Author Topic: Whick pick is more valuable?  (Read 2325 times)

Whick pick is more valuable?
« on: December 22, 2016, 10:00:46 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I see that the 18 draft is LOADED with big men (11 of the first 20 in this mock are 6'10 or taller - http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft

I presume Danny is trying to only give up one pick in a Boogie trade (if he is even interested - someone noted the other day that they believed after recent events, there is no way we are still pursuing him: which may be completely correct)

I presume Danny would be trying to ship out the 18 pick, and I'm sure Sac will be insisting on the 17 pick. It wouldn't be a hard sell premising the value of the 18 pick on the Nets still sucking hard, and probably trading away Lopez for a pick at the deadline or over summer..

The 18 pick might be more valuable. Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts about this? NOt just which one they think is more valuable, but any other comparisons of the two picks or drafts in general...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Re: Whick pick is more valuable?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 10:12:49 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The '17 pick definitely has more value. Not only are the Nets currently sucking, but the pick would pay dividends sooner for any team that acquires it. I fully expect the Nets to be just as bad next year, but that is no guarantee. It is currently happening now, though. This draft is also considered 'loaded.'

As for Cousins, I am not sure that Danny is in a huge rush. He may want to see if he can get his hands on Griffin/Hayward for 'free' and keep his picks rather than paying a higher price now. Sac is faltering once again and they will likely continue to underperform. If Sac doesn't trade Cousins at the deadline, then his value will be even more diminished in the offseason (essentially an expiring contract) and Danny can revisit that option if Griffin/Hayward are not coming here.

Note, however, if Sac actively puts Cousins on the trading block at the deadline, Danny will have no choice but to try to make a move.

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 10:37:32 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
From a trade value standpoint, the 2017 Nets pick is more valuable.  However from our perspective, it might be better to trade it rather than the 2018 Nets pick.  We should need to put less other assets into the trade if it includes the 2017 pick.  Maybe we wouldn't even lose a core piece.  We'd also have 5-9M more in cap space this offseason to either help replace the core piece we lost or fill out the bench.  We could potentially trade for Cousins and then sign Hayward in free agency. 

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 10:41:57 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
The '17 pick definitely has more value. Not only are the Nets currently sucking, but the pick would pay dividends sooner for any team that acquires it. I fully expect the Nets to be just as bad next year, but that is no guarantee. It is currently happening now, though. This draft is also considered 'loaded.'

As for Cousins, I am not sure that Danny is in a huge rush. He may want to see if he can get his hands on Griffin/Hayward for 'free' and keep his picks rather than paying a higher price now. Sac is faltering once again and they will likely continue to underperform. If Sac doesn't trade Cousins at the deadline, then his value will be even more diminished in the offseason (essentially an expiring contract) and Danny can revisit that option if Griffin/Hayward are not coming here.

Note, however, if Sac actively puts Cousins on the trading block at the deadline, Danny will have no choice but to try to make a move.

This is a bit off this topic, but I've often wondered how much poker is involved in trades. For instance, presumably, Danny has to make an initial offer, which is a bit lowball, something like Rozier, Amir, Smart, and the 18 pick. Then Vlade would say no, but he might counter with Rozier, Smart, Brown, Zeller and the 17 pick. To which Danny says no. But the point is unless Sac get a better offer then they just need to accept the original offer.

Now my question is, can Vlade bluff and say, "well Atlanta are offering Schroeder, Bazemore, Howard, and two first round picks". But let's say he is lying in this scenario. So is he "allowed" to lie about this? And does Danny has any means to somehow (through formal or informal channels) "check" whether Atlanta are indeed offering that much, and hence precipitate a willingness to "beat" their offer with a better package?

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 10:45:56 AM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
I don't think Danny deals them, because of Cousins contract. I don't think Paul George has it anymore, Bulls want to keep Butler. There's just not many options in terms of superstar targets. The most valuable Nets pick will be the one that would Net a star, whether trade or C's drafting a guy. It could be entirely possible that the most valuable of the picks is already sitting on the roster playing 10 mins a game.

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 10:47:50 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
From a trade value standpoint, the 2017 Nets pick is more valuable.  However from our perspective, it might be better to trade it rather than the 2018 Nets pick.  We should need to put less other assets into the trade if it includes the 2017 pick.  Maybe we wouldn't even lose a core piece.  We'd also have 5-9M more in cap space this offseason to either help replace the core piece we lost or fill out the bench.  We could potentially trade for Cousins and then sign Hayward in free agency.
I don't understand why would we have more cap space? We will need need to send back about 14mill to Sac whether we inlcude either pick

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 01:12:00 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
The 17 pick is more valuable for a number of reasons.

1. Its more of a known quantity than 18 is right now. People want more certainty in trades. More certainty the better.

2. The 17 draft is much better than the 18 draft in my opinion. I personally do not like the 18 draft.

3. 17 brings help faster than 18.

With that being said I actually wouldnt be looking to trade for Cousins because A) Im not sure he puts you over the top with what you will have to give up to get him. B) Sac is actually in the playoff race. They are only a game out of being in the playoffs. Why would they get rid of him now? C) What wing player will you have that can create a shot because I dont see this team winning anything with IT and Cousins being your lead scorers.

I would actually look at another deal with Sac. If their pick is in the 8 - 10 range(cant be below 10 because then the Bulls will get the pick) and Gilies slids, I would actually trade Crowder, Rozier, 18 Nets and the Clippers pick for the right to draft Gilies.

Rationale behind the deal for the Kings is as follows. Gay is leaving Sac. He will not resign there so they must replace him. They could draft a guy in that 8-10 range like maybe Issac but you then put your time table down the road a few years. They need to keep Cousins. Crowder fills in for Gay. Rozier becomes their PG. This fills the need for immediate help. They then still have the Nets pick plus the Clippers to trade for other parts and players.

Rationale for the Cs: The Cs starting lineup is too dependent on ball movement and 3s for me to think this will work over the long term. They do not have players who can attack off the dribble without clear lanes. They need more creative players. I do not think Crowder and AB can play together long term. I think together they are too limited. I also think if you plan on keeping Thomas you have to move Smart or Rozier and Im moving Rozier.

With all that being said I take Tatum with the Nets pick. I think the kid can be a real scorer on the next level. I then have a battle between Brown and Tatum for the starting spot. I actually think Brown can play the 2 long term and Tatum could slide into Jerebko's min fairly easy. I would look for a starting big in FA and bring Gilies off the bench. Gilies can be brought along slowly in this process.

I think if this were to be pulled off (I think the additional draft pick would be really hard to come by) I dont think we actually hurt the win total of the team that much. Yes we could take a step back but in the 1st part of the season but I think long term and over the course of the next 4 years a deal like this gives us the best chance to actually win it.

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 01:29:01 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
the 17 draft is loaded with talent ... one of the greatest potential drafts of the millennium ...
Problem is these players are only 19/20 years old so it usually takes 3+ years until you fully see their potential unveil...

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 07:07:20 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
I don't understand why would we have more cap space? We will need need to send back about 14mill to Sac whether we inlcude either pick
The Nets 2017 pick will almost certainly be top 5 so the associated cap hold would be 5-9M.   Trading the 2017 pick frees up that cap space whereas trading the 2018 pick does not. 

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 11:00:48 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Both pics are valuable.  Really for what we could reasonably get I wouldn't trade either one. We're going to build our new Big 3 Brown will be our big three when will the 2016 pick.  Will get a point guard or shooting guard in this draft is just too many really good ones. Depending on whether we go point guard or shooting guard will determine whether or not we keep Thomas or Bradley.  Will clothes that are big three in 2018 when we draft our big man. 

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 11:03:15 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
The '17 Pick is one of the best draft assets held by any team in a long time.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers