Poll

Would you trade Amir, Zeller, Rozier, and the 2018 pick for Rozier?

Yes
No way
I'd do a different trade without a Brooklyn pick

Author Topic: Heat planning on tanking - trade for Whiteside?  (Read 5576 times)

Heat planning on tanking - trade for Whiteside?
« on: December 28, 2016, 07:14:32 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
http://www.sbnation.com/2016/12/28/14098436/miami-heat-tank-pat-riley-goran-dragic-trade-rumors

Now, I think we'd all prefer someone like Boogie to Whiteside, but it's looking more and more likely that they'll stay in the West playoff race through the trade deadline, meaning Boogie won't go anywhere. Further, with the new CBA and Sacramento able to offer him a major extension this year, I highly doubt he goes anywhere.

There's also the possibility of Noel, but I'm getting more and more suspicious that Philly wants to keep him and trade Okafor, no matter how bad Noel wants out.

Outside of that, there's not really any other ways to improve our big position at Amir's spot, which we really need.

But what about Whiteside? In the link above, Riley pretty much admits that they'll be tanking the rest of the year and selling off their good players.

Now, it's unclear whether or not Whiteside is one of those players, but if Danny offered Rozier and the 2018 Brooklyn pick (along with Amir and Zeller as expiring trade filler), Riley has to at least think about it, right? He'll more than likely get a top-5 pick this year to pair with a young core of Winslow, Johnson, and Rozier, and the 2018 pick would give him another good pick next year to add to his core.

While Whiteside isn't a perfect fit for our system with his lack of spacing, he pretty much fixes our major problems in rebounding, rim protection, and interior scoring. He's averaging over 14 (!) rebounds a game, and he's a legitimate DPOY candidate in Boston. Further, Whiteside's presence in the middle would make us really, really tough matches for Cleveland and GS, both for out-rebounding them and for intimidation and deterring penetration.

So yay or no? This would still leave us with the 2017 Brooklyn pick, which could still also be flipped with Crowder/Bradley and future picks for a Butler or George type at the deadline or draft.

I say yes, because I think it makes us a legitimate contender with an elite defense and another decent/reliable interior scoring threat in the starting lineup, along with fixing our rebounding problem.

Re: Heat planning on tanking - trade for Whiteside?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 07:22:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
http://www.sbnation.com/2016/12/28/14098436/miami-heat-tank-pat-riley-goran-dragic-trade-rumors

Now, I think we'd all prefer someone like Boogie to Whiteside, but it's looking more and more likely that they'll stay in the West playoff race through the trade deadline, meaning Boogie won't go anywhere. Further, with the new CBA and Sacramento able to offer him a major extension this year, I highly doubt he goes anywhere.

There's also the possibility of Noel, but I'm getting more and more suspicious that Philly wants to keep him and trade Okafor, no matter how bad Noel wants out.

Outside of that, there's not really any other ways to improve our big position at Amir's spot, which we really need.

But what about Whiteside? In the link above, Riley pretty much admits that they'll be tanking the rest of the year and selling off their good players.

Now, it's unclear whether or not Whiteside is one of those players, but if Danny offered Rozier and the 2018 Brooklyn pick (along with Amir and Zeller as expiring trade filler), Riley has to at least think about it, right? He'll more than likely get a top-5 pick this year to pair with a young core of Winslow, Johnson, and Rozier, and the 2018 pick would give him another good pick next year to add to his core.

While Whiteside isn't a perfect fit for our system with his lack of spacing, he pretty much fixes our major problems in rebounding, rim protection, and interior scoring. He's averaging over 14 (!) rebounds a game, and he's a legitimate DPOY candidate in Boston. Further, Whiteside's presence in the middle would make us really, really tough matches for Cleveland and GS, both for out-rebounding them and for intimidation and deterring penetration.

So yay or no? This would still leave us with the 2017 Brooklyn pick, which could still also be flipped with Crowder/Bradley and future picks for a Butler or George type at the deadline or draft.

I say yes, because I think it makes us a legitimate contender with an elite defense and another decent/reliable interior scoring threat in the starting lineup, along with fixing our rebounding problem.

I am reading this and Whiteside makes 25 million a year how is us getting him really possible?

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 07:24:49 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Are you ready to have a 25 million dollar investment only get 20 mpg, because CBS will struggle to give him more with his work ethic.

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 07:31:36 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

I am reading this and Whiteside makes 25 million a year how is us getting him really possible?

I think he makes $22M per year this year, which works about perfectly for Amir, Zeller, and Rozier. Have to wait until January 14 for Zeller, but that's no big deal.

Trade machine had that trade work.

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 07:40:11 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

I think he makes $22M per year this year, which works about perfectly for Amir, Zeller, and Rozier. Have to wait until January 14 for Zeller, but that's no big deal.

Trade machine had that trade work.

It seems like paying Horford and Whiteside 50 million + per year the next two years would create roster issues for us. He is a hard player to evaluate. I would probably just rather have Bogut as a rental at this point. Im also not convinced they want to trade Whiteside given he is still fairly young.

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 07:54:07 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja

to say the least. CBS' offenses have big men play both inside and outside and pass the ball. whiteside cannot play or shoot from outside.

and as for passing, he has a TOTAL of 22 assists so far this season. 22 assists in 32 games while averaging 18 minutes per game.

whiteside has trouble getting 20 minutes a game with a bad team. for what he offers, he would really disrupt the celtics passing and offensive flow.

pass.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 07:55:51 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The Heat aren't looking for a long rebuild.  Tank for a year, get a high pick, get Bosh off the books and lure a max player to South Beach to pair with Whiteside.  I don't see Whiteside being dumped for picks and prospects.

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 08:01:09 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

to say the least. CBS' offenses have big men play both inside and outside and pass the ball. whiteside cannot play or shoot from outside.

and as for passing, he has a TOTAL of 22 assists so far this season. 22 assists in 32 games while averaging 18 minutes per game.

whiteside has trouble getting 20 minutes a game with a bad team. for what he offers, he would really disrupt the celtics passing and offensive flow.

pass.

He averages 33.9 minutes a game... Not sure where this 20 min thing is coming from. He's averaging 18 pts, 15 rebs, and 2 blocks per game. That pretty much addresses all of our concerns.

As far as the he "doesn't fit the system" stuff, I think a good/great coach should be able to adapt his system to his talent. Otherwise, you're just Mike D'Antoni.

Final point - his salary is a byproduct of the CBA. Yes, he makes $22m. But that's the going rate for a guy his age with his production. You're not going to find any IT like contracts these days.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 08:04:05 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja

pass.

He averages 33.9 minutes a game... Not sure where this 20 min thing is coming from. He's averaging 18 pos, 15 rebs, and 2 blocks per game. That pretty much addresses all of our concerns.

As far as the he "doesn't fit the system" stuff, I think a good/great coach should be able to adapt his system to his talent. Otherwise, you're just Mike D'Antoni.

Final point - his salary is a byproduct of the CBA. Yes, he makes $22m. But that's the going rate for a guy his age with his production. You're not going to find any IT like contracts these days.
ooops. my mistake on the minutes and thank you for catching it. i misread the category.

but my basic point on assists stands and lack of offensive flow stand....i hope.  ;)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 08:19:27 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
I think Whiteside is a bit of an empty stats guy. Dont think hed help us nearly as much as an 18/15/2 guy should

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 08:29:01 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
The Heat aren't looking for a long rebuild.  Tank for a year, get a high pick, get Bosh off the books and lure a max player to South Beach to pair with Whiteside.  I don't see Whiteside being dumped for picks and prospects.
This.

Whiteside is 27. The team is already not winning with him. I don't see Riley trading him away. It makes more sense to trade Dragic for an asset, get a high pick, and move forward with a foundation of Whiteside, Winslow, and a top 2017 draft pick (probably a PG, anyway). Whiteside isn't going anywhere.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 08:35:09 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
This.

Whiteside is 27. The team is already not winning with him. I don't see Riley trading him away. It makes more sense to trade Dragic for an asset, get a high pick, and move forward with a foundation of Whiteside, Winslow, and a top 2017 draft pick (probably a PG, anyway). Whiteside isn't going anywhere.

Yeah, I really don't expect them to move him. He is 27, but he doesn't have the mileage of a regular NBA 27 year old. Also, there's the Riley/Ainge rocky relationship, and it's unclear whether or not they'd really deal with each other with something that substantial, especially with their dust-up a couple years back.

I was kind of just seeing if people would make such a trade. I still think he's worth that type of package, even if they ultimately aren't looking to trade him.

I've got to say, though, I don't think he's really someone to build around. I think he'd be a great fit for a trade to someone like us with a great mentor in Horford there for him, but I'm not sure that I'm building my team around him.

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 08:55:59 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I know for a fact that Danny and Pat Riley are the BEST of Friends...so of course I expect them to make a deal :-p
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016, 09:13:00 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
The Celtic Laker hate runs very deep.  Just carried on with ththe Heat.......they are not  dealing in anything that might give one or the other the upper hand .....that's for sure.

We d come closer to making a deal with the current Laker mgmt.front office

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2016, 10:07:39 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
Why are they trading their youngest best player?   
Diggles