Author Topic: Noel Frustration: Celtics trade coming?  (Read 31139 times)

Noel Frustration: Celtics trade coming?
« on: December 17, 2016, 09:42:00 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18296002/nerlens-noel-philadelphia-76ers-says-too-good-playing-eight-minutes

Noel is clearly frustrated and rightfully so. PHI has messed up his ability to showcase his talents to get a large contract. As it stands, I can't see any team giving him more than 10m per year and even at that I think it's a stretch.

Proposed trade: http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6743354

To BOS: Nerlens Noel/Ersan Ilyasova

To PHI: Amir Johnson/James Young/2018 BOS 1st round pick (not Brooklyn pick)

I think this is the return PHI needs to realistically believe they can get at this stage and what a team would be willing to give up to a guy who believes he should get paid after a half season rental/tryout.

Re: Noel Frustration: Celtics trade coming?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 09:45:04 AM »

Offline JaylenBrown7

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
His agent is dan fegan right? probably his doing trying to blow the whole thing up. Watched the sixers game last night was better at postioning than people make him out to be and had a nice little hook shot

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 10:06:05 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
If Ainge wanted Noel, he would have acquired him already. I believe he doesn't want to trade assets for a half year rental of Noel, and wouldn't want to spend cap space on re-signing him.

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 10:11:20 AM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
If Ainge wanted Noel, he would have acquired him already. I believe he doesn't want to trade assets for a half year rental of Noel, and wouldn't want to spend cap space on re-signing him.

There is a difference between not wanting a player when he costs a lottery pick and taking on a player whose value has cratered. Noel is exactly what this team needs and worst case as a RFA they could decide to keep Noel at a decent deal and deal him next year. His value will never be lower than it is today.

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 10:43:55 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Last night was just Noel's 1st 2nd game back but I thought Brett Brown bungled the situation.  In the 1st half Noel played 2 four minute stretches without Embiid or Noel which wasn't bad.  In the 2nd half, Noel didn't play at all even though there was a 4 or 5 minute stretch where Embiid and Okafor weren't on the floor. 

Having their 3 bigs isn't optimal but it doesn't take rocket science to work out a decent rotation where Embiid gets 28min and Okafor and Noel get at least 20min each.  At least one of their bigs should be on the court at all times.  Illyasova should not be getting 27 minutes when all three of their bigs are available.  The Noel/Embiid combo needs to be used quite a bit as it projects to be their best big combo.  Okafor/Embiid should be used too.  I would avoid playing the Okafor/Noel combo. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 11:51:06 AM by tazzmaniac »

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 10:59:27 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
As has been hashed out on this board over and over again, getting Noel means one of two things. It means you are only getting half a season of rental of him, or you are punting on even the possibility of a max free agent next year. Even if we got a steal and signed Noel to 10m/year (probably unrealistic,) then you are saying "Nah, we will pass on even the remote possibility of trying to woo Griffin or Hayward."

Many of us may be willing to do that, but Ainge most likely isnt at this point.
#JKJB

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 11:10:17 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
As has been hashed out on this board over and over again, getting Noel means one of two things. It means you are only getting half a season of rental of him, or you are punting on even the possibility of a max free agent next year. Even if we got a steal and signed Noel to 10m/year (probably unrealistic,) then you are saying "Nah, we will pass on even the remote possibility of trying to woo Griffin or Hayward."

Many of us may be willing to do that, but Ainge most likely isnt at this point.

The new CBA may effectively squash Ainge's hope of landing a big FA and therefore increase interest in the Noel Option.

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 11:35:34 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

There is a difference between not wanting a player when he costs a lottery pick and taking on a player whose value has cratered. Noel is exactly what this team needs and worst case as a RFA they could decide to keep Noel at a decent deal and deal him next year. His value will never be lower than it is today.
Neither of these statements are necessarily true.  Ainge could be waiting as long as possible to get the best deal, Noel's value will continue to go down in the next 2 months leading to the deadline.

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 11:37:14 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I don't get the fascination with this player. It's wasted assets to try and trade for him. At best, he makes the C's marginally better. He's a nice defensive player but he's not a great rebounder and is basically a zero on offense. He does not fill the C's biggest need either (offense/scorer).

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 11:39:35 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Keep complaining Nerlens! The more difficult he seems the lower his price tag is. It seems like a  certainty that he won't sign next year and thus will get moved at the deadline.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 11:54:41 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I'd rather have Okafor

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 12:07:49 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I'd rather have Okafor

Okafor is untradeable right now!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2016, 12:10:22 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I'd rather have Okafor

Who wouldn't like to have a true center with unlimited offensive capacity LOCKED IN on a rookie contract until 2020, for all practical purposes, rather than a guy entering free agency under this new CBA wanting to get paid:-)))!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2016, 12:13:16 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I kind of like this from Noel.  If he were on our team doing that different but since it's philly I'm fine with it.

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2016, 12:25:36 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I'd rather have Okafor

Who wouldn't like to have a true center with unlimited offensive capacity LOCKED IN on a rookie contract until 2020, for all practical purposes, rather than a guy entering free agency under this new CBA wanting to get paid:-)))!!!

Smitty77
we all would. but what does that have to do with okafur?  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva