already last summer.

I agree, and I dont see how they can reasonably sell George on a plan to build a contender in the next few years either. They dont have any good options to acquire more star players. Bird is not the type to BS his guys either. I think their only other option is to trade Myles Turner to get help for George, but who can they reasonably get that's worth moving Turner and good enough to help them contend?

Bird went for it with acquiring Teague, Big Al, and Thad Young and replacing the coach. it just didnt work out.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 07:34:12 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 07:30:25 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

I wrote this post some days ago. You guys think PG13 could make us a legit contender IF we did get him? How about Jimmy Butler?

Price may be high for either but probably "at minimum" Nets Pick + Bradley/Crowder (only one) and filler/future picks. I don't think it's worth it but lots of people here say it is.

I'd give up picks and prospects to get one of them , but no way would I move any of core guys like Bradley or Crowder. Those two are perfect 6th men on a contender.

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 07:33:13 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I'd give up picks and prospects to get one of them , but no way would I move any of core guys like Bradley or Crowder. Those two are perfect 6th men on a contender.

I sadly think that either would have to be included, OR Marcus Smart.

Very hesitant to do that as well. But Indiana OR Chicago likely dictate the price and want one young player.

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 07:35:47 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

I sadly think that either would have to be included, OR Marcus Smart.

Very hesitant to do that as well. But Indiana OR Chicago likely dictate the price and want one young player.

For Cousins I would move Smart or Bradley or Crowder, but for George or Butler I'd give up both Nets picks plus Rozier and Zizic/Yabusele and Mickey. That or 1 Nets pick plus Brown.

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 07:37:58 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Unfortunately PG's contract doesn't expire for another 2.5 seasons- that's a lot of time for a master like Bird to swing things around.

The good news is that both franchises are slightly dysfunctional on the court at the moment.
Did anyone see Rondo sleeping on the bench when Butler single handedly brought them back for the win vs the Nets?

It's a good thing PG's contract doesn't expire for a bit.  The only way we're getting him is via a trade.  After this summer, we won't have cap room for a couple of decades again, I'd bet.  So if a trade can be swung for him, he'd be here long enough to not need to run away in free agency.

Brown + Zeller and Young for salary purposes, and both Brooklyn picks.  Come on Danny!

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 07:54:53 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

It's a good thing PG's contract doesn't expire for a bit.  The only way we're getting him is via a trade.  After this summer, we won't have cap room for a couple of decades again, I'd bet.  So if a trade can be swung for him, he'd be here long enough to not need to run away in free agency.

Brown + Zeller and Young for salary purposes, and both Brooklyn picks.  Come on Danny!

Oh man, that's a tough price to swallow.

I truthfully don't think PG13 makes us a legitimate contender.

To give up both BKN picks and Brown + salary filler for him. Yikes. I know that's the price but for someone who I view doesn't thread the needle for us.. I don't know. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I just don't see PG13 as "that guy" who makes us a legitimate contender.

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 08:30:13 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Actually, George's last year in 2018-2019 is a player option, which I would assume he opts out of to get a long-term deal. So after next season he'll more than likely be a free agent, which is the same as Cousins' timeline.

I think that actually helps us, because Bird doesn't have that extra year to sell George on building around him. I expect him to be traded at or before the draft, and Bird's relationship with Danny should help us out tremendously.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/indiana_pacers/

http://hoopshype.com/player/paul-george/salary/

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 08:32:01 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Actually, George's last year in 2018-2019 is a player option, which I would assume he opts out of to get a long-term deal. So after next season he'll more than likely be a free agent, which is the same as Cousins' timeline.

I think that actually helps us, because Bird doesn't have that extra year to sell George on building around him. I expect him to be traded at or before the draft, and Bird's relationship with Danny should help us out tremendously.

Larry Bird has been extremely adamant that he will not trade PG13. That could change by next summer, but I highly doubt he changes his stance unless the Pacers are absolutely horrible the next few months. Even then, not many teams would give up a ton for essentially a one year rental.

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 08:34:30 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Larry Bird has been extremely adamant that he will not trade PG13. That could change by next summer, but I highly doubt he changes his stance unless the Pacers are absolutely horrible the next few months. Even then, not many teams would give up a ton for essentially a one year rental.

Yeah, he's been adamant now since it's still early in the season, but if they don't improve that will change by the draft, especially if we're dangling a top-3 pick for George in a loaded draft. They simply have no realistic route to seriously upgrade that team this summer.