Author Topic: Malik Monk Thread (Merged)  (Read 16737 times)

Re: Malik Monk is a stud.
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2016, 06:08:49 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Monk is a great prospect. Worth noting though, he has a 40" vertical, however he's just  over 6'2" shoes off and has short arms, 6'3.5"

Bradley 6'7" Wingspan
 Rozier 6'8"
 Smart 6'9"
I wouldn't believe that "official college team" wingspan measurement.  The other times he was measured show his wingspan as 6'6".  The "official college team" wingspan measurement for Fox is 6'4.5" when the other times he was measured show 6'6" and above.  Probably some insidious Calapari plan to try to retain his freshmen.   ;D   

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2016, 07:28:59 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

If that were the case, they should have hid his 42" max vertical...

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2016, 06:50:01 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Fantastic performance, especially to help his team come from behind.

Obviously, it's just 1 great game though. 

Malik has to show more before we can say he's the next great shooter to enter the draft.

A lot of varying measurements here:
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Malik-Monk-7243/

But if he's 6'3-6'4 with a 6'6-6'7 wingspan that's normal size for a shooting guard.

Monk doesn't have a lot of length but if he can keep shooting, moving, and scoring like that, he could turn himself into a really good player.

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2016, 06:55:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Fantastic performance, especially to help his team come from behind.

Obviously, it's just 1 great game though. 

Malik has to show more before we can say he's the next great shooter to enter the draft.

A lot of varying measurements here:
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Malik-Monk-7243/

But if he's 6'3-6'4 with a 6'6-6'7 wingspan that's normal size for a shooting guard.

Monk doesn't have a lot of length but if he can keep shooting, moving, and scoring like that, he could turn himself into a really good player.
Monk would be an undersized SG in the NBA. Don't we have enough of those.

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2016, 08:31:32 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P_d1pnwQlOw

47 points vs. UNC.

Really smooth stroke. Reminds me of a Bradley Beal/Khris Middleton hybrid. Is projected to go in the 5-10 range in the draft. Wouldnt be upset one bit if the Celts pick fell a bit and we got this kid. The NBA is really lacking good shooting guards in todays game, Monk could be one of the best in the league in a couple years i think.

its just one game. Need to see more
Monk has been playing well all season.  7 of 11 games scoring 20+ points including the games against Michigan State, UCLA and North Carolina.  He's what we wished James Young would be.   

Seriously?
Take a look at what Young did in his freshman year.

Lets not jump the gun here

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2016, 09:12:03 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

47 points vs. UNC.

Really smooth stroke. Reminds me of a Bradley Beal/Khris Middleton hybrid. Is projected to go in the 5-10 range in the draft. Wouldnt be upset one bit if the Celts pick fell a bit and we got this kid. The NBA is really lacking good shooting guards in todays game, Monk could be one of the best in the league in a couple years i think.

Monk has been playing well all season.  7 of 11 games scoring 20+ points including the games against Michigan State, UCLA and North Carolina.  He's what we wished James Young would be.   

Seriously?

I watched plenty of Young in his freshman year and Monk is better skilled and more athletic.    People projected too much into Young.  He was never a top prospect.  Not a bad pick at #17 but he just hasn't worked out.  That's not to say Monk is a certain NBA success or that he should be who we take.  After his 47 point onslaught, Calapari was still on him about driving to the lane rather than settling for 3pt shots.  Have to see if he improves on that aspect of his offense.  Also need to see more from him defensively. 

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2016, 09:45:12 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

Monk is a great prospect. Worth noting though, he has a 40" vertical, however he's just  over 6'2" shoes off and has short arms, 6'3.5"

Bradley 6'7" Wingspan
 Rozier 6'8"
 Smart 6'9"

We all know DA loves wingspan he's probably out.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2016, 09:51:35 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

47 points vs. UNC.

Seriously?

I watched plenty of Young in his freshman year and Monk is better skilled and more athletic.    People projected too much into Young.  He was never a top prospect. Not a bad pick at #17 but he just hasn't worked out.  That's not to say Monk is a certain NBA success or that he should be who we take.  After his 47 point onslaught, Calapari was still on him about driving to the lane rather than settling for 3pt shots.  Have to see if he improves on that aspect of his offense.  Also need to see more from him defensively.

Young was one of the top prospects out of HS

And also he helped Kentucky make the ncaa finals. You think thats easy?

Once Young is not brought back (at this rate) , i'm afraid the Celts will lose a nice nba player. Likely not a star but still

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2016, 07:25:25 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

47 points vs. UNC.

Seriously?

I watched plenty of Young in his freshman year and Monk is better skilled and more athletic.    People projected too much into Young.  He was never a top prospect. Not a bad pick at #17 but he just hasn't worked out.  That's not to say Monk is a certain NBA success or that he should be who we take.  After his 47 point onslaught, Calapari was still on him about driving to the lane rather than settling for 3pt shots.  Have to see if he improves on that aspect of his offense.  Also need to see more from him defensively.

Young was one of the top prospects out of HS

And also he helped Kentucky make the ncaa finals. You think thats easy?

Once Young is not brought back (at this rate) , i'm afraid the Celts will lose a nice nba player. Likely not a star but still
Being a top HS prospect just means you get pursued by the top college programs.  It doesn't mean anything as far as the NBA draft.  Cliff Alexander was an even higher ranked HS prospect in his class and he went undrafted.   

Looking at this ranking, shows Young ranked 11 behind 4 of his team mates:  Randle, the Harrison brothers and Dakari Johnson.   I think they helped Kentucky make the NCAA finals too.  Which means little as far as the NBA draft and being a good NBA prospect. 
http://www.draftexpress.com/RSCI/2013/

If Ainge and Stevens thought Young would develop into a good NBA player, he wouldn't have been shopped this offseason and the 4th year of his rookie contract would have been picked up.  I hate to break it to you but Mickey is probably next on the chopping block. 

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2016, 10:40:55 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Malik Monk is a scorer and shooter.  The issue is we have Bradley and Rozier.   I don't see us taking this guy.

He was compared to jerry west. I more see Bradley Beal with him.  Nice player though.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 11:12:52 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2016, 11:22:34 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Not into his length. Didn't really impress me much in his 47 point game.

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2016, 11:32:03 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
YEah he could be nick y oung for all we know right now.  He seems a bit longer and more athletic than that though.  Not Ray Allen's size.  Or even Beal but closer.   He's somewhere between a guy like Beal and Bradley.

He has a good game.  It's reminiscent of guys like Ray in how quick his release is.  I also think he's fairly athletic and a good basketball player. Not the defense Bradley has.

I still have no clue why we would even draft him though.  Particularly Rozier is that for us. Plus AB.  We have our guys in that regard.

Tony Delk is a decent comparison but more a sg like ray. his game reminds me of Ray Allen but he's much smaller.

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2016, 04:53:48 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Monk is a nice player to talk about and watch play. I don't know who the C's will pick (if anyone) next draft but I can tell you it won't this kid (even if we trade at least a couple from our current back court). We'll likely be picking in the top 5 and there are other prospects to keep an eye on that are better value.

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2016, 05:43:34 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Monk is an electric scorer, he reminds me of Monta Ellis with an elite jumper. Lightning quick, great at creating his own shot. He could very well be the elite level scorer we have been waiting for.

His length might be troublesome defending twos, but if you put Marcus next to him then Monk can guard opposing ones.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2016, 04:30:09 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Monk is an electric scorer, he reminds me of Monta Ellis with an elite jumper. Lightning quick, great at creating his own shot. He could very well be the elite level scorer we have been waiting for.

His length might be troublesome defending twos, but if you put Marcus next to him then Monk can guard opposing ones.

That is one of the best attributes of Smart. He can handle the ball as a point and guard bigger. He'd be great next to a smaller quicker scorer.