Author Topic: Noel Frustration: Celtics trade coming?  (Read 31349 times)

Re: Noel Frustration: Celtics trade coming?
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2016, 05:49:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If the rumors last year were true and Jeff Teague was offered up for Noel, Philly was stupid to pass that up.

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2016, 05:51:30 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
Well, that is interesting:

https://twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA/status/810216729624322048

https://twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA/status/810217032876773377

Brown keeps referring to Noel with "as long as I have him." I mean, everybody in the league knows he's on the trade block and will be traded before the deadline, but it's still interesting to hear a coach so blatantly use this rhetoric nonetheless.

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2016, 05:56:28 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Jpotter- you mentioned a couple of posts back that DA wouldn't want to acquire Noel because the possibility of trading for Cousins is still out there. I actually think DA (and Brad) would be happy to have both. We would have control over Noel's rights this offseason and also have Cousins under contract. There would be no need to save cap space for this offseason.

I think it has to be about what Philly is currently asking for. If he could be had for our 2018 first and James Young, you would think Danny would have pounced already. As has been stated, we don't want to give up big assets in a trade for Noel if we aren't necessarily going to re-sign him (because of Hayward, Blake, etc).

At this point, I actually think teams without cap space this offseason have the edge in acquiring Noel since they have nothing to lose by re-signing him. That is why getting Cousins might actually give us more of an edge.

Why would we need both, though? Do you think Noel's going to be getting "bench" money this summer?

Why not? It would sure up our big man rotation for many seasons to come. If we have the ability to get them both, then we should (unless Noel is so vastly overpaid this summer).

When we become a 'contender' we will have very few options to add quality young players to our team because we will be well over the cap. This will be exacerbated when AB, IT, and Smart are up for new contracts. I would love to have Noel as our third big and he would fit in nicely beside Al and Cousins.

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2016, 06:03:12 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Well, that is interesting:

https://twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA/status/810216729624322048

https://twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA/status/810217032876773377

Brown keeps referring to Noel with "as long as I have him." I mean, everybody in the league knows he's on the trade block and will be traded before the deadline, but it's still interesting to hear a coach so blatantly use this rhetoric nonetheless.

https://twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA/status/810205041818828800

Brown even admits that it "would be an extreme challenge" to keep all three on the roster this year.

Talk about showing your hand, not that everyone doesn't know it already.

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2016, 06:04:55 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Jpotter- you mentioned a couple of posts back that DA wouldn't want to acquire Noel because the possibility of trading for Cousins is still out there. I actually think DA (and Brad) would be happy to have both. We would have control over Noel's rights this offseason and also have Cousins under contract. There would be no need to save cap space for this offseason.

I think it has to be about what Philly is currently asking for. If he could be had for our 2018 first and James Young, you would think Danny would have pounced already. As has been stated, we don't want to give up big assets in a trade for Noel if we aren't necessarily going to re-sign him (because of Hayward, Blake, etc).

At this point, I actually think teams without cap space this offseason have the edge in acquiring Noel since they have nothing to lose by re-signing him. That is why getting Cousins might actually give us more of an edge.

Why would we need both, though? Do you think Noel's going to be getting "bench" money this summer?

Why not? It would sure up our big man rotation for many seasons to come. If we have the ability to get them both, then we should (unless Noel is so vastly overpaid this summer).

When we become a 'contender' we will have very few options to add quality young players to our team because we will be well over the cap. This will be exacerbated when AB, IT, and Smart are up for new contracts. I would love to have Noel as our third big and he would fit in nicely beside Al and Cousins.

Hmm, I'm not as sure. With matchups and how Brad likes to go small, I worry about chemistry and playing time issues with just Boogie and Horford, let alone Noel, too.

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2016, 06:18:43 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Hmm, I'm not as sure. With matchups and how Brad likes to go small, I worry about chemistry and playing time issues with just Boogie and Horford, let alone Noel, too.

I wonder, though, how much Brad likes going small—is it his preference no matter what, or does he often go small because Boston doesn't have much in the way of impact bigs?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2016, 06:24:51 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79

I wonder, though, how much Brad likes going small—is it his preference no matter what, or does he often go small because Boston doesn't have much in the way of impact bigs?
I think you're right but the numbers show the IT, AB and Smart combo doesn't work. We can probably expect less small ball if Jerebko keeps playing well.

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2016, 06:42:47 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
My prediction is hes traded to the Wolves. Min y needs front court help and could have alot of pieces that could entice philly (Muhammed, Lavine, Dunn, Rubio)

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2016, 06:45:36 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Last night was just Noel's 1st 2nd game back but I thought Brett Brown bungled the situation.  In the 1st half Noel played 2 four minute stretches without Embiid or Noel which wasn't bad.  In the 2nd half, Noel didn't play at all even though there was a 4 or 5 minute stretch where Embiid and Okafor weren't on the floor. 

Having their 3 bigs isn't optimal but it doesn't take rocket science to work out a decent rotation where Embiid gets 28min and Okafor and Noel get at least 20min each.  At least one of their bigs should be on the court at all times.  Illyasova should not be getting 27 minutes when all three of their bigs are available.  The Noel/Embiid combo needs to be used quite a bit as it projects to be their best big combo.  Okafor/Embiid should be used too.  I would avoid playing the Okafor/Noel combo.

You're saying this like Ilyasova isn't by far the best floor spacer they have among their bigs. Embiid/Okafor shouldn't be played more; it's a bad combination.

This situation isn't Brown's fault by any means; he doesn't have an optimal big rotation. One of the three bigs has to go. It simply isn't tenable to keep all three and there's no use in pretending that it can work.
Who said anything about keeping all three?  The point is they have all three of them now so Brown needs to do a better job getting them all playing time.  They need Noel playing 20min+ so they can get a reasonable return for him before the deadline.  There is no excuse for having a 4 minute period with Embiid, Okafor and Noel all on the bench.  There is no excuse for not trying out the Noel/Embiid combo.  Embiid/Okafor is better than Illyasova/Okafor.
Teams have plenty of video on Noel. They dont need to see more so playing him minutes doesnt increase his value. What is bringing down his value at the moment is poor health and bad attitudes behind the scenes. Reports are Noel is a problem off court with many of his hangers on being trouble. Teams usually dont want to go near that.
I disagree.  Right now the Noel storyline is all negative.  Noel didn't look as good last year because the Sixers tried to make the Okafor/Noel combo work.  Then there are the stories of his bad attitude and poor behavior.  The health issue is really being overblown.  He had an ACL injury in college that he fully recovered from and subsequently played to 2 NBA seasons.  He chose to have a minor elective surgery this fall and then he missed a couple games because of a twisted ankle. 

Noel needs to play to remind teams of how good he looked defensively in his rookie season and show there should be no injury concerns.  He needs to speak and present himself more positively.  Both Noel and the Sixers need the narrative to change so they can both get what they want.   

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2016, 09:45:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Last night was just Noel's 1st 2nd game back but I thought Brett Brown bungled the situation.  In the 1st half Noel played 2 four minute stretches without Embiid or Noel which wasn't bad.  In the 2nd half, Noel didn't play at all even though there was a 4 or 5 minute stretch where Embiid and Okafor weren't on the floor. 

Having their 3 bigs isn't optimal but it doesn't take rocket science to work out a decent rotation where Embiid gets 28min and Okafor and Noel get at least 20min each.  At least one of their bigs should be on the court at all times.  Illyasova should not be getting 27 minutes when all three of their bigs are available.  The Noel/Embiid combo needs to be used quite a bit as it projects to be their best big combo.  Okafor/Embiid should be used too.  I would avoid playing the Okafor/Noel combo.

You're saying this like Ilyasova isn't by far the best floor spacer they have among their bigs. Embiid/Okafor shouldn't be played more; it's a bad combination.

This situation isn't Brown's fault by any means; he doesn't have an optimal big rotation. One of the three bigs has to go. It simply isn't tenable to keep all three and there's no use in pretending that it can work.
Who said anything about keeping all three?  The point is they have all three of them now so Brown needs to do a better job getting them all playing time.  They need Noel playing 20min+ so they can get a reasonable return for him before the deadline.  There is no excuse for having a 4 minute period with Embiid, Okafor and Noel all on the bench.  There is no excuse for not trying out the Noel/Embiid combo.  Embiid/Okafor is better than Illyasova/Okafor.
Teams have plenty of video on Noel. They dont need to see more so playing him minutes doesnt increase his value. What is bringing down his value at the moment is poor health and bad attitudes behind the scenes. Reports are Noel is a problem off court with many of his hangers on being trouble. Teams usually dont want to go near that.
I disagree.  Right now the Noel storyline is all negative.  Noel didn't look as good last year because the Sixers tried to make the Okafor/Noel combo work.  Then there are the stories of his bad attitude and poor behavior.  The health issue is really being overblown.  He had an ACL injury in college that he fully recovered from and subsequently played to 2 NBA seasons.  He chose to have a minor elective surgery this fall and then he missed a couple games because of a twisted ankle. 

Noel needs to play to remind teams of how good he looked defensively in his rookie season and show there should be no injury concerns.  He needs to speak and present himself more positively.  Both Noel and the Sixers need the narrative to change so they can both get what they want.
[/quotetFans need to see more of players to see things. Teams dont. They know from extensive scouting and video who Noel is and what he can do. His value is based on that film, Philly needing to move a big, behind the scenes stuff and health. Teams simply dont need extra minutes for a month or so to know how they value Noel. Thats stuff fans make up.

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2016, 11:03:34 PM »

Offline mahcussmaht

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
Trading him for Mario Hezonja would be a smart gamble for them.

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2016, 11:47:01 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

TP.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2016, 11:49:00 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
My prediction is hes traded to the Wolves. Min y needs front court help and could have alot of pieces that could entice philly (Muhammed, Lavine, Dunn, Rubio)

If I were Minny, I might rather have Dieng at this point.

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2016, 12:41:46 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2016, 01:40:35 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

If I were Minny, I might rather have Dieng at this point.

Minnesota doesnt want another young player Thibs wants a veteran.  Between KAT and Deng they're covered