Poll

Who do you take with the #2 pick if Fultz is gone

Lonzo Ball
Josh Jackson
Dennis Smith JR
Malik Monk
Jason Tatum
Harry Giles

Author Topic: Poll: Celtics select #2 Next year. Who ya got  (Read 11986 times)

Re: Poll: Celtics select #2 Next year. Who ya got
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2016, 03:13:14 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I dont get the Monk pick at all. Take fit out of it. The guy is 6'3 with short arms who doesnt get to the rim consistently. Get scorer more of a shoter but what position does he play and who does he guard?

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2016, 01:27:24 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I dont get the Monk pick at all. Take fit out of it. The guy is 6'3 with short arms who doesnt get to the rim consistently. Get scorer more of a shoter but what position does he play and who does he guard?

I dont know man, Monk could become pretty great. You know he has like a 40" vertical and is a tremendous athlete right?

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2016, 11:27:38 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

He is explosive. I mean, he can get up in the air, really, really fast. I don't how he does it, but he gets to the rim, can shoot lights out, take over a game, has dribble moves, has touch. Only other guy as prolific scoring in this draft is Fultz, but Monk scores aggressively and AT WILL against top teams in college.

Could probably only guard 1s though. But Let's not get too anal about drafting defense and defense every single year, another lights out scorer won't hurt us too much. This team has had some bad offensive showings, and defer too much to IT. If you watch Kentucky, you know De'Aaron Fox defers to Monk! I'm not saying he's the best option, but he's passing the eye test right now.

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2016, 04:03:03 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

It's really interesting that Tatum has the lead for the #2 pick here. He's a great prospect, but I believe the fact he's 6'8" and not a PG definitely plays a part in that, not sure he's the BPA.

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2016, 04:34:51 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

It's really interesting that Tatum has the lead for the #2 pick here. He's a great prospect, but I believe the fact he's 6'8" and not a PG definitely plays a part in that, not sure he's the BPA.

People have the misconception that our guard rotation is set in stone.

I think come Tournament time we'll have a clearer picture on who's the best out of these pups. That's who I want the C's to pick anyways.

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2016, 04:43:03 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
DOnt get me wrong. I think Monk could be a pretty good player in the NBA with his ability to score. Having watched him the last 2 year he has never disappointed in his ability to score. What I will say is that I have waaaaay too many questions about him to pick him at 2. At 7 or 8 yes because I think he is better than many of the prospects left but not at 2.

He is explosive. I mean, he can get up in the air, really, really fast. I don't how he does it, but he gets to the rim, can shoot lights out, take over a game, has dribble moves, has touch. Only other guy as prolific scoring in this draft is Fultz, but Monk scores aggressively and AT WILL against top teams in college.

Could probably only guard 1s though. But Let's not get too anal about drafting defense and defense every single year, another lights out scorer won't hurt us too much. This team has had some bad offensive showings, and defer too much to IT. If you watch Kentucky, you know De'Aaron Fox defers to Monk! I'm not saying he's the best option, but he's passing the eye test right now.

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2016, 04:50:21 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
Who do you think is the BPA at 2?

I dont think there will be a clear cut number 2 because I think there will be 3 or 4 guys that could make that claim.

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2016, 04:54:13 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
The tourney should have very little impact on these guys. A hot tourney should not persuade a team to take a player. Tatum and Jackson have been watched so many times already throughout their career on big stages that the tourney shouldnt make much of a difference.

I think come Tournament time we'll have a clearer picture on who's the best out of these pups. That's who I want the C's to pick anyways.

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2016, 05:21:34 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I'm starting to get very leary of Giles.

First off, the injury question is still there.  He's only seen the floor for 10 minutes which was mostly just standing around to take the water temperature.   We won't know for certain that he is 'fully recovered' for quite some time and it may still be a wide open question by the time the draft comes.

If he declares, I will not be shocked if he gets, "the Sully treatment" and slides significantly.

At some point, he becomes someone you have to take a chance on.  But that looks at this point like it is going to be well after the Nets pick.  And unless he slides all the way to the #35 pick, you can probably forget seeing him in a Celtics uniform (barring some sort of trade).

Even if 'healthy', it remains to be seen how well he recovers.   And after reviewing the various scouting vids on Giles that are out there, I'm not encouraged that he is someone we should spend a high draft pick on.   A lot of his dominance in H.S. was based on his elite athleticism.   His hops, quick-twitch reactions and speed up & down the court were ridiculous.  But if he can't get back to that level of athleticism, I'm not seeing how he compensates unless he adds more 'skill' markers to his repertoire of attributes.  He doesn't have a very good shooting form and while he's had success scoring close to the hoop, as I noted, a lot of that is predicated on his superior athleticism and body control over his prep school opponents.

Now, it's true that all but a few minutes of vid on Giles is from quite a while back - pre injury.  He hasn't played organized ball in over a year.  It's definitely possible that he has been working on fundamentals such as his jump shot during his rehab and maybe after he really fully "comes back" we'll see growth towards being a more skilled player.

But right now, I'd be very leary of using a top 10 pick on him.

And I'd offer this thought for consideration:  If Ante Zizic were to have waited and declared for this coming 2017 draft, I submit that he would _easily_ be considered a top 10 pick in this coming draft, given both the shortage of good bigs in this draft AND the way he has completely and without mercy dominated the Adriatic League.  Remember, he is STILL just 19 years old.     And we will be able to add him on a fresh rookie contract next season.

He's in many ways similar to Giles in that he's an extremely high-motor, extremely long (9' 3" standing reach!), athletic big who sprints up & down the floor, can play above the rim and who grabs every rebound in sight.  Like Giles, he doesn't have much of an outside shot, though his form is not ugly and looks like he could develop a decent mid-range jumper.  Unlike Giles, he's healthy and he's bigger.   About 30lbs of muscle bigger.

The point is, the fact that we already have Zizic (as well as Yabusele) should help assuage any gut-feeling urge to 'draft for need' of a big man.   Stick with BPA.

And in this coming draft, right now unless the Nets pick somehow ends up tumbling out of the top 6 or so picks, it doesn't look like the BPA will be a big man.   And even if the pick DOES end up down that low, I'm not sure at this point that Giles would be the first or even the 2nd big man that should be taken off the board.

Now, I hope his recovery is 100% and that within a few weeks I'm completely flip-flopped on this.  I'm just stating where I see things right now.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2016, 05:31:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
How can people say Giles when he hasnt shown anything at the ncaa level? On top of this any teams thinking of picking him will want a full up to date full comprehensive medical report

Tatum is like who Jabari Parker was suppose to turn out like... Good at both ends and obviously is naturally gifted on the offensive end.  Not at lebrons level but like a more well rounded Carmelo potential

That sounds like a #2 worthy pick

« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2016, 05:33:28 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
The tourney should have very little impact on these guys. A hot tourney should not persuade a team to take a player. Tatum and Jackson have been watched so many times already throughout their career on big stages that the tourney shouldnt make much of a difference.

I meant that as in the sample size of games played will be bigger.

« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2016, 05:46:41 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I can see it go down this way

Mavs - Fultz
76ers - Ball
Celtics - Tatum
Suns - Jackson
Heat - Isaac
Wolves - Giles

« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2016, 05:46:51 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
I didnt pick Giles at 2 because A) it will be awhile before he gets back to the level he was before and B) I really would like to see his skill develop more in the face of some of the other players that are out there.

With that being said having seen games of him his freshman year and to see a few games of his in different time spans after his rehab his junior year, we shouldnt be so quick to dismiss him if given a clean bill of health.

I dont love his skill level but he has so much to work with that if he is not picked up in the top 8 of this years draft, I would be willing to trade off many parts of this team and the 18 pick plus future picks to get this kid. I think the reward could be substantial.

How can people say Giles when he hasnt shown anything at the ncaa level? On top of this any teams thinking of picking him will want a full up to date full comprehensive medical report

Tatum is like who Jabari Parker was suppose to turn out like... Good at both ends and obviously is naturally gifted on the offensive end.  Not at lebrons level but like a more well rounded Carmelo potential

That sounds like a #2 worthy pick

« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2016, 05:48:20 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I suppose whomever's deemed BPA at that point.  a bit early to latch on to someone.  how many times has the projected top pick at the beginning of the year ended up sliding down from the top spot on draft night.

would also not be surprised to see Danny use the pick in a deal to get a franchise-level player from a franchise willing to reboot.

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2016, 05:50:25 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
Very true but as with Jaylen I dont hold the seasons against the player. A guy like Tatum has had NBA level talent for a few years. He could show me more this year but having seen him for a few years now I know he is at least an NBA player.

I meant that as in the sample size of games played will be bigger.