Poll

Would you be interested in trading for Damian Lillard if he became availible?

Yes, he's can be the best player on a championship level team.
1 (4.3%)
Yes, he's flawed but would make us better.
1 (4.3%)
Yes, but only if we could keep Bradley. We'd need him to spell Lillard's deficencies
1 (4.3%)
No, It would be a lateral move since Isaiah is basically just as good.
9 (39.1%)
No, our team is better off as is without bringing Lillard into the fold.
1 (4.3%)
Bonus Option: Portland is not looking to move Dame and nothing we can offer will change that.
10 (43.5%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Poll: Could Damian Lillard be an option for this team?  (Read 2106 times)

Poll: Could Damian Lillard be an option for this team?
« on: December 29, 2016, 04:52:54 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Celebrity deaths aside one of the worst parts of 2016 has been that my side piece team Portland has been a vast disappointment particularly on the defensive side of the ball.

They have a flawed roster, an awkward fit in the back court, and are lead by a young, talented, but athletically limited PG who is best known for his burgeoning rap career in Damian Lillard.

For their summer acquisitions...
Evan Turner had a historically disappointing start to the season.
Allen Crabbe has not looked to be near worth his contract.
Festus Ezeli has yet to play a significant minute since signing with the team.

They are currently ranked dead last in defensive efficiency, are probably one of the only teams that are seriously looking at being constrained by the newly risen cap and have a tough call coming up this off season with their starting center Mason Plumlee.

At the center of all of the criticism has been the team's best player Damian Lillard. Stories are surfacing that he's been asked to call out his teammates for poor defensive effort but feels that he cant since his own D is so suspect. He's publicly stated that the team "kind of sucks" right now. In general he's losing his rep as a silent assassin, and starting to be viewed more as a moody, if talented, diva.

In the last 2 games since he's been injured Portland has held opponents to 95 and 89 points respectively and seem to be playing more cohesively behind the primary ball handling of CJ McCollum and Evan Turner.

No rumor or anything to back this up but get's me thinking...

A. Could Damian Lillard become available?
B. If yes which Washingtonian would they want from our back court between Isaiah and Bradley?
C. Depending on which of them what else would we need to give up?
D. Should we even want to add Damian Lillard?

What do you think? Lateral move since we have Isaiah or consolidation of assets that could put us over the top? I'd imagine Lillard would be on board to get him out of the Point guard crucible that is the western conference, question is should we interested?

Re: Poll: Could Damian Lillard be an option for this team?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 06:56:16 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Lillard, McCollum, Crabbe, and Turner will make a combined $86+ million next year. Seems like a poorly constructed roster. You're right. Maybe we can do business there?

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 07:15:50 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Stats Comparison

If you compare their stats, and then their attitudes, it's a largely lateral move.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 07:28:05 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Portland aren't going to move Lillard.

They'll move other guys before they make him available.

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 07:52:27 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This would really help our size issues, NOT!

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 08:21:21 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Stats Comparison

If you compare their stats, and then their attitudes, it's a largely lateral move.
I believe Lillard is better and enough better to be noticeable, but I'm not sure he is enough better that the cost would make sense to acquire him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 08:47:52 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
Stats Comparison

I believe Lillard is better and enough better to be noticeable, but I'm not sure he is enough better that the cost would make sense to acquire him.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=hwpbuz2

See this is where I am with it. Reaches the point where it gains some credence is because ours would be the kind of return that could entice them to shake up that roster. What other team could offer 2 all-star-caliber in Seattle area based players.

Meanwhile we roll with Dame Smart Rozier and get the restricted match rights on Mason Plumlee. Maybe see if Arlington native Pat Connaughton can play as well.

Just think there is still value upgrading to one of the top three scoring guards in the league in Damain Lillard. Smart could be an incredible fit with him too.

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 08:51:07 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Stats Comparison

I think IT is a better defender (due to effort) and a better leader. Plus, he loves Boston and has been a vocal recruiter.  Lillard may be slightly better offensively, but not so much so that it counteracts other intangibles.

Then, as you said, add in other assets and it makes little sense for us.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 08:52:51 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Stats Comparison

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=hwpbuz2

See this is where I am with it. Reaches the point where it gains some credence is because ours would be the kind of return that could entice them to shake up that roster. What other team could offer 2 all-star-caliber in Seattle area based players.

Meanwhile we roll with Dame Smart Rozier and get the restricted match rights on Mason Plumlee. Maybe see if Arlington native Pat Connaughton can play as well.

Just think there is still value upgrading to one of the top three scoring guards in the league in Damain Lillard. Smart could be an incredible fit with him too.

How does this make us better?

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 08:56:24 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
Stats Comparison

I think IT is a better defender (due to effort) and a better leader. Plus, he loves Boston and has been a vocal recruiter.  Lillard may be slightly better offensively, but not so much so that it counteracts other intangibles.

Fair enough, and agree on all those points.

This trade's anything but a sure thing but it's one of those where if we were going to trade IT somewhere Portland is geographically the closest to his family, I know he's active with the community out there so I don't think he'd feel betrayed if we sent him to this one particular team.

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 09:05:40 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Stats Comparison

This trade's anything but a sure thing but it's one of those where if we were going to trade IT somewhere Portland is geographically the closest to his family, I know he's active with the community out there so I don't think he'd feel betrayed if we sent him to this one particular team.

If we're going to move on from IT, Lillard makes sense. I'd prefer IT, though, and I'd be very squeamish about including AB, too.

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 09:25:42 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Stats Comparison

Then, as you said, add in other assets and it makes little sense for us.

How is Thomas a better leader? Lillard is said to be one of the best leaders in the game and one of hardest working players there is. His gym rat mentality has teammates following his lead in that regard.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/15491511/lillard-leadership-makes-portland-winner

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 09:43:14 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
OP, you said Lillard was athletically limited? Are you sure about that?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hKkcXDJ3Lyg

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 09:53:36 AM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 09:59:02 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Stats Comparison

If we're going to move on from IT, Lillard makes sense. I'd prefer IT, though, and I'd be very squeamish about including AB, too.
Yeah no way I would do Thomas and Bradley for Lillard.  Thomas and some other asset I'd certainly consider. 

Now I'd do a much larger trade

Thomas, Crowder, Rozier, Johnson, Young, BOS 18 1st, MIN 17 2nd

for

Lillard, Plumlee, Aminu, Connaughton, Quarterman

Upgrade PG and C with a downgrade at SF and the bench.  I think that sort of trade makes Boston a better team as Plumlee is a good fit next Horford and will help immensely with the interior problems. 

All that said, I don't think Portland trades Lillard so I don't know why I'm proposing trades for him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 09:59:43 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Stats Comparison

Echoes my thoughts.  At the cost, it doesn't make much sense.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team