Author Topic: Which realistic big would help this team the most? What would you give up?  (Read 3980 times)

Re: Which realistic big would help this team the most? What would you give up?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 12:06:06 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
What makes you categorize Noel as productive? He is an offensive liability and is injury prone.

Defensive and rebounding.  Productive in both. We don't need a scoring center.

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2016, 12:07:43 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I don't want Ibaka, he is too old. We have to look toward competing over the next 5-10 years, not the next 1-2 years.  Our Brooklyn stash affords us the luxury of long term planning while competing short-term, and building a winning culture in the interim.

Have you bought into the idea that Ibaka is much older than his listed age?  Because officially, he just turned 27.  He's only two years older than Kelly O.

My bad. I thought he was 3 years older than that. He seems to have aged a lot the last couple of years. THanks for pointing this out.

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2016, 12:09:27 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Ibaka isn't available.  They gave up a ton to get him and both the player and team have said they want him to stay there.   Plus even if you've got a slight chance to get him don't offer garbage packages...

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2016, 12:09:48 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Noel will command at least $10m per annum in FA. I'm not interested in that.

Why?  Who else would we spend that money on?  There aren't other bigs available for that kind of money.  Amir and Zeller combined make that.  Wouldn't it make sense to consolidate those two guys into one productive guy like Noel?

We'll need every dime to extend Demarcus Cousins to the supermax deal

Guy, this is not happening.  Sacramento is not going to trade their one, true superstar and best player at his position.  Not right now when they are on the upswing and potentially getting in the playoffs.  Why would they do this trade?  It would be monumentally stupid.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 01:58:09 PM by MetroGlobe »

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2016, 12:25:19 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I disagree about sacramentos outlook. They need to reset altogether and Cousins is the one asset which could fuel that.

On Ibaka, I agree. Orlando muffed up by trading Oladipo and isn't going to flip the return they got for him that quickly. At least I don't think they will.

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2016, 12:30:09 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Serge Ibaka!!

I thought about this for a while and I think Ibaka would be the perfect fit for this team without changing too much oir way of playing or costing too much (unlike nurkic) or affecting our cap long term (unlike monroe)...
He is so perfect for Brad Steven's system and could be great next to horford!!

Defense:
He is a great shoot blocker (unlike monroe)
Can switch to smaller guys (unlike bogut)
Can board better than any of our current bigs
Can switch with horFord on 4/5 like Amir...
Would make us a terror on D.

Offense:
Can post up
Can shoot the midrange
Can be relied upon in crunch time (couple of game winners already for the magic)
But most importantly Can knockdown 3s and open the lane for IT (unlike all these other bigs we are talking about!) This is so crucial for Brad Steven system and IT!

Cost:
Magic being out of the playoff picture and Ibaka being free to choose whichever playoff teams he wants in the summer, Orlando would be wise to get something for him and avoid losing him for nothing after giving away Oladipo! I offer them  Zeller+Mickey (or just amir) to match salaries plus 1 non BKN 1St rd pick , plus 2 second Rd picks...

If we can then get Gordon Hayward to join his old coach and be our 2nd offensive weapon, go to scorer with size in money time,  I would go to war with a team like this while waiting to cash on my BKN Nets picks!!

Thomas Rozier Jackson
Bradley Smart Green
Hayward Crowder Brown
Ibaka Jerebko Nader
Horford Olynyk Zizic

Can the Celtics even afford BOTH Ibaka and Hayward (Ibaka is also a FA after this season).

Then there's the conundrum of who to keep between IT/Bradley/Smart in 2 summers...

Yeah, I love the idea of Ibaka but I don't know what he'll cost to keep here. It's a similar deal with Noel, in that we can trade for them now but then we'll have to resign them. In that case, I would actually rather Noel - out of the two, he's the one whose value may actually increase after signing a decent contract. Still Ibaka is definitely an intriguing thought.

Bogut is also a guy I think would help immediately but doesn't promise anything past this season, given his age and injury history.

The other guy who doesn't really follow what we've been talking about but whom I suspect Danny is intrigued by is Jahlil Okafor. I know, I know. But if you're Philly, I think it makes more sense to keep Noel than Okafor (though I might move both anyway). Okafor and Embiid really can't play together at all. Noel and Embiid probably complement each other better. And there's this: Okafor might actually be the one potentially blue-chip (or at least, like, turquoise-chip??) guy we could get for pennies on the dollar. He has numerous deficiencies but also still a high ceiling and the potential to develop quite a bit on the defensive end. He has the size, athleticism and hands to be a very good rebounder if developed correctly.

Feel free to crush me for that, but I do think Ainge is probably higher on him than many of the fans are. Not saying I'd be jumping for joy.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016, 12:33:49 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I don't want Ibaka, he is too old. We have to look toward competing over the next 5-10 years, not the next 1-2 years.  Our Brooklyn stash affords us the luxury of long term planning while competing short-term, and building a winning culture in the interim.

Have you bought into the idea that Ibaka is much older than his listed age?  Because officially, he just turned 27.  He's only two years older than Kelly O.

My bad. I thought he was 3 years older than that. He seems to have aged a lot the last couple of years. THanks for pointing this out.
Well, Ibaka isn't solving our rebounding issues. You're basically adding Horford v2.0 in that department.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2016, 12:33:53 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
All of these options are just blah for me. Anything which commits us after this season is unattractive to me. We know we need help right now. But I'm looking for rental not long term asset.

I don't get why Mickey hasn't gotten any minutes. He could help in the paint. Olynyk is horrible.

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2016, 12:50:06 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I don't get why Mickey hasn't gotten any minutes. He could help in the paint. Olynyk is horrible.
Mickey is worse than Olynyk and I'm not sure how you think he can help in the paint.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2016, 12:53:12 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
Mickey is good for a block or 2. Olynyk is a stiff. Horrible player.

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2016, 12:54:14 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Mickey is worse than Olynyk and I'm not sure how you think he can help in the paint.

Kelly has helped provide some offense, but I cringe when he plays defense. It's an issue. Team defense depends on everyone playing on a string. Mickey might be more athletic and a better shotblocker but he clearly doesn't have the team schemes down - pretty sure Brad doesn't play him for a reason.

Neither of them thrill me.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2016, 12:56:36 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Mickey is good for a block or 2. Olynyk is a stiff. Horrible player.
Olynyk does a nice job positioning himself on defense, between him and Mickey defense is probably close to a wash, slight advantage Mickey perhaps.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2016, 12:56:50 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Two guys who could be low cost solutions to this year's problems without restricting us are James Johnson and Nikola Mirotic. Both have good defense numbers and high rebounding percentages.

They could easily slot into Jonas Jerebko's role off the bench and give us shooting, rebounding, and defense.

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2016, 12:59:19 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Two guys who could be low cost solutions to this year's problems without restricting us are James Johnson and Nikola Mirotic. Both have good defense numbers and high rebounding percentages.

They could easily slot into Jonas Jerebko's role off the bench and give us shooting, rebounding, and defense.
I am shocked Mirotic has good defensive numbers. I was under the impression that he was about as bad as it gets defensively.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2016, 01:02:44 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I am shocked Mirotic has good defensive numbers. I was under the impression that he was about as bad as it gets defensively.

He is moving his feet a lot better this year and using his length to contest well. He is no all-defensive player, but he is good. He is comparable to Jerebko.

http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/202703/defense-dash/

His rebounding percentanges are also in the upper tier of the league, but that might be a contract year thing.