Author Topic: Reckon Ainge Will Make A Big Trade For Another 2017 Lottery Pick...  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
If we get Lonzo Ball or Markelle Fultz with the Brooklyn Pick (likely Top-3), then it's obvious the Celtics will not be able to keep all of IT, Smart, Bradley and Rozier.

So my thinking is that Ainge will probably flip 1 guard (or Smart + Rozier), Zeller (expiring salary), some future picks and an overseas prospect like Yabusele to try and get a pick between #6-9.

That way, while Ainge picks BPA with the Nets pick, he could use the other pick on either Jackson, Tatum or Harry Giles (forwards or bigs the C's could really use). Yes Giles is a huge risk but if he stays healthy throughout the NCAA season and the medical staff clear him, I think Ainge takes the risk, we'll see. We don't have a need for guards but obviously you choose by BPA. This way, Ainge can do that and have another pick to draft a solid big or forward as well.

What do you guys think happens? You guys have any trade ideas for this route?

And is there a reasonable way to get another lottery pick without having to trade Isaiah Thomas, because I want him to stay. Being a top-6 PG in the league and Top-7 scorer in the league are feats that are nothing to scoff at.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Reckon Ainge Will Make A Big Trade For Another 2017 Lottery Pick...
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 11:24:01 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Teams are very stingy with high draft picks. I doubt we have the assets to make it happen. Maybe IT or Bradley gets it done but man that would feel like a huge step backwards.

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 11:32:47 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I don't think so. Ainge didn't sign Horford just to go ahead and trade our vets for draft picks and build through the draft.

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 11:56:14 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Not happening. Ainge might trade Smart or Rozier if he drafts a PG, but that drafted PG will play behind IT for the forseeable future. This team is intent on developing youth while winning at the same time. A full out youth movement, such that Ainge would be looking for more draft picks this year, is not going to occur.

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 12:42:50 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Not happening. Ainge might trade Smart or Rozier if he drafts a PG, but that drafted PG will play behind IT for the forseeable future. This team is intent on developing youth while winning at the same time. A full out youth movement, such that Ainge would be looking for more draft picks this year, is not going to occur.

Yeah I mentioned I wanted to keep Isaiah Thomas the most out of that group.

I just hear lots of buzz around here that if the C's draft Fultz.. Isaiah Thomas should be allowed to walk in 2018 or traded for value.

I think smart thing would be to trade Smart or Rozier and a future pick or two for a big that is out there. That seems the most logical.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 01:15:55 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
The only way I see us flipping someone for a lottery first is if we aren't looking that good is February. Which would have to be a stark contrast to now.

I could see us flipping KO for a mid first but only if Brown developed enough that we felt he could be a key part of the rotation AND we traded for a big like Bogut

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 01:33:50 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I can't see Ainge trading for yet more picks.  if anything, I could see him moving picks for better players. 

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 03:42:20 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
With the emergence of Malik Monk we are guaranteed at least a prospect with star potential at the guard spot. I believe that Rozier will be redundant on this team.

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2016, 10:11:44 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
For the thousandth time, teams do not trade first round  draft picks unless the team is already a championship  contender.

Those high picks are never traded because of the "chance" that one of those  players might be the next Lebron.

Ain't happening

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 03:49:41 AM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
It's really amusing that there are people who think NBA teams are just going to toss away top ten lottery picks, in an extremely loaded draft, for a puffy/overweight Marcus Smart, Tyler Zeller (Lol), and a foreign player with no nba experience.  I mean, just give the pick away for almost nothing. Smh . . . . it's the same type of mindset that says: Yeah, throw Jaylen Brown in the trade for good measure, we don't mind overpaying for questionable all-stars with balky knees or questionable personalities....

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 07:29:04 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
I'm not sure why you think this is an extremely loaded draft. While there might be depth, I'm not sure that there's one player that has Lebron, KD, Anthony Davis, KAT upside. Maybe Giles or Fultz.... maybe.

Danny- If everyone thinks the next great player will be drafted this year, go against the tide. Trade the pick to a team waiting to develop a 19 year old for 4-5 years. We already have enough growing pains on this team. Do we really need a guy like Jackson to play good D and struggle with his shot?

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 08:07:48 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Smart, Zeller, and Yabu will not yield a lottery pick especially not one in the top 10.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2016, 11:41:52 PM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
I'm not sure why you think this is an extremely loaded draft. While there might be depth, I'm not sure that there's one player that has Lebron, KD, Anthony Davis, KAT upside. Maybe Giles or Fultz.... maybe.

I disagree, from the footage, reports, and games I've seen this year, I reckon there are between 6-8 potential franchise-changers.  Of course there is no one who resembles Lebron or AD.  You're comparing high school kids to the greatest hybrid nba player of all-time, how is that even fair?? 
You can turn the fortunes of a franchise around without being a top ten all-time player, and I think most NBA g.m.s would agree: 2017 is the draft you wanna be in the top ten, if at all possible.

As a matter of fact, I would look for teams like the Heat, Timberwolves, and Mavericks to go into FULL TankMode this month, considering what's at stake.  Can you imagine that Timberwolves squad three seasons from now with a guy like Dennis Smith jr. or Markelle Fultz?? Or a Kidd-like distributor like Lonzo Ball?? 
There's just no way any nba gm worth his salt is gonna trade away his lottery shot for a handful of middling talent.  That's how people get fired.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 05:46:24 AM by SuddenFame »