Author Topic: Can we fit Cousins & Hayward?  (Read 2492 times)

Can we fit Cousins & Hayward?
« on: December 26, 2016, 07:00:01 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
I am a bit confused with the whole new CBA situation, but hypothetically if this offseason we trade for Cousins can we afford to offer Hayward a max contract?

If so, do you think a starting five of; Horford, Cousins, Hayward, Bradley and Thomas is good enough to win a championship or possibly push the Cavs to a competitive seven game series?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 07:09:05 AM by slightly biased bias fan »

Re: Can we fit Cousins & Hayward?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 07:18:17 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
That starting 5 would win a championship
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 07:22:05 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
You need to somehow keep Crowder and Smart, then maybe

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 07:24:28 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
We could create the cap space for signing Hayward and then look to trade for Cousins with our remaining assets. We couldn't trade for him and then sign Hayward without moving some core pieces. Because of the flexibility of trades against the rigidness of cap space it would be much easier to sign Hayward first.

I'd love that team

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 09:09:39 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
We could create the cap space for signing Hayward and then look to trade for Cousins with our remaining assets. We couldn't trade for him and then sign Hayward without moving some core pieces. Because of the flexibility of trades against the rigidness of cap space it would be much easier to sign Hayward first.

I'd love that team

In an ideal world, this would be great, but every one of our big contracts will need to be renounced to sign Hayward in the first place. Do Smart, Brown, Rozier, Mickey, and Jackson even get us there? I suppose we could also make the first round pick, sign him, and then trade him since that contract would then count.

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 09:49:17 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I am a bit confused with the whole new CBA situation, but hypothetically if this offseason we trade for Cousins can we afford to offer Hayward a max contract?

If so, do you think a starting five of; Horford, Cousins, Hayward, Bradley and Thomas is good enough to win a championship or possibly push the Cavs to a competitive seven game series?
With only $62 million in guaranteed contracts for next year, you could construct a trade at this trade deadline for Cousins that would include something like Smart, Crowder, AJ or Zeller plus pick(s).  Then in the offseason, renounce all nonguaranteed contracts and offer Hayward the max you can offer. The problem is that the Cousins, Thomas, and Bradley contracts would all be up at the end of 2017-2018.

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 10:07:47 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I'd love someone on Celtics Blog (or a capologist amongst us peasants) to perform an up to the minute analysis of the salary cap.

This is the team that gets you a banner (Thomas-Bradley-Hayward-Horford-Cousins). Lost in the salary cap is the fact that our ownership has been willing to go above the cap (penalty of $1.50 for every $ spent up to $5m over the cap).

If we were able to set a team up like stated, one would think that we are gunning for a championship and would be willing to spend.

I have such a large amount of reservation of getting Boogie. The potential for him to infest this team with his cancerous attitude is alarming. Remember those quizzes when you were a kid ("Which item doesn't belong here?"). Perfect for Cousins and that team of solid personalities.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 10:23:01 AM by Fireworks_Boom! »

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 10:40:18 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I'd love someone on Celtics Blog (or a capologist amongst us peasants) to perform an up to the minute analysis of the salary cap.

This is the team that gets you a banner (Thomas-Bradley-Hayward-Horford-Cousins). Lost in the salary cap is the fact that our ownership has been willing to go above the cap (penalty of $1.50 for every $ spent up to $5m over the cap).

If we were able to set a team up like stated, one would think that we are gunning for a championship and would be willing to spend.

I have such a large amount of reservation of getting Boogie. The potential for him to infest this team with his cancerous attitude is alarming. Remember those quizzes when you were a kid ("Which item doesn't belong here?"). Perfect for Cousins and that team of solid personalities.

Sorry, I've been trying to compose an update, but the holidays and a sick infant have prevented me.  Might have some time later today, finally, so check the fanpost section this afternoon or evening.  The preview is that the Celtics should have enough cap room for a max free agent if they let Olynyk walk, but that's not a guarantee.  The new CBA both cut into the Celtics' cap room and made max free agents more expensive.

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 10:56:51 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
That team wins a championship, although it's possible you need to give up Bradley in a deal for Cousins (or Smart), as well as 2017 Nets pick and definitely some more pieces.

Also would Hayward really leave Utah? They are also 18-13 and he could get more $$$ and the extra year by staying. I don't think the C's are that much better than Utah to warrant he moves. (Still surprises me Horford took less money and 1 less year to come to Boston over Atlanta).

Also where exactly does Hayward play? They have Bradley, Crowder and Brown. Their minutes will get significantly cut short (Crowder and Brown especially). He's a great player but the C's should really prioritize finding a big who can score/rebound (like Cousins..).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016, 11:23:34 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
Best to your sick child (I have 4 at home and there is never a time when one isnt sick) and thanks for the info.

Sorry, I've been trying to compose an update, but the holidays and a sick infant have prevented me.  Might have some time later today, finally, so check the fanpost section this afternoon or evening.  The preview is that the Celtics should have enough cap room for a max free agent if they let Olynyk walk, but that's not a guarantee.  The new CBA both cut into the Celtics' cap room and made max free agents more expensive.

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2016, 11:27:00 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
Phantom, in the scenario which we've just discussed, I see Smart splitting time with ball handler mins as back-up to IT and wing minutes to Bradley. Hayward/Brown share  swing minutes. Crowder gets his 18-20 min from backing up Horford at PF when we go small.
That team wins a championship, although it's possible you need to give up Bradley in a deal for Cousins (or Smart), as well as 2017 Nets pick and definitely some more pieces.

Also would Hayward really leave Utah? They are also 18-13 and he could get more $$$ and the extra year by staying. I don't think the C's are that much better than Utah to warrant he moves. (Still surprises me Horford took less money and 1 less year to come to Boston over Atlanta).

Also where exactly does Hayward play? They have Bradley, Crowder and Brown. Their minutes will get significantly cut short (Crowder and Brown especially). He's a great player but the C's should really prioritize finding a big who can score/rebound (like Cousins..).

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2016, 11:30:26 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

You technically could, but the better solution is to trade for both this season.  You'd need to trade away over $20 million of 2017 guaranteed dollars to make room for both in free agency.

Realistically, however, if the Celtics were to have a starting lineup that you propose for beyond the next season, the payroll would be well over $150 million.  That'd be some very serious luxury tax, probably over $50 million worth of it.  I think ownership will pay the luxury tax for a true title contender, but I don't think they'd go that high.

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2016, 01:21:39 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56

You technically could, but the better solution is to trade for both this season.  You'd need to trade away over $20 million of 2017 guaranteed dollars to make room for both in free agency.

Realistically, however, if the Celtics were to have a starting lineup that you propose for beyond the next season, the payroll would be well over $150 million.  That'd be some very serious luxury tax, probably over $50 million worth of it.  I think ownership will pay the luxury tax for a true title contender, but I don't think they'd go that high.

If we want the high powered frontcourt of Horford-Hayward-Cousins and a payroll of $150 million is clearly untenable, then either Bradley or Thomas have to be part of any Cousins or Hayward trade. Maybe a defense-first backcourt of  Rozier and Bradley might be feasible since we would have so much scoring at the 3,4,5.

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2016, 08:36:39 PM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
We'd have to break up a good chunk of our core because getting those players are going to need trades and the cap would not work without giving up all of our role players that really play a big role in making a title team.

Hayward would be signed to a max in 2017 offseason ( no idea why Jazz would not match but who knows), so that makes two max contracts on the team (Hayward and Horford). With Bradley, Thomas, and Smart all needing pay raises in 2018 offseason (same as Cousins) the team would have to move on from one or two.  It is unrealistic to have three max contracts let alone try to add 4 to one team.  So either Thomas or Horford would not fit if Cousins and Hayward are added.  The same goes for Bradley (He's looking to cash in at 20M at least). 

With all that cap pieces to fit together, it looks that trading some our core pieces that are due for raises might be the best options.  This ultimately makes making that team super unrealistic (although it would be pretty [dang] good).  I do want to point out that a team that starts Smart, Hayward, Crowder, Horford and Cousins would still probably win us a title and keep us competing at a high level for at least a half a decade.

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2016, 08:38:23 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
Because of this new CBA, superstar players will no longer be leaving their teams.
The only color that matters is GREEN