Author Topic: Forbes article on Vucevic and Celtics  (Read 9232 times)

Re: Forbes article on Vucevic and Celtics
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2016, 09:43:56 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Take out Smart and Payton. 

The 1st round picks cannot be from Brooklyn.   

I see the fit and the use.  I also see that the Celtics still have the pieces to go after a bigger trade later.

I wouldn't want to move the Grizzlies pick either. Our 2018 and 2019 picks, maybe. (That's allowed so long as we keep the 2018 Nets pick).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2016, 09:53:35 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I see the fit and the use.  I also see that the Celtics still have the pieces to go after a bigger trade later.

I wouldn't want to move the Grizzlies pick either. Our 2018 and 2019 picks, maybe. (That's allowed so long as we keep the 2018 Nets pick).

2 firsts may be to much.  A future first and the best 2nd rounder they have this year may work.

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2016, 09:54:18 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

2 firsts may be to much.  A future first and the best 2nd rounder they have this year may work.
  Still no Net's pick.

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2016, 10:14:58 AM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Vucevic is by no means a stiff. He is a clear upgrade on most of our big men and averages 10 rpg.  He is stuck behind Ibaka and Biyombo in Orlando because of the stunning incompetence of the Orlando GM.

If the Cs were to acquire Vucevic I see no reason that he could not be flipped during the summer for a better player.  As a matter of fact he would be a much more enticing trade asset than any of the other Cs bigs save Horford.

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2016, 10:18:30 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Vucevic is by no means a stiff. He is a clear upgrade on most of our big men and averages 10 rpg.  He is stuck behind Ibaka and Biyombo in Orlando because of the stunning incompetence of the Orlando GM.

If the Cs were to acquire Vucevic I see no reason that he could not be flipped during the summer for a better player.  As a matter of fact he would be a much more enticing trade asset than any of the other Cs bigs save Horford.

Very true.   Especially if the Celtics allow him to play like he has in previous years.

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2016, 10:29:19 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
He's solid enough, but he doesn't move the needle much toward contention.

Yup......don't want to spend down too much on JUST. another just very good player .  I like him better than Bogut , if we did not already have Horford.   

Need to save the cap space for the NEXT star ......George , Boogie or Butler ....these types.

We do need help under the boards .  I like Bogut on a short contract

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2016, 10:32:24 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
The Magic would have a young defensive minded and athletic point guard in Smart as well as the promising Mickey to go with the boost of two first-round picks in the future.

I can see the Celtics being interested in Vucevic but not Payton.  Plus I don't understand the proposed trade at all.  I would be fine with including Olynyk in the mix plus a non-Brooklyn pick with "the promising" Mickey (really?) and/or Young if that is what they wanted.  This all seems pretty speculative.

Vucevic was a very promising player just a year ago.  I have no idea what happened.  The player I remember from a year or so ago is just what the Celtics need.
I'm guessing he thinks that Boston would like a backup PG if it trades Smart and with Smart Orlando wouldn't need Payton.

Yeah, I know but why complicate the deal with all that?  I like Smart on the Celtics better than Payton anyway.  I could see a deal for Vucevic and understand that, just don't see any point to expanding it to include Payton and Smart.

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2016, 10:33:56 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I can't imagine Ainge having much interest in Payton and there's no way he's trading Smart, KO and two firsts for a guy like Vucevic.

I could see Ainge parting with KO, Amir, Jerebko the 2018 Nets pick and our 2018 pick for Vucevic and Ibaka.

Orlando gets a potential top 5 pick, salary relief and they're more likely to resign KO than Ibaka.  Boston gets maybe the best trio of bigs in the league.

Mike

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2016, 10:37:37 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I like Vucevic's game a lot. Like a lot, a lot.

But there is absolutely zero chance that Marcus Smart is included in a trade for him. This is where this article completely lost me.

Smart has become such a leader of this team and his value has become the intangibles of what he adds to this team that don't show up on a stat sheet. The feisty-ness on the court, the locker room attitude, the bench communication (did you see his Mic'd up youtube?), his basketball IQ, etc.

If Smart is included in a trade, it will be for a significant star. Vucevic does not fall into this category.

Vucevic is a tremendous asset in both that he adds to this team's ability to compete (his game is 100% complementary to Horford) and he is a cost-controlled big that could be a good trade chip eventually.

I would do any of the following trades:

Trade #1: Jerebko/Rozier/Mickey/Young + Celtics 2018 1st Round Pick

Trade #2: Zeller/Rozier + Celtics 2018 1st Round Pick

Trade #3: Zeller/Jackson/Yabusele + Celtics 2018 1st Round Pick

Obviously, I would prefer Trade #3 which does not include Rozier, however, I think Vucevic will command a decent return and Rozier could enable us to avoid any of the Brooklyn options.

Perhaps we could look at a package that includes Brooklyn 2018 with Zeller/Young as a 4th option?

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2016, 10:38:24 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
The Magic would have a young defensive minded and athletic point guard in Smart as well as the promising Mickey to go with the boost of two first-round picks in the future.

I can see the Celtics being interested in Vucevic but not Payton.  Plus I don't understand the proposed trade at all.  I would be fine with including Olynyk in the mix plus a non-Brooklyn pick with "the promising" Mickey (really?) and/or Young if that is what they wanted.  This all seems pretty speculative.

Vucevic was a very promising player just a year ago.  I have no idea what happened.  The player I remember from a year or so ago is just what the Celtics need.
I'm guessing he thinks that Boston would like a backup PG if it trades Smart and with Smart Orlando wouldn't need Payton.

Yeah, I know but why complicate the deal with all that?  I like Smart on the Celtics better than Payton anyway.  I could see a deal for Vucevic and understand that, just don't see any point to expanding it to include Payton and Smart.
I'm pretty sure he thinks Orlando will want Smart in a trade for Vucevic.  I don't think KO, Mickey, Young, and two future 1sts (assuming no Brooklyn and that they are lotto protected) are enough for Vucevic (salary isn't enough either), but with Smart it is enough and goes the other way, so sending Payton back makes sense in that regard. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2016, 10:43:46 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
You need Smart to be with the next Star .....big scorer .   No way Danny trades Smart for a guy like that ......one that barely moves the needle if any.

Trade Rozier , KO , Young , Amir ,  no Nets picks .

I think trading Jaylen off at this point for Vuc would be a mistake . This kid may catch hold solid by next season and be worth some serious trade value.

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2016, 11:26:57 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Very true.   Especially if the Celtics allow him to play like he has in previous years.

You like him for the C's? Defense is terrible, scoring is good, but he's a malconent if he's not starting. All things considered, I'd rather give those minutes to Olynyk.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2016, 11:27:46 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 226
Most I would give up is Olynyk, Jerebko, Rozier, and MAYBE a second rounder. KO and Rozier would fit nicely in Orlando.

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2016, 11:32:22 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
You need Smart to be with the next Star .....big scorer .   No way Danny trades Smart for a guy like that ......one that barely moves the needle if any.

I think trading Jaylen off at this point for Vuc would be a mistake . This kid may catch hold solid by next season and be worth some serious trade value.

You may need Smart to be the next star, but 2.3 years of evidence says that isn't happening.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2016, 12:18:15 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

You may need Smart to be the next star, but 2.3 years of evidence says that isn't happening.

I think he is saying he wants Smart WITH the next star to do the dirty work, not to be the next star. 

If we could get this done around Olynyk and non-Brooklyn future picks, great but if we need to swap Smart for Payton to get it done, I am definitely less interested.  He isn't even starting for them right now.  Anytime you swap out rotation players like Smart, you take a step back for a period of time.  I would prefer not to take that big of a step back at this time just for the step forward we would get from Vucevic.

I do think Vucevic could be a nice addition.