Author Topic: Jackson vs Tatum - who is the best sf of the 2017 draft?  (Read 3705 times)

Jackson vs Tatum - who is the best sf of the 2017 draft?
« on: December 24, 2016, 11:49:23 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Both players have very nice size, length, strength for a sf. Athletic , competative.

Josh Jackson
- Comparison Winslow/Leonard
- Strength: Elite versatile defensive potential. Slashing. Passing
- Weakness: Shooting

https://youtu.be/_rIDRJfuUjs

Jason Tatum
- Comparison Caron Butler/Derozan
- Strength: Advance Iso skills, rebounding
- Weakness: Inconsistent shooter

https://youtu.be/sEFEQv1l5rI
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 11:56:59 AM by triboy16f »

Re: Jackson vs Tatum - who is the best sf of the 2017 draft?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 12:05:06 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I think it is Tatum. He just seems much more in the mold of a go to scorer than Jackson. I dont really view either as having elite length. Tatum is decent at 6'11 (compared to just over 6'8), and Jackson is slightly worse at 6'10 (for just under 6'8.) Neither has the kind of length Brown does (6'7, 7'wingspan.) I view Jackson as a potentially slightly better brown, where as Tatum is more of a herky jerky scorer.

Jackson has been picking it up lately, and his open court passing is a good skill, but I could see him having the same developmental worries we have about Brown. We could use a good rebounding SF/PF that can score from basically anywhere. Tatums shot should come around.

Also alot of the scouts I have seen like Tatums defensive potential due to his size and quickness. He wont have the crazy blocks that Jackson gets, but he should be well above average assuming he stays the course.

Basically I believe they are similar levels of prospects, I just see more star potential (aka go to scorer) in Tatum than I do in Jackson.
#JKJB

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 12:17:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I think it is Tatum. He just seems much more in the mold of a go to scorer than Jackson. I dont really view either as having elite length. Tatum is decent at 6'11 (compared to just over 6'8), and Jackson is slightly worse at 6'10 (for just under 6'8.) Neither has the kind of length Brown does (6'7, 7'wingspan.) I view Jackson as a potentially slightly better brown, where as Tatum is more of a herky jerky scorer.

Jackson has been picking it up lately, and his open court passing is a good skill, but I could see him having the same developmental worries we have about Brown. We could use a good rebounding SF/PF that can score from basically anywhere. Tatums shot should come around.

Also alot of the scouts I have seen like Tatums defensive potential due to his size and quickness. He wont have the crazy blocks that Jackson gets, but he should be well above average assuming he stays the course.

Basically I believe they are similar levels of prospects, I just see more star potential (aka go to scorer) in Tatum than I do in Jackson.

Good points. Only thing is even though Brown has a 7'0 wingspan , only has a 8'7 reach vs Jackson and Tatum who have 8'9-8'10 reach. 

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 12:28:17 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Interesting. Although I think Brown is quicker than Jackson. I never got standing reaches. Its always kinda surprising. For example, Brown is 6'7 w/ a 7'0 span. Jackson is 6'8 with a 6'10 span, (aka +1 and -2) yet he has a few inches standing reach.

Neck lengths play a part, and you obviously count chest width on wingspans, and divide the wingspan by 2, but sometimes its dramatic.
#JKJB

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 12:30:30 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I put Tatum a notch above for the reasons above: offense and rebounding.

And I think the Winslow/Johnson experiences are taking the shine off the "he can turn into Kawhi Leonard" model where you draft for the other stuff and hope the offense develops. Jackson is already getting that kind of chatter.

I much rather watching Jackson play at this level though, because he impacts the game in so many ways.

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 12:34:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Interesting. Although I think Brown is quicker than Jackson. I never got standing reaches. Its always kinda surprising. For example, Brown is 6'7 w/ a 7'0 span. Jackson is 6'8 with a 6'10 span, (aka +1 and -2) yet he has a few inches standing reach.

Neck lengths play a part, and you obviously count chest width on wingspans, and divide the wingspan by 2, but sometimes its dramatic.

Yes. Brown has a body in some ways like Winslow. Long Wingspan but so so reach.

Jackson and Tatum have body structures like Leonard/Lebron

Loook taller than 6'8, due to the extra reach.

So i feel Brown is more like a sg/sf vs jackson/tatum who can play small ball pf at the nba once they fill out

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 12:35:29 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I put Tatum a notch above for the reasons above: offense and rebounding.

And I think the Winslow/Johnson experiences are taking the shine off the "he can turn into Kawhi Leonard" model where you draft for the other stuff and hope the offense develops. Jackson is already getting that kind of chatter.

I much rather watching Jackson play at this level though, because he impacts the game in so many ways.

So is it Jackson or Tatum? Lol

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 07:09:18 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Tatum has a bit of Paul Pierce about him. His offensive game is impressive. He started the season off at a much higher level than Josh Jackson. Jackson has been playing better lately though. Showing more offense than earlier in the year. He reminded be of Darius Miles first time I saw him play vs Pierce with Tatum.

No point in calling it at this point because Jackson is improving month to month in a bigger way than Tatum. We could have a much different view of things in March.

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 07:18:17 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I'm curious about both, going to be a great prospect watching season.

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2016, 11:24:15 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I'm curious about both, going to be a great prospect watching season.

the bad thing is that both are not good long range shooters.   Jackson has a broken jump shot.  He can make it when least expected/streaky.  Kind of like how Smart is

Tatum has a very good mid range jump shot.  Actually it's like his bread and butter.  But extend it to about 17 ft to NBA 3 pt line and he can't make it.   Just like Derozan.   It's probably best not to mess with what works

So not sure how either would fit under CBS.

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2016, 11:37:51 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Sabonis had no 3 point range last year either, and he just made 4 against us.  What you're interested in isn't who they are but what you think they'll develop into.  A guy like Tatum with a good mid range game and who shoots free throws well has a good chance of developing 3 point range.

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2016, 10:24:28 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
What about Miles Bridges in comparison?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoJzZ08OPm0