Author Topic: Would iit be worth it trading for Nurikic if Zizic is coming over next year?  (Read 3429 times)

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
The assumption that Zizic can actually play is based on what credible evidence?

Statistics, videos, scouting reports, that he was drafted, that a successful Turkish club just paid a sizable sum to get him on their roster for only the rest of the season, and that an executive from his Croatian club resigned in protest that Zizic was transferred to Turkey, just to name a few.  Pray tell, what credible evidence do you have that Zizic cannot in fact play, as implied by your question?

There is no comparison between the 2 right now.  Nuric has proven he can play here, and was higher rated when drafted (comparing the time both were drafted).  Zizic has potential and that's all right now. Nobody knows until he proves it here.  The talent level where Zizic is playing also makes it hard to compare.

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I would rather have Faried instead of Chandler, but I would like that trade!!

I am not big on Faried (or Chandler at his current contract) but this addresses the problem with the original trade.  We give up two bigs (Zeller and Olynyk) for one big (Nurkic).  If we did that, our big rotation would be what, Horford, Johnson, Nurkic and Mickey?  That is not enough depth even if Nurkic was an upgrade over Olynyk.

Jerebko would be our 4th big in that case

And Zizic is in the mix after this year, presumably.

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Statistics, videos, scouting reports, that he was drafted, that a successful Turkish club just paid a sizable sum to get him on their roster for only the rest of the season, and that an executive from his Croatian club resigned in protest that Zizic was transferred to Turkey, just to name a few.  Pray tell, what credible evidence do you have that Zizic cannot in fact play, as implied by your question?

Cmon, its coachbo.. the same guy who said beasley is gonna be something.

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
In few years Nurkic will be out of this league. His character will prevent him from being succesful in this league...

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
Can Žižić play and be a good NBA player? I say yes he can and will be. Why? Because he has the proper height for an NBA center, he is a tough as they come, has a good motor, and most importantly he is a high character guy and a hard worker. He is not affraid of contact, not affraid of competition, humble guy, and got his brother's guidience. Believe me, he will be better player then Nurkic...

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
Plus he's not coming out of nowhere like Bender. He will have two years of quality european bball under his belt. That's more experiance then what Nurkic had before he arrived in the league.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Zizic has talent but I feel like there's some big time overrating of him going on around here. I'm optimistic about what he can bring to the team, eventually, but he's 19 years old, putting up great numbers in a less talented league. He's not going to be ready to contribute in the NBA for another 2 years, probably, an even then we don't know what he'll look like against all-world talent.

If the C's can get an upgrade in the middle at a reasonable price (Nurkic would be worth a small gamble) you don't hold up that deal because maybe Zizic is going to be something someday in the future.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I would rather have Faried instead of Chandler, but I would like that trade!!

I am not big on Faried (or Chandler at his current contract) but this addresses the problem with the original trade.  We give up two bigs (Zeller and Olynyk) for one big (Nurkic).  If we did that, our big rotation would be what, Horford, Johnson, Nurkic and Mickey?  That is not enough depth even if Nurkic was an upgrade over Olynyk.

Jerebko would be our 4th big in that case

And Zizic is in the mix after this year, presumably.
Jerebko does not reassure me regarding our big man depth.  He is a fine sort of change of pace type player but he is just another example of our depth weakness, not an answer. 

I guess if you feel you could bring in Zizic and he could immediately contribute, then that is an answer to the big man depth but I don't see how you can count on that and especially if it is not until next season.

I am unconvinced.  I still say it would be a mistake to trade both Zeller and Olynyk and get back only one big who may not even be better than Olynyk.  Nurkic is a different type of big than Olynyk and that is useful.  Nurkic is a fine target, I just don't like this trade as originally posted.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Plus he's not coming out of nowhere like Bender.

I think Bender 's ceiling is a beter shooting but softer Vucevic but he has a long ways to go to get there.

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

I figured that's all you had - which is nothing.

Romanticize away. Lord knows, this blog has never, ever hyperbolized an obscure draft pick before.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Zizic has talent but I feel like there's some big time overrating of him going on around here. I'm optimistic about what he can bring to the team, eventually, but he's 19 years old, putting up great numbers in a less talented league. He's not going to be ready to contribute in the NBA for another 2 years, probably, an even then we don't know what he'll look like against all-world talent.

If the C's can get an upgrade in the middle at a reasonable price (Nurkic would be worth a small gamble) you don't hold up that deal because maybe Zizic is going to be something someday in the future.

Bingo. TP.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline fubar089

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11
Zizic has shown some promise but he's a complete unknown at this point. We'll be fortunate if he ends up contributing at all to the club as of right now.

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Can Žižić play and be a good NBA player? I say yes he can and will be. Why? Because he has the proper height for an NBA center, he is a tough as they come, has a good motor, and most importantly he is a high character guy and a hard worker. He is not afraid of contact, not afraid of competition, humble guy, and got his brother's guidance. Believe me, he will be a better player then Nurkic...

I definitely agree that he will be better than Nurkic.
I never saw Nurkić getting anything but backup center minutes in the longterm.
He has a Bosnian head (may sound racist, but even Bosnians make jokes about it, basically means stuborn), 400 lbs potential (see his dad), in love with his car (during his Cedevita stint guys close to the club were telling me that it is worrisome), discipline, injury risks...
On the other hand, Žižić is younger, really experienced for his age (played 3 leagues simultaneously just 2 years ago, now in Turkey), has that grown man's counter-strength, a kind of Steven Adams immovable object trait. Big thing for a - big. He can control the defensive glass, a must-have skill for a lone big in today's game. Slow release, but good accuracy from the midrange and FTs. Great motor. He will never misinterpret his skillset to overthink his role, unlike Nurk, who is skilled but not that skilled to be jacking some questionable shots or going for a home run play that has only 30% of succeeding. Žižić doesn't get frustrated, he just plays. I think that Nurkić is back in Europe in some 3-4 years.

But the fundamental drawback of this Nurkić addition possibility is that at the moment we don't want to add any more guaranteed salaries after this year.
We would all rather have Hayward than Nurk.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Can Žižić play and be a good NBA player? I say yes he can and will be. Why? Because he has the proper height for an NBA center, he is a tough as they come, has a good motor, and most importantly he is a high character guy and a hard worker. He is not affraid of contact, not affraid of competition, humble guy, and got his brother's guidience. Believe me, he will be better player then Nurkic...

So far he has out performed every successful big man to come out of the ANA league.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bostonceltics/comments/56oj28/ante_%C5%BEi%C5%BEi%C4%87_scores_37_points_and_grabs_20_rebounds/

At worst he is a solid rotational big.  Right now I think he's a better talent than both Amir and Zeller. 

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Rozier, Jerebko, Zeller and two future non Nets firsts for Nurkic and Chandler.

IT/Smart
Bradley/Brown
Crowder/Chandler
Horford/Johnson
KO/Nurkic