Author Topic: Grizzlies (20-12) at Celtics (18-13) Game #32 12/27/16  (Read 24637 times)

Re: Grizzlies (20-12) at Celtics (18-13) Game #32 12/27/16
« Reply #285 on: December 27, 2016, 11:35:23 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Good win, but I hope people remember that Memphis was without Conley and Parsons, and this game still went down to the last minute or so.

Not trying to be Debbie Downer, but I think it's an important part of having the correct perspective with this Celtics team.

It's not so much about who they didn't have on the court but about how we played.  We are starting to play with a cohesiveness and energy I believe can withstand anything opposing team throws at us, something that has been lacking up till now.

I agree. I'm not sure they could withstand LeBron, but they are trending in the right direction.

Good win, but I hope people remember that Memphis was without Conley and Parsons, and this game still went down to the last minute or so.

Not trying to be Debbie Downer, but I think it's an important part of having the correct perspective with this Celtics team.

It's not so much about who they didn't have on the court but about how we played.  We are starting to play with a cohesiveness and energy I believe can witstand anything opposing team throws at us, something that has been lacking up till now.

Cs haven't lost a game by more than 7 since November 18

Didn't realize this, but that's great news too.

We just beat them with Conley. Stop trying to throw ice on a nice home win against a western conference playoff team.

Touché.

It's a win, and a solid one, and the team played well most of the night, including most of crunch time; maybe it's just me, but I don't like to get ahead of myself (or my teams). Some athletes and coaches like to say, "Don't get too high with the highs, or too low with the lows" ... I guess that's what I'm saying.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #286 on: December 28, 2016, 01:30:56 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Nice win!

« Reply #287 on: December 28, 2016, 09:43:54 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Highlights are up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i0Oq3daJ8E

Game looks incredible with all our ugly turnovers taken out. Must view!

Turnover count seemed a result of not only trying some new twists on our usual sets, but also Memphis' typical extreme pressure on the three point line, attacking passing lanes, trapping ball handlers (specifically IT though), but which in turn opened up secondary easy cutting options (for Avery, Gerald, and Horford) when they couldn't force a turnover.

A few other things I noticed: Jae ices the pick and roll too hard often

Marc Gasol is really good at passing and would be really nice on our team  :D several examples of quirky small passes

Check out the look on IT's face at 7.29, it's like he says to himself as soon as the ball is inbounded: 'this is going to be a nasty hard drive at this defence which doesn't respect my skills by packing the paint". It's only fast, but it's awesome. I know the whole team is super likeable at the moment (with one notable exception, of course), but man., IT is just seriously good and seems to still be getting better. His decision making today was brilliant - recognizing traps, as mentioned, and just his feel for the game is breathtaking. It feels like every shot he takes is high percentage.

And finally, I'm still not sure if I am massively overrating or massively underating Jae Crowder. He seems to know his role, never takes shots unless he is pretty darn open, and is shooting over 40% from three. I think he has to stay for his whole contract, right? right?

Rant over.

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #288 on: December 28, 2016, 10:30:01 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Poor Amir, I bet he woke up this morning all black and blue. Zbo was a tough match. 

« Reply #289 on: December 28, 2016, 10:43:44 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Also, just further on Jae, his number across the board this year are ridiculous.

.408 from 3
.567 from the field
.885 from the line
.592 effective FG

Wowzer.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #290 on: December 28, 2016, 11:30:32 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Poor Amir, I bet he woke up this morning all black and blue. Zbo was a tough match.
Yup, he had the toughest matchup, and they were battling constantly. Amir is far from perfect, but he has an important role on a team that lacks size in the front court. We all saw the limited options Brad had when he had two bigs in foul trouble. He had to go to Zeller, and Mickey was DNP-CD once again.

« Reply #291 on: December 28, 2016, 12:13:50 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Yup, he had the toughest matchup, and they were battling constantly. Amir is far from perfect, but he has an important role on a team that lacks size in the front court. We all saw the limited options Brad had when he had two bigs in foul trouble. He had to go to Zeller, and Mickey was DNP-CD once again.

I can understand going with Zeller in most situations, even as bad as he's looked sometimes this season, but if what you need to some kind of physical presence, I'm not sure why Mickey couldn't even get off the bench in this game.

Yes, most second rounders never amount to anything but it would at least be comforting to see him play enough to know for sure he sucks, especially given Stevens' now inexplicable refusal to play Green earlier this season.

Mike

« Reply #292 on: December 28, 2016, 12:21:14 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja

I can understand going with Zeller in most situations, even as bad as he's looked sometimes this season, but if what you need to some kind of physical presence, I'm not sure why Mickey couldn't even get off the bench in this game.

Yes, most second rounders never amount to anything but it would at least be comforting to see him play enough to know for sure he sucks, especially given Stevens' now inexplicable refusal to play Green earlier this season.

Mike
it is only inexplicable to us, the uninformed, those who do see him practice, those who lack CBS' years of experience. CBS thinks mickey playing would hurt the team right now. i give him the benefit of the doubt.

also, i think Zbo would have simply run mickey over, given the differences in size. amir did a pretty good job on defense against him.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #293 on: December 28, 2016, 12:23:07 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
We had turnovers yes , too many , but Grizzlies is one of the few teams that play elite defense,  Tony and company play defense.   Part was Celtics used to poor defense teams and part was the excellent defensive effort by the other team. 

« Reply #294 on: December 28, 2016, 05:42:29 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Mike
it is only inexplicable to us, the uninformed, those who do see him practice, those who lack CBS' years of experience. CBS thinks mickey playing would hurt the team right now. i give him the benefit of the doubt.

also, i think Zbo would have simply run mickey over, given the differences in size. amir did a pretty good job on defense against him.

Stevens knows a lot more about basketball than I do, but that doesn't mean he's always right.  Really smart and experienced coaches do stupid stuff all the time because they are human like the rest of us.  We know Zeller is essentially useless against someone like ZBo.  Mickey might be as well but it would be nice to actually see it instead of just assuming it to be so.

After all, two different teams essentially gave up on IT and Dallas decided that Rondo was worth Crowder and a 1st round pick.

Mike