Author Topic: What is Isaiah Thomas's value now?  (Read 3831 times)

Re: What is Isaiah Thomas's value now?
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2016, 02:18:08 PM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
His value isn't that high because there aren't many teams that would want to acquire him.

You don't think all those teams under .500 would want IT on their team right now?
Very few.  Milwaukee, Indiana, Dallas, and Denver really are the only ones that make sense (and even Indiana is a bit of stretch since they have Teague, who while not as good as Thomas, isn't a bad player so the cost of the upgrade probably isn't worth it for them).  Sacramento possibly as well, but there is some bad blood there so I'm not sure that is realistic.  No one else makes any sort of real sense even if Thomas is an upgrade.  Take Minnesota, Thomas is clearly an upgrade on Rubio, but Thomas is a similar player to Lavine and Wiggins i.e. excellent offensive player not a good defender.  The Wolves need a big strong defender at the point, that is not Thomas.  The Sixers, Suns, etc. are still rebuilding so acquiring Thomas makes no sense.

I think that any of those teams will want to add Thomas because he is clearly better than their point guards.  Now, certain trades are not going to happen because the trades don't benefit the Celtics as much as Thomas does.  I'd expect him to be used to lure a big name player like Cousins.  The Kings can use Thomas to replace Cousin's scoring, run the point that they're missing, and play entertaining basketball while developing during their rebuild.  Plus their roster of young players like WCS and Richardson are ideal players that can play up and down that suits Thomas' offensive attack.

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2016, 02:21:20 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
His value isn't that high because there aren't many teams that would want to acquire him.

You don't think all those teams under .500 would want IT on their team right now?
Very few.  Milwaukee, Indiana, Dallas, and Denver really are the only ones that make sense (and even Indiana is a bit of stretch since they have Teague, who while not as good as Thomas, isn't a bad player so the cost of the upgrade probably isn't worth it for them).  Sacramento possibly as well, but there is some bad blood there so I'm not sure that is realistic.  No one else makes any sort of real sense even if Thomas is an upgrade.  Take Minnesota, Thomas is clearly an upgrade on Rubio, but Thomas is a similar player to Lavine and Wiggins i.e. excellent offensive player not a good defender.  The Wolves need a big strong defender at the point, that is not Thomas.  The Sixers, Suns, etc. are still rebuilding so acquiring Thomas makes no sense.

I think that any of those teams will want to add Thomas because he is clearly better than their point guards.  Now, certain trades are not going to happen because the trades don't benefit the Celtics as much as Thomas does.  I'd expect him to be used to lure a big name player like Cousins.  The Kings can use Thomas to replace Cousin's scoring, run the point that they're missing, and play entertaining basketball while developing during their rebuild.  Plus their roster of young players like WCS and Richardson are ideal players that can play up and down that suits Thomas' offensive attack.
If the Kings trade Cousins, then acquiring a guy like Thomas makes no sense.  Thomas is not someone you acquire if you are rebuilding, that is why very few teams actually make sense for Thomas.  A rebuilding team doesn't want him and most of the playoff level teams have a PG that is at least comparable to Thomas. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2016, 02:42:29 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

If the Kings trade Cousins, then acquiring a guy like Thomas makes no sense.  Thomas is not someone you acquire if you are rebuilding, that is why very few teams actually make sense for Thomas.  A rebuilding team doesn't want him and most of the playoff level teams have a PG that is at least comparable to Thomas.

Agree on all points. For Boston, Dallas is the best trade candidate for IT4. They'll want one-last hurrah with Dirk and have the best draft assets to get IT4.

For indiana, i see no significant upgrade to the team if you just take the ball out of PG13's hands.

Milwaukee would love to have IT4, since he plays so well off the ball and is better in every way than Delly. However, if they don't want to give up Jabari, then there's really nothing for Boston to have in return
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2016, 04:10:54 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Agree on all points. For Boston, Dallas is the best trade candidate for IT4. They'll want one-last hurrah with Dirk and have the best draft assets to get IT4.

What draft assets would those be?

If you are suggesting their own 2017 pick because they are currently in position with the 3rd worst record, why would we count on that staying the same in the face of 'one last hurrah with Dirk' as boosted by adding Isaiah to their roster?

What does Dallas have to trade to the Celtics that would (in Danny's mind) compensate for giving up Isaiah?
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2016, 08:30:59 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

What draft assets would those be?

If you are suggesting their own 2017 pick because they are currently in position with the 3rd worst record, why would we count on that staying the same in the face of 'one last hurrah with Dirk' as boosted by adding Isaiah to their roster?

What does Dallas have to trade to the Celtics that would (in Danny's mind) compensate for giving up Isaiah?
Exactly.  Dallas makes sense as a team that would want Thomas, but not so much as a team that has assets worth it to Boston unless they gave up their own pick this year, and I just can't see them doing that for Thomas. 

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2016, 08:34:08 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
IT is the new face of the franchise right now and he has openly embraced that role. He's also playing like it. There's really no chance they trade him. It also would not be a very good look for the organization.

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2016, 08:48:17 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
At this point he's a max player we have to keep. He still forces things at times and makes bad turnovers but nobody is perfect. The fact he doesn't get abused on the defensive end amazes me but he probably has amazing strength for his size that helps him in that.

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2016, 10:25:22 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
At this point he's a max player we have to keep. He still forces things at times and makes bad turnovers but nobody is perfect. The fact he doesn't get abused on the defensive end amazes me but he probably has amazing strength for his size that helps him in that.

Agree. Whatever his short-comings on D, there are only a handful of guys like Isaiah who can score on his own like that.  He has become a definite building block due a max contract, or near max contract. I love his fearlessness.

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2016, 10:36:48 AM »

Offline The_Truth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 28
IT's value is high because we don't win without him. Seriously, the disrespect in this thread. Ya'll should be ashamed. IT could easily fetch you another above average starter but why would you even try to get rid off the best 4th quarter scorer in the NBA? It's lunacy.

Agreed - someone mentioned Wall & Gortat for IT - nah man - that's nuts.

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2016, 10:45:52 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
IT's value is high because we don't win without him. Seriously, the disrespect in this thread. Ya'll should be ashamed. IT could easily fetch you another above average starter but why would you even try to get rid off the best 4th quarter scorer in the NBA? It's lunacy.

Thought this was a joke, but nope, it's probably spot on..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2016, 10:55:46 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Thought this was a joke, but nope, it's probably spot on..
well if it was mere, here was the trade I had suggested

Boston - Wall, Gortat
Washington - Johnson, Jerekbo, Young, Hernangomez, Mudiay, 2018 Boston 1st (top five protected), Memphis 1st, 2017 Denver 1st (top ten protected)
Denver - Thomas

I think that is a pretty reasonable trade for all 3 teams.