Author Topic: Givony podcast  (Read 2723 times)

Givony podcast
« on: May 30, 2017, 12:51:30 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Interesting conversation between Gary Parrish (CBS) and Jonathan Givony (Draft Express):

http://www.draftexpress.com/dx-pod/2017-05-28_Jonathan_Givony_with_Gary_Parrish.mp3

My takeaways:

Fultz is a good step above Ball, Jackson and Tatum, in that order.

Ball makes all his teammates look better, and Lavar Ball was a non factor at UCLA.

Has doubts about TJ Leafs shooting skill, which he'll need to be successful at the next level.

Harry Giles looks good in workouts.

There's a glut of big men in the 11-40 range, many of whom may be a couple years off from contributing.  May see a number of them drop as teams are less interested in guys who aren't ready to contribute for 3-4 years.

Have a listen and tell me what you think.

Re: Givony podcast
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 01:28:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Also said Fultz was 6'5" with 6'10" wingspan.

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 01:36:43 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
There's a glut of big men in the 11-40 range, many of whom may be a couple years off from contributing.  May see a number of them drop as teams are less interested in guys who aren't ready to contribute for 3-4 years.

I'm interested to listen. If that's true about the bigs 11-40 that could be great for the C's. Maybe they can package some 2nds to move down to one of the better of those prospects and use the new 2-way contracts to have someone stay in Maine for a few seasons.

I'm not totally sure on how those contracts will work, though, and how it all fits with the cap.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 02:07:51 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Draft either

Fultz and Bell

Or

Tatum and Dozier

Balance things out

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 02:21:10 PM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Also said Fultz was 6'5" with 6'10" wingspan.

Psh that's with Shoes on. He is closer to 6'1 shoes off  ::)
#JKJB

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 02:25:39 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

I'm interested to listen. If that's true about the bigs 11-40 that could be great for the C's. Maybe they can package some 2nds to move down to one of the better of those prospects and use the new 2-way contracts to have someone stay in Maine for a few seasons.

I'm not totally sure on how those contracts will work, though, and how it all fits with the cap.

I'd love to have more picks this draft but with Fultz and Zizic incoming and Yabusele a maybe, it could be too many rookies all coming in at the same time. They'll all be on 4-year deals (assuming they aren't total busts) and will expire the same offseason. It seems like that would be a lot of pressure in one offseason to re-sign/replace so many players.

I don't really want Yabusele wasting another year in China dominating the competition. How much can he really learn there? Yes, the D-League isn't perfect either but the level of talent there should be better.

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 02:34:52 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

I'd love to have more picks this draft but with Fultz and Zizic incoming and Yabusele a maybe, it could be too many rookies all coming in at the same time. They'll all be on 4-year deals (assuming they aren't total busts) and will expire the same offseason. It seems like that would be a lot of pressure in one offseason to re-sign/replace so many players.

I don't really want Yabusele wasting another year in China dominating the competition. How much can he really learn there? Yes, the D-League isn't perfect either but the level of talent there should be better.

I'd like to see Yabu take a step up in competition by going to euroleague for a year. He's interesting, but I'm far from sold on his readiness for the NBA.

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 03:34:30 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

I'd like to see Yabu take a step up in competition by going to euroleague for a year. He's interesting, but I'm far from sold on his readiness for the NBA.

I'd agree, especially since he won't be playing in the summer league.  His D-League stint was inconsistent at best.

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 04:04:36 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Having seen Yabu play in Greensboro, NC, I am in total agreement that he is NOT ready to contribute.  He was in bad shape (perhaps due to the feet issues) and did NOT look great.  The Euro-League for another year is a superb idea!!

Smitty77

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 04:20:54 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If Yabusele isn't coming over, he should take Zizic's spot in Blatt's system. He should be playing in a more competitive league so that he will be ready for the NBA in 2018.

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 04:32:41 PM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
We really need a big guy.  I can't believe with all the picks and assets we have we can't find a big to rebound and play defense.  As great as this team played this year they are not going any further until the interior big man is found.

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 04:37:18 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Yabusele looked very good in summer league last year, he played real well in China, and, notwithstanding Smitty's negative review, looked darn good in D League, even with sprained ankle.

I would love to see him on next year's squad.

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 05:02:39 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Yabusele looked very good in summer league last year, he played real well in China, and, notwithstanding Smitty's negative review, looked darn good in D League, even with sprained ankle.

I would love to see him on next year's squad.
Still wish DA picked him in the 2nd round. I was hoping we would select Caris Lavert with Zizic's pick but he was taken by BKN in the Thad Young trade. I still believe Lavert would have been a much more solid pick at #16. Even though he dropped due to his injury concerns and #16 was early for him....Lavert had great length and projected to be a legit 2 way player with good 3-point percentages...given he stayed healthy

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 05:14:44 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Yabusele looked very good in summer league last year, he played real well in China,

That is pretty poor league no matter how you spin it.   You should go into politics you'd be a natural.

looked darn good in D League, even with sprained ankle.

I was not impressed either, but I am willing to cut him some slack given the injury but nothing I saw makes me think he will be an NBA star.   I mean Mickey outscored him that ought to speak volumes to you.  We all seen what an effective scorer Mickey is in the pros ( yes I am being sarcastic).  Yabu did shoot the ball well.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/dleague/teams/MAI/2017.html