Author Topic: Malik Monk Thread (Merged)  (Read 16730 times)

Re: Malik Monk is a stud.
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2016, 05:48:49 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
After reading some of the csblog analysis on Monk, I decided to really put my watching glasses on and check the kid out for myself.

He looks like the second best scorer in the class, and by far the best pure scorer in the draft.

He looks like a super version of CJ Mcol. on the blazers. I'm not sure if he is what we need out of the draft, but a balls to the wall scorer is always a good thing. Especially a high efficiency dead eye one. He just looks like a gunner that might shoot you out of a few games.

Dude is just a flatout monster of a scorer. Dropped 34 points just recently against a good team in ole miss. I think he can come in take up the role Gerald Green has now and Rozier lost.

https://youtu.be/P8pPMMF1zYg
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 05:55:39 PM by CelticGuardian »

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2016, 06:26:01 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
After reading some of the csblog analysis on Monk, I decided to really put my watching glasses on and check the kid out for myself.

He looks like the second best scorer in the class, and by far the best pure scorer in the draft.

He looks like a super version of CJ Mcol. on the blazers. I'm not sure if he is what we need out of the draft, but a balls to the wall scorer is always a good thing. Especially a high efficiency dead eye one. He just looks like a gunner that might shoot you out of a few games.

Dude is just a flatout monster of a scorer. Dropped 34 points just recently against a good team in ole miss. I think he can come in take up the role Gerald Green has now and Rozier lost.

Monk looks like something special. He can shoot lights out but he can handle and is crazy althetic. I guess the knocks are size and defense. He'd be a great running mate with Marcus Smart.

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2016, 07:15:18 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
He's looking good.
He's going to have to have a full season like this to really convince me given his physical credentials.

I'm not sure why people are so high on Lonzo Ball. Great player, but I don't put him in the same conversation as Fultz, Smith and Tatum.
In fact I'd take Monk over Ball at this point.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2017, 01:30:13 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

Monk looks like something special. He can shoot lights out but he can handle and is crazy althetic. I guess the knocks are size and defense. He'd be a great running mate with Marcus Smart.

I liked that in and out behind the back to freeze the guy in transition, then the crazy finish through contact was just really promising. Monk seems to me like the only guy that's trying to slit his opponents throat, the other guard prospects are taking it real light, having more smooth scoring games like Fultz, Dennis Smith Jr. Monk isn't trying to pass like those guys though.

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2017, 01:31:39 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
He's looking good.
He's going to have to have a full season like this to really convince me given his physical credentials.

I'm not sure why people are so high on Lonzo Ball. Great player, but I don't put him in the same conversation as Fultz, Smith and Tatum.

It's really hard to see who's the best player out of these guys. Monk is making a serious case early though. That ole miss had some length on them, They aren't freaks like Monk though. So we still have to see more of these guys.

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2017, 01:33:29 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He's looking good.

It's really hard to see who's the best player out of these guys. Monk is making a serious case early though. That ole miss had some length on them, They aren't freaks like Monk though. So we still have to see more of these guys.

Good offensive player... Just very slim and doesnt have good size/height at the 2 guard spot. .

Dont think Celts will reach for him unless he goes off in the tourney

Malik Monk = Super Avery Bradley
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2017, 03:09:29 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Fultz would be a perfect fit because he has almost no holes in his game. He's going #1 though.

This kid brings one skill to the table that we need. Scoring. If you watch the highlights, most of the shots rip the net and nothing else.

It freaked me out his wingspan was so short at Kentucky's pro day.

In reality it was 6'6" every other time he measured it. Bradley has a 6'7" wingspan.

Monk has a 42" vertical and is an insanely athletic player. He has the potential to be a great on ball defender as well.

If we really want to help Thomas out with the shooting and scoring load, Monk could be the answer. His tape is ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=2NkCHna7q60

Re: Malik Monk = Super Avery Bradley
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2017, 03:18:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Fultz would be a perfect fit because he has almost no holes in his game. He's going #1 though.

This kid brings one skill to the table that we need. Scoring. If you watch the highlights, most of the shots rip the net and nothing else.

In reality it was 6'6" every other time he measured it. Bradley has a 6'7" wingspan.

Monk has a 42" vertical and is an insanely athletic player. He has the potential to be a great on ball defender as well.

If we really want to help Thomas out with the shooting and scoring load, Monk could be the answer. His tape is ridiculous.

Monk dribble stop and pop is excellent

his long d shooting is good

good at driving in for layups utilizing long wingspan/reach (looks longer than measurement indicates)

but a few problems

1) he will try to shoot out of slumps...just shoot and shoot and shoot

2) AB is a better defender.  Monk is an ok defender. Effort is there.   But only able to guard sg or pg due to skinny body.  And has issues defending against thick/strong guards

overall I think CBS/Danny will be intrigued....but won't reach for him with a top 4 pick.

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2017, 03:23:44 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76

I like Monk, but not within the top 3 which is most likely where our pick will be. To me if you want to pick someone to lighten up the scoring load and also bring in someone that will become a very good defender in the future would be Tatum. To me there's no other player that has the potential both ways that Tatum has. He has a chance to be a less explosive Paul George which to me is absolutely worth a top 3 pick.

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2017, 03:33:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I like Monk, but not within the top 3 which is most likely where our pick will be. To me if you want to pick someone to lighten up the scoring load and also bring in someone that will become a very good defender in the future would be Tatum. To me there's no other player that has the potential both ways that Tatum has. He has a chance to be a less explosive Paul George which to me is absolutely worth a top 3 pick.

Disagree...they have different bodytypes.  George is a better shooter.   George is a SG/SF while Tatum is a SF/PF.... Tatum compares better to Jabari Parker, Tobias Harris imo

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2017, 10:38:43 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

Disagree...they have different bodytypes.  George is a better shooter.   George is a SG/SF while Tatum is a SF/PF.... Tatum compares better to Jabari Parker, Tobias Harris imo

Was George a better shooter as a college freshman?  Just looked it up to answer my own question.  He actually was a good shooter as a freshman, 48/45/70.  Significantly worse as a sophomore, 42/35/91, which is maybe why he didn't get picked as high.

Personally I do think the George comparison is a good one.  That would be as a ceiling for Tatum.

« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2017, 11:32:45 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Defensively it's no comparison, AB has always been touted as an excellent defender since AAU and that goes beyond wingspan. Bradley has the defensive instincts and fast twitch reflexes that can't be taught. IMO Monk will never defend at Bradley's level and for that matter he'll never be asked to.

But It's not all about defense.

Monk is a microwave and has the capability to shoot AB off the court most nights. He has the scorer's mindset and the range to put up high volume output. Malik Monk is a pure scoring guard, and could be an extremely useful piece as a super rookie off the bench for this team with room to grow into the starting role.

I'd probably take him as early as 4 after Jackson and tied with Smith and Tatum.

« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2017, 11:45:56 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Please review Jonathan Isaac!!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2017, 11:50:47 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jonathan-isaacs-rapid-ascent-makes-florida-state-even-scarier-052042339.html

And yesterday he goes for 16 points, 10 rebounds, 2 assists, and 2 blocks vs. Louisville!!!!

He is the REAL DEAL!!!

All he needs is a little weight and some strength and he will be a perennial All-Star and the next STAR in Boston!!

Smitty77

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2017, 12:02:33 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
I really like Monk, i see him as a more athletic Beal. But the reality is that the BRK pick won't be lower than 3 and Monk will end up in the range 5-8. So unless some trade happen i don't see how he can be a Celtic